Ƶ

Togo holds first-ever senate vote despite opposition outcry

President of Togo Faure Gnassingbe. (AFP file photo)
President of Togo Faure Gnassingbe. (AFP file photo)
Short Url
Updated 15 February 2025

Togo holds first-ever senate vote despite opposition outcry

President of Togo Faure Gnassingbe. (AFP file photo)
  • A leading opposition group, the Alliance of Democrats for Integral Development, or ADDI, has confirmed that it would participate in Saturday’s elections

LOME: Municipal and regional councilors began voting on Saturday in Togo’s first-ever senatorial elections amid fears that President Faure Gnassingbe is looking to use the new constitution to hold on to power indefinitely.
Several opposition parties have said they will boycott the vote, and civil society groups have denounced the parliamentary reform for the West African nation of 9 million people as rigged.
The new constitution replaces the direct election of the head of state with a parliamentary system, making the presidential position merely honorific.
Power will be transferred to the president of the Council of Ministers, a position currently held by Gnassingbe, who has led the country since 2005 when he took over from his father, who had been in power for 38 years.
Under the previous constitution, Gnassingbe was limited to one last presidential run in an election set for this year.
More than 1,500 municipal councilors and 179 regional councilors will elect 41 out of 61 new senate members from the 89 candidates standing.
The president of the Council of Ministers, or Gnassingbe, will appoint the rest of the senators.
“It’s a new constitution that we have never tested. We had to test it to see the sides that are not good and to appreciate the rest,” said municipal councilor Vimenyo Koffi, who voted on Saturday morning in the capital, Lome.
A leading opposition group, the Alliance of Democrats for Integral Development, or ADDI, has confirmed that it would participate in Saturday’s elections.
But several other opposition parties, including the National Alliance for Change, or ANC, and the Democratic Forces for the Republic, or FDR, have said they would boycott it, calling the overhaul and Senate vote a “constitutional coup d’etat.”
The ANC on Wednesday expressed its “firm rejection of this anti-democratic process that aims to install an illegal and illegitimate republic.”
Earlier in the week, FDR slammed a “parody” vote and said the Senate would be a costly institution “while our municipalities and regions painfully lack the financial means to address the population’s vital needs.”
The president’s supporters say the constitutional change ensures more representation.
Gnassingbe’s governing party, the Union for the Republic, won legislative elections last April in a landslide.
Opponents had called the ballot an “electoral hold-up” marred by “massive fraud.”


Turkiye says Russia scales back Ukraine territorial demands

Turkiye says Russia scales back Ukraine territorial demands
Updated 43 sec ago

Turkiye says Russia scales back Ukraine territorial demands

Turkiye says Russia scales back Ukraine territorial demands
Istanbul: Russia is demanding Ukraine cede all of its eastern Donbas region, but would be willing to freeze the conflict in the south of the country along current front lines, Turkiye’s top diplomat has said.
Russia occupies around one-fifth of Ukraine’s territory, and has claimed to have annexed five of the country’s regions — Donetsk, Lugansk, Kherson and Zaporizhzhia, along with Crimea, which it seized in 2014.
At peace talks in Istanbul this year, Russia’s negotiators demanded Ukraine pull out of those regions entirely as a precondition to ending the conflict that started with Russia’s 2022 invasion.
But following a summit between Russian President Vladimir Putin and US President Donald Trump, Moscow has scaled back its demands, Turkiye’s Foreign Minister Hakan Fidan said.
“Now they have given up on that demand and are staying on the contact lines, except for one region ... There is currently a preliminary (agreement) regarding the return of 25-30 percent of Donetsk and maintaining the contact line in Zaporizhzhia and Kherson,” Fidan said in an interview with TGRT Haber on Thursday.
It was not clear who that agreement was between. Ukraine has repeatedly rejected territorial concessions, though President Volodymyr Zelensky has previously said Kyiv would need to secure the return of land through diplomacy, not on the battlefield.
Russia has had total control of Crimea since 2014 and already occupies practically the entire Lugansk region.
Though Moscow controls most of the Kherson and Zaporizhzhia regions, Ukraine holds the regional capitals there.
Asked about Fidan’s comments, Kremlin spokesman Dmitry Peskov said Moscow was “deliberately not disclosing all the details of the conversation between the two presidents in Alaska” as doing so would hinder the peace process.
The claimed shift in Russia’s position had previously been reported based on briefings by anonymous officials.
Turkiye has hosted three rounds of Russia-Ukraine talks in Istanbul in recent months that have failed to break the deadlock.
Though a deadly strike on Kyiv that killed at least 23 people on Thursday further set back progress toward peace, Fidan hailed some diplomatic movement.
“The fact they have stated this themselves and have agreed to have it guaranteed by a security mechanism in principle ... actually provides a truly remarkable framework in this war,” he added.
However, he acknowledged it would be difficult for Ukraine to give up its territory, including heavily fortified terrain that could leave Ukraine vulnerable.
“Once that territory is given up, the remaining area becomes a bit difficult to protect strategically,” he said.
“But when you factor in security mechanisms and guarantees, you have to look at how the issue will unfold.”

