Ƶ

Senegal ruling party claims ‘large victory’ in elections

Senegal ruling party claims ‘large victory’ in elections
Election workers count ballot papers following early legislative election at a polling station in Dakar, Senegal November 17, 2024. (Reuters)
Short Url
Updated 18 November 2024

Senegal ruling party claims ‘large victory’ in elections

Senegal ruling party claims ‘large victory’ in elections
  • President Bassirou Diomaye Faye’s Pastef party had emerged as the vote winner in most of the first polling stations giving their provisional results, according to media reports, beating the two main opposition parties

DAKAR: Senegal’s ruling party claimed it had won a comfortable victory in Sunday’s legislative elections, paving the way for it to deliver an ambitious reform agenda eight months after sweeping to power.
Voting took place peacefully across the West African country, where the governing Pastef party said 90 to 95 percent of ballots had already been counted.
“I pay homage to the Senegalese people for the large victory that it has given to Pastef,” government spokesman Amadou Moustapha Ndieck Sarre told TFM television.
President Bassirou Diomaye Faye’s Pastef party had emerged as the vote winner in most of the first polling stations giving their provisional results, according to media reports, beating the two main opposition parties.
Faye secured victory in March pledging economic transformation, social justice and a fight against corruption — raising hopes among a largely youthful population facing high inflation and widespread unemployment.
But an opposition-led parliament hampered the government’s first months in power, prompting Faye to dissolve the chamber in September and call snap elections as soon as the constitution allowed him to do so.
“I hope that Pastef will win the elections to gain a majority so that they can better carry out their mandate,” said Pascal Goudiaby, a 56-year-old voter in Dakar.
“The priority is unemployment, young people are facing so much unemployment,” he said.
Faye appointed his firebrand mentor Ousmane Sonko as prime minister. Sonko’s own bid to run for president had been blocked following a three-year deadly standoff with the former authorities.
The pair promised a leftist pan-African agenda, vowing to diversify political and economic partnerships, review hydrocarbon and fishing contracts and re-establish Senegal’s sovereignty, which they claimed had been sold abroad.
Mademba Ndiaye, a 20-year-old student, was voting for the first time.
“It’s one of the only ways we can really have an impact on society, and I think that if we don’t vote, we couldn’t really complain about what happens in society afterwards,” he said.
Various actors reported that the turnout on Sunday was typically lower than in the presidential election.
Senegal’s roughly 7.3 million registered voters were called to elect 165 MPs for five-year terms.
Voters have historically confirmed their presidential choice during parliamentary elections, say analysts.
“I think that whoever you gave your confidence to in the presidential election, you need to renew your confidence in him so that he can achieve what he started,” said 56-year-old voter Toure Aby.
“We want life to be less expensive for the Senegalese,” she added. “Everything’s expensive: water, electricity, food.”
Voters continued a long democratic tradition in Senegal, widely seen as a stable outlier in a coup-plagued region.
Faye and Sonko both called for calm as they cast their ballots.
“Democracy is expressed in peace and stability, and I believe that in a democracy there is no room for violence,” Sonko said in the southern city of Ziguinchor.
Reminiscent of his years as a fiery opposition leader, he had called for vengeance after attacks against his supporters, but later urged restraint.
Clashes were only sporadic in the run-up to the vote. Although some agreements have been reached between coalitions, the opposition remains fragmented.
Former president Macky Sall is leading an opposition grouping from abroad called Takku Wallu Senegal. On Sunday, it claimed the vote was marred by “massive fraud organized by Pastef,” without providing details.
Sall left power in April after triggering one of the worst crises in decades with a last-minute postponement of the presidential election.
Former prime minister and presidential runner-up Amadou Ba and Dakar Mayor Barthelemy Dias are also heading coalitions.
The opposition has accused the new government of inaction, amateurism and a desire to settle scores with the previous administration.
Unemployment stands at more than 20 percent and scores of people continue to risk their lives every month attempting to reach Europe by boat.
The government said an audit of public finances revealed a wider budget deficit than previously announced.
Moody’s downgraded Senegal’s credit rating and placed the country under observation.
The new authorities have lowered the price of household goods such as rice, oil and sugar and launched a series of reviews.
They also launched justice system reform and presented an ambitious 25-year development plan aimed at transforming the economy and public policy.


