Ƶ

Moroccan authorities stop migration attempt into Spanish enclave of Ceuta

Moroccan authorities stop migration attempt into Spanish enclave of Ceuta
Members of Morocco’s Auxiliary Forces arrest a man as they deploy to prevent illegal crossings of the land border fence with Spain’s African enclave of Ceuta near Fnideq in northern Morocco on Sept. 15, 2024. (AFP)
Short Url
Updated 16 September 2024

Moroccan authorities stop migration attempt into Spanish enclave of Ceuta

Moroccan authorities stop migration attempt into Spanish enclave of Ceuta
  • Some attempted to breach a border fence that has long been a flashpoint for sporadic migration tensions, the Spanish Interior Ministry said
  • Moroccan authorities also arrested 60 people suspected of inciting a mass migration attempt on social networks

RABAT: Moroccan security forces stopped groups of people who sought to force their way across the border into Spain’s North African enclave of Ceuta following a call on social networks for a mass migration attempt, authorities said.
Some attempted to breach a border fence that has long been a flashpoint for sporadic migration tensions, but none successfully made it into Spain, the Spanish Interior Ministry said Monday. It said Spanish and Moroccan security efforts over recent days ″allowed the situation to be brought under control.”
Online messages in recent days had called for people to head for Ceuta on Sunday to cross the border into Europe. Videos posted by local networks showed groups of people in the hills around the Moroccan border town of Fnideq, and a heightened Moroccan security presence, including helicopters.
Moroccan authorities also arrested 60 people suspected of inciting a mass migration attempt on social networks, Moroccan intelligence agency DGSN said in a Facebook post.
Ceuta and Melilla — two tiny Spanish territories in North Africa bordering the Mediterranean — have long been targeted by migrants and refugees seeking better lives in Europe. Many attempt to climb over barbed wire fences encircling the autonomous cities or reaching the exclaves by sea.
Nationwide, Moroccan security forces stopped more than 45,000 migration attempts from January to early September, according to the Moroccan Interior Ministry. In August alone, more than 11,000 migration attempts were prevented in the region around Ceuta and another 3,000 in the area around Melilla, it said in a statement.
Last month, thousands of migrants attempted to cross into Ceuta, including hundreds of young people who tried to swim their way around controls, according to Spanish authorities.


Turkiye sets year-end goal for PKK peace framework

Turkiye sets year-end goal for PKK peace framework
Updated 44 sec ago

Turkiye sets year-end goal for PKK peace framework

Turkiye sets year-end goal for PKK peace framework
  • The commission held its first session on Aug. 5 under the chairmanship of parliamentary speaker Numan Kurtulmus
  • The 48-member commission is tasked with overseeing the political integration of the PKK and its fighters

ISTANBUL: Turkiye has given a parliamentary commission until the end of the year to lay the groundwork for a peace process with the Kurdish militant group PKK, the speaker of parliament said Friday.

The Kurdistan Workers’ Party (PKK) announced an end in May to a decades-long insurgency that claimed more than 50,000 lives, saying it was taking up a democratic struggle to defend the rights of the Kurdish minority.

Two months later, its fighters began laying down their weapons at a symbolic ceremony in northern Iraq, after which the Turkish parliament set up the cross-party commission to manage the emerging peace process.

The move came after months of indirect contacts between the Turkish government and the PKK’s jailed founder, Abdullah Ocalan.

The commission, which is tasked with preparing the legal framework for the peace process, held its first session on August 5 under the chairmanship of parliamentary speaker Numan Kurtulmus.

He said Friday it would continue working until year’s end.

“The decision we made upon the establishment of the commission was to conclude its work on December 31,” he told state news agency Anadolu, saying the deadline was extendible.

“If necessary, it can be extended by two-month periods.”

The 48-member commission is tasked with overseeing the political integration of the PKK and its fighters, as well as deciding the fate of its 76-year-old leader, who has been held in solitary confinement on Imrali prison island since 1999.

Among those participating are 25 lawmakers from the ruling bloc of President Recep Tayyip Erdogan’s AKP and its nationalist ally MHP, 10 from the main opposition CHP and four from the pro-Kurdish DEM.

DEM, Turkiye’s third-biggest party, has played a key role in facilitating an emerging peace deal, sending a specialized delegation to hold regular meetings with Ocalan on Imrali island — the latest of which took place on Thursday.

In a statement on Friday, the so-called Imrali delegation said they had held a three-hour meeting with Ocalan about the ongoing process.

“He said democratic society, peace and integration were the three key concepts of this process and that results could be achieved on this basis,” it said.


