Ƶ

Thais send over 100 smuggled tortoises home to Tanzania

In this photograph released by Interpol, a Thai official puts radiated tortoises in crates for their journey to Tanzania on Thursday. (AP)
In this photograph released by Interpol, a Thai official puts radiated tortoises in crates for their journey to Tanzania on Thursday. (AP)
Short Url
Updated 24 January 2025

Thais send over 100 smuggled tortoises home to Tanzania

Thais send over 100 smuggled tortoises home to Tanzania
  • The smuggler fled Thailand but was eventually tracked down and arrested in Bulgaria, Interpol said

BANGOK: More than a hundred baby tortoises, most of them dead, have been returned to Tanzania from Thailand as evidence in a case against a wildlife smuggling network, the international police organization Interpol said Friday.
The 116 tortoises were discovered hidden in the luggage of a Ukrainian woman at Bangkok’s Suvarnabhumi Airport more than two years ago, it said. Of the total, 98 have since died, but all were handed over Thursday for use in criminal proceedings in a ceremony attended by Thai and Tanzanian officials,
Interpol said. No reason was given for the deaths.
They included endangered or vulnerable species such as pancake tortoises, radiated tortoises and Aldabra giant tortoises. All are protected under the Convention on International Trade in Endangered Species.
Tortoises are commonly removed from the wild for sale as exotic pets.
The smuggler fled Thailand but was eventually tracked down and arrested in Bulgaria, Interpol said. Her arrest helped police map a larger wildlife trafficking network, resulting in the arrests of 14 additional suspects in an operation involving Thai and Tanzanian police and officers from Interpol.
The surviving tortoises will be quarantined and cared for while experts assess whether they can be put back into their natural habitat.


Canada and India name new top envoys as they restore relations after a dispute

Canada and India name new top envoys as they restore relations after a dispute
Updated 30 sec ago

Canada and India name new top envoys as they restore relations after a dispute

Canada and India name new top envoys as they restore relations after a dispute
  • Ties strained over Canada's claim that the Indian government played a role in the 2023 assassination of a Canadian Sikh activist
  • Canadian PM Carney and India's PM Modi agreed to restore their top diplomats when they met duringthe G7 summit last June

OTTAWA, Canada: India and Canada named new high commissioners to each other’s capitals Thursday as they restored relations 10 months after expelling the top envoys in a dispute over an alleged political assassination.
Foreign Affairs Minister Anita Anand said Christopher Cooter will be Canada’s new high commissioner to India. India’s foreign ministry said it will assign its current envoy to Spain, Dinesh Patnaik, to Ottawa “shortly.”
Relations between Canada and India have been strained since Canadian police accused New Delhi of playing a role in the June 2023 assassination of a Canadian Sikh activist near Vancouver. Police also have uncovered evidence of an intensifying campaign against Canadian citizens by agents of the Indian government.
Relations improved in June when Canadian Prime Minister Mark Carney invited Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi to the G7 summit in Alberta and both countries agreed to restore their top diplomats.
Nijjar, 45, was fatally shot in his pickup truck after he left the Sikh temple he led in Surrey, British Columbia. An Indian-born citizen of Canada, he owned a plumbing business and was a leader in what remains of a once-strong movement to create an independent Sikh homeland.
Four Indian nationals living in Canada were charged with Niijar’s murder.
Former Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau previously said Indian diplomats have been passing information about Canadians to the highest levels of the Indian government, and that Indian officials then shared that information with organized crime groups, resulting in violence against Canadians.
Trudeau said India violated Canada’s sovereignty. India rejected the accusations as absurd.
Canada is not the only country that has accused Indian officials of plotting an assassination on foreign soil. The US Justice Department announced criminal charges last year against a Indian government official in connection with an alleged foiled plot to kill a Sikh separatist leader living in New York City.
India has repeatedly criticized Canada for being soft on supporters of the Khalistan movement who live in Canada. The Khalistan movement is banned in India but has support among the Sikh diaspora, particularly in Canada. About 2 percent of Canada’s population is Sikh.
Cooter will take on the role after 35 years as a diplomat, including postings in Israel and South Africa, as well as in New Delhi 25 years ago.