Indonesia police fire tear gas at protesters after driver’s death

Indonesia police fire tear gas at protesters after driver’s death
Updated 20 min 15 sec ago

Indonesia police fire tear gas at protesters after driver’s death

Indonesia police fire tear gas at protesters after driver’s death
  • Muzammil Ihsan, head of Indonesia’s largest student union, said that students will protest against police violence on Friday afternoon
  • An armored police vehicle hit and killed a motorcycle rideshare driver during clashes on Thursday

JAKARTA: Indonesian police fired tear gas Friday at hundreds of protesters rallying in the capital over the death of a motorcycle taxi driver, hours after the country’s president promised to investigate the incident.

Violent clashes between protesters and police broke out on Thursday over anger at higher wages and perceived lavish perks for lawmakers, as public discontent grows over the government’s handling of the economy.

The police response to the protests drew strong criticism after videos circulated on social media showing a black tactical vehicle running over a man.

President Prabowo Subianto promised Friday to investigate the death of gig motorcycle driver Affan Kurniawan, expressing “deepest condolences and sympathy” on behalf of the government.

“I have ordered the last night’s incident to be thoroughly and transparently investigated, and that the officers involved be held accountable,” he said in a statement.

The government will take “the strongest possible actions” if officers are found to have acted against proper conduct and prevailing regulations, he added.

Hundreds of protesters massed at the paramilitary police unit’s Jakarta headquarters on Friday afternoon to rally against the driver’s death when police fired tear gas to disperse the crowd, an AFP journalist at the scene said.

Protests have also spread to other major cities in Indonesia, including Surabaya in East Java and Medan in North Sumatra province.

On Thursday hundreds rallied near the Indonesian parliament in Jakarta over issues including hefty pay for lawmakers, whose monthly housing allowance of 50 million rupiah ($3,000) is nearly 10 times the minimum wage in Jakarta.

Labor groups also protested earlier, demanding better pay and for the government to take action against recent mass layoffs of workers.

Thousands of drivers gathered near the police mobile brigade headquarters in Jakarta Friday, demanding accountability for Kurniawan’s death.

Police cordoned off a stretch of road near the mobile brigade headquarters in central Jakarta.

They fired teargas in an attempt to disperse protesters, mostly drivers of taxi motorcycles know locally as “ojeks.”

“I joined the protest because I’m very concerned about the death of my fellow driver,” 52-year-old Muzakir said.

“We demand justice for Affan, for the perpetrators who ran him over to be tried as fairly as possible, and to be fired from their institution.”

Hundreds of gig motorcycle drivers, many dressed in their signature green and black jackets, shouted outside of the police’s local mobile brigade headquarters, hurling objects.