Journalist Mariam Dagga’s final images show where she was killed by an Israeli strike in Gaza

Journalist Mariam Dagga’s final images show where she was killed by an Israeli strike in Gaza
Updated 16 min 33 sec ago

Journalist Mariam Dagga’s final images show where she was killed by an Israeli strike in Gaza

Journalist Mariam Dagga’s final images show where she was killed by an Israeli strike in Gaza
  • Dagga and other reporters regularly based themselves at Nasser Hospital in Khan Younis during the war
  • She documented the experiences of ordinary Palestinians who had been displaced

GAZA CITY: The last photos taken by Mariam Dagga show the damaged stairwell outside a hospital in the Gaza Strip where she would be killed by an Israeli strike moments later.

Dagga, a visual journalist who freelanced for The Associated Press, was among 22 people, including five reporters, killed Monday when Israeli forces struck Nasser Hospital twice in quick succession, according to health officials.

The photos, retrieved from her camera on Wednesday, show people walking up the staircase after it was damaged in the first strike while others look out the windows of the main health facility in southern Gaza.

The Israeli military said it targeted what it believed was a Hamas surveillance camera, without providing evidence. Witnesses and health officials said the first strike killed a cameraman from the Reuters news agency doing a live television shot and a second person who was not named. A senior Hamas official denied that Hamas was operating a camera at the hospital.

Dagga, 33, and other reporters regularly based themselves at Nasser Hospital in Khan Younis during the war. She documented the experiences of ordinary Palestinians who had been displaced from their homes, and doctors who treated wounded or malnourished children.

Algeria’s ambassador to the United Nations, his voice breaking and on the verge of tears, read a letter Wednesday to the UN Security Council that Dagga wrote days before she was killed.

It was addressed to her 13-year-old son, Ghaith, who left Gaza at the start of the war to live with his father in the United Arab Emirates.

Holding up a photo of Dagga, Amar Bendjama called her “a young and beautiful mother” whose only weapon was a camera.

“Ghaith. You are the heart and soul of your mother,” Bendjama quoted Dagga as writing. “When I die, I want you to pray for me, not to cry for me.”

“I want you never, never to forget me. I did everything to keep you happy and safe and when you grow, when you marry, and when you have a daughter, name her Mariam after me.”


Besieged Sudan city faces fiercest paramilitary assault yet

Besieged Sudan city faces fiercest paramilitary assault yet
Updated 35 min 55 sec ago

Besieged Sudan city faces fiercest paramilitary assault yet

Besieged Sudan city faces fiercest paramilitary assault yet
  • UN says El-Fasher, the North Darfur state capital where about 300,000 people live, has become an “epicenter of child suffering“
  • Those able to escape the increasingly unlivable city have said the road out is lined with dead bodies

AL-FASHIR, Sudan: In a Sudanese city long besieged by paramilitary forces, the war has taken an even more violent and terrifying turn, leaving residents facing hunger and death with little chance of escaping.

The paramilitary Rapid Support Forces (RSF), at war with the regular army since April 2023, has launched its fiercest assault to date on El-Fasher, the only major city in the western Darfur region still in army hands.

Witnesses, volunteer groups and aid workers have reported in recent weeks intensifying RSF bombardment of El-Fasher and a nearby displacement camp, with relentless artillery fire, drone strikes and ground incursions.

The United Nations says El-Fasher, the North Darfur state capital where about 300,000 people live, has become an “epicenter of child suffering.”

Those able to escape the increasingly unlivable city have said the road out is lined with dead bodies.

Mohamed Khamis Douda, a humanitarian worker who fled to El-Fasher in April from the Zamzam displacement camp, said the city faces “famine and other disasters.”

He told AFP that disease is rampant, clean water is gone and medicine is unavailable, impacting especially the many wounded by shrapnel or gunfire.

“We’re pleading with all parties to intervene, stop the fighting and help save the lives of those still left.”

El-Fasher, which the RSF has besieged since May 2024, is effectively sealed off — no aid, no trade and hardly any way out.

Constant bombardment and restricted communications make it nearly impossible to share images of life inside El-Fasher, and residents say filming certain areas exposes them to attacks.

Rare footage obtained by AFP shows children crouched around a single pot of food in a smoke-filled communal kitchen, their faces gaunt and expressionless.

Nearby, women swirl long wooden paddles through a simmering mass of brown paste as families, silent and sunken-eyed, wait for whatever comes next.

The high-pitched shriek of incoming mortars or the crack of gunfire are ever-present as RSF fighters push to capture the city and the adjacent Abu Shouk camp, pressing a campaign that in April brought Zamzam under their control.

Famine was declared last year in Abu Shouk, Zamzam and a third camp near El-Fasher, with the United Nations warning it could spread to the city.

Most residents rely on communal kitchens to eat, but even these lifelines are vanishing as supplies dry up.

In one crowded kitchen, the traditional Sudanese dish assida is nearly unrecognizable — its usual grain base replaced with ombaz, a foul animal feed that can be deadly for humans.

This week, a volunteer-run aid group said a mother, her three children and their two grandmothers had died after weeks of surviving on ombaz.

According to UN estimates, nearly 40 percent of children under five in El-Fasher are either acutely or severely malnourished.