Thai court to rule on PM’s fate after Hun Sen call leak

Thai court to rule on PM’s fate after Hun Sen call leak
Updated 13 min 40 sec ago

Thai court to rule on PM’s fate after Hun Sen call leak

Thai court to rule on PM’s fate after Hun Sen call leak
  • Paetongtarn’s case centers on her call with Hun Sen, Cambodia’s longtime ruler, during which she seemingly criticizing a Thai army general
  • The nine judges of the Constitutional Court will begin deliberations around 9:30 a.m. (0230 GMT) with a ruling expected from 3:00 p.m.

BANGKOK: Thailand’s Constitutional Court will decide on Friday whether to throw suspended Prime Minister Paetongtarn Shinawatra out of office over her handling of the country’s border row with Cambodia.
Paetongtarn, daughter of controversial billionaire ex-prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra, was suspended from office last month after being accused of failing to stand up for Thailand in a June call with powerful former Cambodian leader Hun Sen, audio of which was leaked online.

If the court sacks Paetongtarn, as it did her predecessor as prime minister a year ago, Thailand will face a political crisis, with no obvious candidate on hand to lead the fragile ruling coalition in parliament.
The nine judges will begin deliberations around 9:30 a.m. (0230 GMT) with a ruling expected from 3:00 p.m.
The proceedings come a week after a criminal court cleared Thaksin, 76, of royal insult charges in a case that could have seen him jailed for up to 15 years.
Paetongtarn’s case centers on her call with Hun Sen, Cambodia’s longtime ruler and father of its current premier, during which the pair discussed their respective countries’ then-brewing row over their disputed border.
Paetongtarn addressed Hun Sen as “uncle” and referred to a Thai military commander as her “opponent,” sparking a furious reaction in Thailand, where the armed forces hold huge sway.
Conservative lawmakers accused her of bending the knee to Cambodia and undermining the military, while Paetongtarn’s main coalition partner walked out in protest, almost collapsing her government.
She clung on to power but a group of senators turned to the Constitutional Court, arguing she should be removed from office for breaching constitutional provisions requiring “evident integrity” and “ethical standards” from ministers. The court suspended her on July 1.
The 39-year-old leader and her Pheu Thai party say she did her best to act in her country’s interests, and last week she answered judges’ questions in the case.
As well as causing a domestic furor, the phone call — released in full online by Hun Sen, to the Thai government’s fury — plunged relations between the neighbors into turmoil.
In July, the tensions spiralled into the two sides’ deadliest military clashes in decades, with more than 40 people killed and 300,000 forced to flee their homes along the border.

Uneasy coalition
Thai politics has been driven for two decades by a battle between the conservative, pro-military, pro-royalist elite and the Shinawatra clan, whom they consider a threat to the kingdom’s traditional social order.
Paetongtarn is the sixth prime minister from the political movement founded by her father to face judgment by the Constitutional Court.
Up to now, only one — Thaksin himself — has survived. The rest were all thrown out for reasons varying from vote-buying to appearing on a cookery TV show.
If Paetongtarn is ousted, the kingdom faces political paralysis, with no obvious candidate to take over her role.
She currently leads an uneasy coalition with a group of smaller conservative parties who were long bitterly opposed to Pheu Thai.
Under the Thai constitution, only candidates nominated for prime minister at the last general election are eligible for the office.
Of the nine names put forward by the main parties in the 2023 poll, four would be ineligible for various reasons; two are unpalatable to Pheu Thai; one no longer has the support of his party; one could face a court case of his own; and one is reportedly in poor health.
A new election would seem like the obvious solution, but it is not clear whether the current acting Prime Minister Phumtham Wechayachai can call polls, or whether only a prime minister approved by parliament has the right to do so.
 