Pakistan evacuates half a million people stranded by floods

Pakistan evacuates half a million people stranded by floods
Updated 20 sec ago

Pakistan evacuates half a million people stranded by floods

Pakistan evacuates half a million people stranded by floods
  • Three transboundary rivers that cut through Punjab province have swollen to exceptionally high levels
  • Overall, more than 1.5 million people have been affected by the flooding
LAHORE, Pakistan: Nearly half a million people have been displaced by flooding in eastern Pakistan after days of heavy rain swelled rivers, relief officials said Saturday, as they carried out a massive rescue operation.
Three transboundary rivers that cut through Punjab province, which borders India, have swollen to exceptionally high levels, affecting more than 2,300 villages.
Nabeel Javed, the head of the Punjab government’s relief services, said 481,000 people stranded by the floods have been evacuated, along with 405,000 livestock.
Overall, more than 1.5 million people have been affected by the flooding.
“This is the biggest rescue operation in Punjab’s history,” Irfan Ali Khan, the head of the province’s disaster management agency, added at a press conference.
He said more than 800 boats and over 1,300 rescue personnel were involved in evacuating families from affected areas, mostly located in rural areas near the banks of the three rivers.
The latest spell of monsoon flooding since the start of the week has killed 30 people, he said, with hundreds left dead throughout the heavier than usual season that began in June.
“No human life is being left unattended. All kinds of rescue efforts are continuing,” Khan said.
More than 500 relief camps have been set up to provide shelter to families and their livestock.
In the impoverished town of Shahdara, on the outskirts of the provincial capital of Lahore, dozens of families were gathered in a school after fleeing the rising water in their homes.
“Look at all the women sitting with me – they’re helpless and distressed. Everyone has lost everything. Their homes are gone, their belongings destroyed. We couldn’t even manage to bring clothes for their children,” 40-year-old cleaner Tabassum Suleman told AFP.
Rains continued throughout Saturday, including in Lahore, the country’s second-largest city, where an entire housing development was half submerged by water.
Retired shop owner Sikandar Mughal attempted to access his home but the water was still too high.
“When the situation got worse and the water level reached the garage of my house, I took my bike and ran for my life,” the 61-year-old said.
“It’s been two days now since I left. I did not even get a chance to get my clothes so that I could change.”
In mid-August, more than 400 Pakistanis were killed in a matter of days by landslides caused by torrential rains on the other side of the country, in Khyber Pakhtunkhwa, close to Afghanistan and the only province held by the opposition to the federal authorities.
In 2022, unprecedented monsoon floods submerged a third of Pakistan, with the southern province of Sindh the worst affected area.

Three arrested after appeals court ruling on UK migrant hotel

Three arrested after appeals court ruling on UK migrant hotel
Updated 10 min 57 sec ago

Three arrested after appeals court ruling on UK migrant hotel

Three arrested after appeals court ruling on UK migrant hotel
  • The case came after a resident at the Bell Hotel was charged with sexually assaulting a local girl, sparking weeks of protests
  • More than 50,000 migrants have made the dangerous crossing since Keir Starmer became prime minister

LONDON: Three men were arrested after two police officers suffered minor injuries during a protest outside a UK hotel used to house asylum seekers, police said Saturday.
The new protests, the latest episode in a bitter national debate over immigration policy, came after an appeals court on Friday overturned a lower-court decision temporarily blocking the use of the protest-hit hotel at Epping, northeast of London, to house asylum-seekers.
“The overwhelming majority of people in Epping tonight clearly wanted their voices to be heard and they did that safely and without the need for a police response,” said Assistant Chief Constable Glen Pavelin of Essex police.
“However, the right to protest does not include a right to commit crime and tonight a small number of people were arrested. Two officers sustained injuries which are thankfully not serious,” he added.
The case came after a resident at the Bell Hotel was charged with sexually assaulting a local girl, sparking weeks of protests that have at times turned violent.
The protests in Epping have spread to other parts of Britain, amid growing frustration at the continued arrival of small boats packed with migrants across the English Channel from France.
More than 50,000 migrants have made the dangerous crossing since the Labour Party’s Keir Starmer became prime minister in July 2024.
The three arrested men remained in custody, Essex police said.


One dead, five injured as car slams into crowd in France: prosecutors

One dead, five injured as car slams into crowd in France: prosecutors
Updated 57 min 26 sec ago

One dead, five injured as car slams into crowd in France: prosecutors

One dead, five injured as car slams into crowd in France: prosecutors

ROUEN, France: A car slammed into a crowd in the town of Evreux in northern France early Saturday, killing one person and injuring five others, prosecutors told AFP.
After an altercation at a wine bar, “a person allegedly went to fetch a vehicle” and “deliberately reversed at high speed into a crowd outside the establishment,” prosecutor Remi Coutin said, adding that two people were in critical condition.