Community leader Adam Essa told AFP this month that at least five children die daily in Abu Shouk alone.

Since losing the capital Khartoum to the army in March, the RSF has shifted west to tighten its hold on Darfur, aiming to establish a rival authority and risking Sudan’s territorial fragmentation.

The latest offensive has targeted El-Fasher’s airport, some neighborhoods and the Abu Shouk camp, which is now largely under RSF control, as is the local police headquarters.

In just 10 days this month, the UN reported at least 89 people killed in El-Fasher and Abu Shouk.

Zamzam’s capture has triggered massive displacement toward El-Fasher and further west to towns like Tawila.

Now the violence at Abu Shouk raises fears of another mass exodus.

But the only escape route from El-Fasher, a 70-kilometer (45-mile) rugged road westward, has become a graveyard, strewn with dozens of unburied bodies.

Local activists said many have died from hunger, thirst or violence.

An AFP correspondent in Tawila said many arrivals are traumatized and exhausted, often bearing gunshot wounds from attacks along the route.

Ibrahim Essa, 47, had tried to flee El-Fasher with his family in May but was forced to turn back amid clashes.

Now, the family hide in a makeshift bomb shelter carved into the earth behind their home.

“If there’s shelling, we all go into the bunker,” he told AFP.
Civil servant Saleh Essa, 42, had walked for three days with his family, traveling under cover of darkness to avoid checkpoints until they finally reached Tawila.

“It is safe here, but water and food are scarce,” he said.

For some, escape is not an option.

“We have no money,” said 37-year-old Halima Hashim, a schoolteacher and mother of four.

`Staying behind is like a slow death, she said, but “leaving is dangerous.”


More than 800 Iraqis repatriated from notorious Syria camp

More than 800 Iraqis repatriated from notorious Syria camp
Updated 29 August 2025

More than 800 Iraqis repatriated from notorious Syria camp

More than 800 Iraqis repatriated from notorious Syria camp
  • More than 800 Iraqi nationals left northeast Syria’s Al-Hol camp on Thursday, the latest batch to quit the notorious camp that holds suspected relatives of Daesh fighters

DAMASCUS: More than 800 Iraqi nationals left northeast Syria’s Al-Hol camp on Thursday, the facility’s director told AFP, the latest batch to quit the notorious camp that holds suspected relatives of Daesh group fighters.
Jihan Hanan, director of the Kurdish-administered camp, said that “there are approximately 850 people departing today.”
She added that since the start of the year, about 10,000 Iraqis have left Al-Hol in 11 batches.
Kurdish-run camps and prisons in Syria’s northeast hold tens of thousands of people, many with alleged or perceived links to IS, more than six years after the group’s territorial defeat in Syria.
Al-Hol is northeast Syria’s largest camp, and its residents have been living in dire conditions.
Umm Mahmud, 60, an Iraqi woman departing the camp, told AFP: “We’ve suffered greatly in Al-Hol, psychologically, physically and financially.”
“Look at the children, look how happy they are. It’s like a holiday,” she said.
Hanan said the camp now housed approximately 27,000 people, including some 15,000 Syrians and about 6,300 foreign women and children from 42 nationalities, in addition to some 5,000 Iraqis.
While many Western countries refuse to take back their nationals, Baghdad has taken the lead by accelerating repatriations and urging others to follow suit.
In February, Kurdish official Sheikhmous Ahmed said the administration aimed to empty camps in Syria’s northeast of thousands of displaced Syrians and Iraqi refugees, including suspected relatives of jihadists, by the end of the year.
IS seized swathes of Syria and neighboring Iraq in 2014, before being territorially defeated in Syria in 2019, but has since maintains a presence there, particularly in the country’s vast desert.


UAE opens Gaza water pipeline

UAE opens Gaza water pipeline
Updated 29 August 2025

UAE opens Gaza water pipeline

UAE opens Gaza water pipeline
  • Relief for Palestinian families who have endured a severe shortage of drinking water since the Israel-Hamas war began in late 2023

DUBAI: The UAE on Friday inaugurated a 7.5-km pipeline that will deliver desalinated water from Emirati desalination plants in Egypt to the Gaza Strip.

It will provide relief to Palestinian families who have endured a severe shortage of drinking water since the Israel-Hamas war began in late 2023.

The pipeline, built under the UAE’s Operation Chivalrous Knight 3, has a capacity of about 2 million gallons per day, serving about 1 million people.

It is connected to the Al-Buraq reservoir in Khan Younis, with a capacity of 5,000 cubic meters, ensuring additional areas gain access to clean water, state news agency WAM reported.

The UAE has previously established six desalination plants, provided reservoirs and tankers, and maintained wells for Palestinians in Gaza, WAM added.

The UAE is also cooperating with other countries and organizations, including Jordan and Indonesia, to conduct airdrops under the Birds of Goodness operation, delivering essential food supplies for the people of Gaza.