Alabama town’s first Black mayor, who had been locked out of office, wins election

Alabama town’s first Black mayor, who had been locked out of office, wins election
Updated 43 min 37 sec ago

Alabama town’s first Black mayor, who had been locked out of office, wins election

Alabama town’s first Black mayor, who had been locked out of office, wins election
  • Newbern’s residents number just 133 people, with Blacks numbering whites 2-1
  • The election Tuesday was the town’s first since at least the 1960s

NEWBERN, Alabama: The first Black mayor of a tiny Alabama town overwhelmingly won election this week, four years after white residents locked him out of the town hall and refused to let him serve.Incumbent Mayor Patrick Braxton was elected as the mayor of Newbern, winning 66 votes to his opponent’s 26, according to results posted by the town. His victory puts a punctuation mark in the dispute over control of the town government that drew national attention.
“The people came out and spoke and voted. Now, there ain’t no doubt what they want for this town,” Braxton said in a telephone interview Wednesday night.
The election Tuesday was the town’s first since at least the 1960s, held under a federal settlement. Black residents had sued, challenging what they called the town’s “hand-me-down governance” and refusal to let Braxton serve after he ran unopposed for mayor in 2020.
Newbern’s residents number just 133 people. A library, the town hall, a mercantile and a flashing caution light anchor the downtown, about 40 miles (64 kilometers) west of Selma.
What the town had been without is elections.
Newbern’s mayor-council government had not been put to a vote for six decades. Instead, town officials held “hand-me-down” positions, with each mayor appointing a successor who appointed the council members, according to the lawsuit filed by Braxton and others. The result was an overwhelmingly white government in a town where Black residents outnumber white residents 2-1.
Braxton, a volunteer firefighter, qualified in 2020 to run for the nonpartisan position of mayor, and since he was the only candidate, he became the mayor-elect without an election. He then appointed a new town council, as other mayors have done.
But the locks were changed at the town hall, and Braxton was denied access to the town’s financial accounts. His lawsuit also alleged that outgoing council members held a secret meeting to set up a special election and “fraudulently reappointed themselves as the town council.”
“I didn’t get a chance to serve but one year out of the five years,” said Braxton, who finally occupied the office last year after a three-year legal battle.
Town officials had denied wrongdoing, arguing in court filings that Braxton’s claim to be mayor was “invalid.”
The settlement agreement included a promise to hold a mayoral election in 2025.
Braxton had one challenger this time — a white auctioneer and Realtor, Laird Cole.
“Mayor Braxton’s election represents a turning point for Newbern, restoring democratic governance, ensuring fair representation, and reaffirming that every resident has a voice in their local government,” Madison Hollon, program manager of political campaigns for the SPLC Action Fund, said Thursday. The group endorsed Braxton in the race.
The mayor said his lopsided victory should eliminate any “doubts people had hanging in their heads on if people want me.”
“It feels good the second time,” Braxton said.


Trump administration offers military funeral honors to Capitol rioter Ashli Babbitt

Trump administration offers military funeral honors to Capitol rioter Ashli Babbitt
Updated 29 August 2025

Trump administration offers military funeral honors to Capitol rioter Ashli Babbitt

Trump administration offers military funeral honors to Capitol rioter Ashli Babbitt
  • Babbitt was shot dead while attempting to climb through thewindow of a barricaded door leading to the Speaker’s Lobby inside the Capitol
  • Republicans, and the Trump administration agreed to pay just under $5 million to settle a wrongful-death lawsuit that her family filed over her shooting