EU top diplomat ‘not optimistic’ on sanctioning Israel

EU top diplomat ‘not optimistic’ on sanctioning Israel
Updated 54 min 23 sec ago

EU top diplomat ‘not optimistic’ on sanctioning Israel

EU top diplomat ‘not optimistic’ on sanctioning Israel
  • EU foreign policy chief Kaja Kallas: ‘I’m not very optimistic, and today we are definitely not going to adopt decisions’

COPENHAGEN: EU foreign policy chief Kaja Kallas said Saturday she was “not optimistic” the bloc would take action against Israel over the war in Gaza due to splits between member states.
Foreign ministers meeting in Denmark will discuss a proposal to suspend EU funding to Israeli start-ups as initial punishment for the situation in Gaza.
But the bloc has so far failed to garner the majority needed to take that step — let alone move ahead with more forceful measures against Israel.
“I’m not very optimistic, and today we are definitely not going to adopt decisions,” Kallas told journalists at the start of the Denmark meeting.
“It sends a signal that we are divided.”
Splits within the European Union between countries backing Israel and those favoring the Palestinians have seen the 27-nation bloc often left hamstrung in the face of the dire humanitarian crisis in Gaza.
A string of EU countries are pushing for more far-reaching punishment for Israel, but have been frustrated.
Denmark’s foreign minister Lars Lokke Rasmussen, whose country holds the EU’s rotating presidency, insisted the bloc “must change words into action.”
He said Copenhagen backed suspending trade cooperation with Israel, sanctioning far-right Israeli ministers, and banning imports from illegal settlements.
Israel is facing pressure at home and abroad to end its offensive in Gaza, where the vast majority of the population has been displaced at least once and the United Nations has declared a famine.
The war in Gaza began after Hamas’s October 2023 attack on Israel resulted in the deaths of 1,219 people, mostly civilians, according to an AFP tally based on Israeli figures.
Israel’s retaliatory offensive has killed at least 63,025 Palestinians, mostly civilians, according to figures from the health ministry in Gaza that the UN considers reliable.


Floods, landslides kill at least 11 in India’s Jammu region

Floods, landslides kill at least 11 in India’s Jammu region
Updated 30 August 2025

Floods, landslides kill at least 11 in India’s Jammu region

Floods, landslides kill at least 11 in India’s Jammu region
  • An intense monsoon rainstorm in the Indian-administered territory since Tuesday has caused widespread chaos
  • Floods and landslides are common during the June-September monsoon season

SRINAGAR, India: Floods and landslides triggered by record-breaking rain killed at least 11 people, including four children, in India’s Jammu and Kashmir, officials said Saturday.
An intense monsoon rainstorm in the Indian-administered territory since Tuesday has caused widespread chaos, with raging water smashing into bridges and swamping homes.
A local disaster official said that Ramban and Reasi districts were hit by heavy rainfall and landslides on Friday night, killing 11 people.
One child aged five was trapped in the debris and still missing, he added.
On Wednesday, a landslide slammed the pilgrimage route to the Hindu shrine of Vaishno Devi in Jammu, killing 41 people.
India’s Meteorological Department said the torrential rain had smashed records at two locations in the region.
Jammu and Udhampur recorded their highest 24-hour rainfall on Wednesday, with 296 millimeters (11.6 inches) in Jammu, nine percent higher than the 1973 record, and 629.4 mm (24.8 inches) in Udhampur – a staggering 84 percent surge over the 2019 mark.
Floods and landslides are common during the June-September monsoon season, but experts say climate change, coupled with poorly planned development, is increasing their frequency, severity and impact.
Climate experts from the Himalayan-focused International Center for Integrated Mountain Development warn that a spate of disasters illustrates the dangers when extreme rain combines with mountain slopes weakened by melting permafrost, as well as building developments in flood-prone valleys.
Powerful torrents driven by intense rain smashed into Chisoti village in Indian-administered Kashmir on August 14, killing at least 65 people and leaving another 33 missing.
Floods on August 5 overwhelmed the Himalayan town of Dharali in India’s Uttarakhand state and buried it in mud. The likely death toll from that disaster is more than 70 but has not been confirmed.