WASHINGTON: The Trump administration is offering military funeral honors for Ashli Babbitt, the rioter who was killed at 35 by an officer in the Jan. 6, 2021, attack on the Capitol.
Babbitt was a US Air Force veteran from California who was shot dead wearing a Trump campaign flag wrapped around her shoulders while attempting to climb through the broken window of a barricaded door leading to the Speaker’s Lobby inside the Capitol.
Offering military honors to one of the Capitol rioters is part of President Donald Trump’s attempts to rewrite that chapter after the 2020 election as a patriotic stand, given he still denies he lost that election. Babbitt has gained martyr status among Republicans, and the Trump administration agreed to pay just under $5 million to settle a wrongful-death lawsuit that her family filed over her shooting.
Matthew Lohmeier, an under secretary of the Air Force, said on X that the decision was “long overdue,” and shared a post from a conservative legal group that was advocating for Babbitt’s family. The group, Judicial Watch, said the family had requested military honors from former President Joe Biden’s administration and had been denied.
In a statement, a US Air Force spokesperson said that “after reviewing the circumstances” of Babbitt’s death, military funeral honors were offered to the family. Babbitt was a senior airman.
The post shared by Lohmeier included a link to a letter the Air Force under secretary wrote to Babbitt’s family, inviting them to meet him at the Pentagon.
“After reviewing the circumstances of Ashli’s death, and considering the information that has come forward since then, I am persuaded that the previous determination was incorrect,” the Aug. 15 letter read. 


US-Venezuela tensions rise as US warships arrive in Southern Caribbean

US-Venezuela tensions rise as US warships arrive in Southern Caribbean
Updated 29 August 2025

US-Venezuela tensions rise as US warships arrive in Southern Caribbean

US-Venezuela tensions rise as US warships arrive in Southern Caribbean
  • US naval buildup targets Latin American drug cartels
  • Venezuela’s Maduro condemns US military presence as a threat

Tensions between the United States and Venezuela are rising amid a large US naval buildup in the Southern Caribbean and nearby waters, which US officials say aims to address threats from Latin American drug cartels.
US President Donald Trump has made cracking down on drug cartels a central goal of his administration, part of a wider effort to limit migration and secure the US southern border.
While US Coast Guard and Navy ships regularly operate in the Southern Caribbean, this buildup is significantly larger than usual deployments in the region.
A US official, speaking on the condition of anonymity, said on Thursday that seven US warships, along with one nuclear-powered fast attack submarine, were either in the region or were expected to be there in the coming week. Venezuelan President Nicolas Maduro has denounced the moves. The Pentagon has not indicated publicly what exactly the US mission will be, but the Trump administration has said it can now use the military to go after drug cartels and criminal groups and has directed the Pentagon to prepare options.
Venezuela on Thursday complained to UN Secretary-General Antonio Guterres about the US naval buildup, accusing Washington of violating the founding UN Charter. “It’s a massive propaganda operation to justify what the experts call kinetic action — meaning military intervention in a country which is a sovereign and independent country and is no threat to anyone,” Venezuela’s UN Ambassador Samuel Moncada told reporters after meeting with Guterres.
On Thursday, the White House said Trump was ready to use “every element of American power to stop drugs from flooding into our country.”
“Many Caribbean nations and many nations in the region have applauded the administration’s counter drug operations and efforts,” White House press secretary Karoline Leavitt told reporters.
The Trump administration designated Mexico’s Sinaloa Cartel and other drug gangs, as well as the Venezuelan criminal group Tren de Aragua, as global terrorist organizations in February. Part of the buildup is the USS San Antonio, USS Iwo Jima, and USS Fort Lauderdale. The ships are carrying 4,500 service members, including 2,200 Marines, sources have told Reuters.
The US military has also been flying P-8 spy planes in the region to gather intelligence, officials have said, though they have operated in international waters.
“Our diplomacy isn’t the diplomacy of cannons, of threats, because the world cannot be the world of 100 years ago,” said Maduro, whose government said last week it would send 15,000 troops to states along its western border with Colombia to combat drug trafficking groups.
Maduro has also called for civil defense groups to train each Friday and Saturday.
Maduro’s government regularly accuses the opposition and foreigners of conspiring with US entities such as the CIA to harm Venezuela, accusations the opposition and the US have always denied. It characterizes sanctions as “economic war.”