Authorities are questioning seven officers in connection with the incident, the police said.

“We have agreed that the seven suspected violators have been proven to have violated the police ethics codes,” the National Police’s head of internal affairs division, Abdul Karim told a press conference.

He said the officers would be detained for further investigation.

The protests are an early challenge for Prabowo, who has pledged fast, state-driven growth to transform Southeast Asia’s largest economy into a major global powerhouse.

But some of his policies, including widespread budget cuts announced this year to fund his flagship free meal program for schoolchildren and a new sovereign wealth fund, have sparked public discontent.


Thai court sacks PM Paetongtarn Shinawatra for ethics violation

Thai court sacks PM Paetongtarn Shinawatra for ethics violation
Updated 29 August 2025

Thai court sacks PM Paetongtarn Shinawatra for ethics violation

Thai court sacks PM Paetongtarn Shinawatra for ethics violation
  • Paetongtarn’s case centers on her call with Hun Sen, Cambodia’s longtime ruler, during which she seemingly criticizing a Thai army general
  • The nine judges of the Constitutional Court will begin deliberations around 9:30 a.m. (0230 GMT) with a ruling expected from 3:00 p.m.

BANGKOK: Thailand’s Constitutional Court dismissed Prime Minister Paetongtarn Shinawatra from office on Friday for an ethics violation after only a year in power, in another crushing blow to the Shinawatra political dynasty that could usher in a new period of turmoil.

Paetongtarn, who was Thailand’s youngest prime minister, becomes the sixth premier from or backed by the billionaire Shinawatra family to be removed by the military or judiciary in a tumultuous two-decade battle for power between the country’s warring elites.

In its verdict, the court said Paetongtarn violated ethics in a leaked June telephone call, during which she appeared to kowtow to Cambodia’s former leader Hun Sen when both countries were at the brink of an armed border conflict.

Fighting erupted weeks later and lasted five days.

The decision paves the way for the election by parliament of a new prime minister, a process that could be drawn out, with Paetongtarn’s ruling Pheu Thai party losing bargaining power and facing a challenge to shore-up a fragile alliance with a razor-thin majority.

The ruling brings a premature end to the premiership of the daughter and protege of influential tycoon Thaksin Shinawatra.

Paetongtarn, 39, was a political neophyte when she was thrust abruptly into the spotlight after the surprise dismissal of predecessor Srettha Thavisin by the same court a year ago.

Paetongtarn has apologized over the leaked call and said she was trying to avert a war.

She is the fifth premier in 17 years to be removed by the Constitutional Court, underlining its central role in an intractable power struggle between the elected governments of the Shinawatra clan and a nexus of powerful conservatives and royalist generals with far-reaching influence.

Uncertainty ahead

The focus will next shift to who will replace Paetongtarn, with Thaksin expected to be at the heart of a flurry of horse-trading between parties and other power-brokers to try to keep Pheu Thai in charge of the coalition.

Deputy premier Phumtham Wechayachai and the current cabinet will oversee the government in a caretaker capacity until a new prime minister is elected by the house, with no time limit on when that must take place. There are five people eligible to become prime minister, with only one from Pheu Thai, 77-year-old Chaikasem Nitisiri, a former attorney general with limited cabinet experience, who has maintained a low profile in politics.

Others include former premier Prayuth Chan-ocha, who has retired from politics and led a military coup against the last Pheu Thai government in 2014, and Anutin Charnvirakul, a deputy premier before he withdrew his party from Paetongtarn’s coalition over the leaked phone call.

The ruling thrusts Thailand into more political uncertainty at a time of simmering public unease over stalled reforms and a stuttering economy expected by the central bank to grow just 2.3 percent this year.

Any Pheu Thai administration would be a coalition likely to have only a slender majority and could face frequent parliamentary challenges from an opposition with huge public support that is pushing for an early election.

“Appointing a new prime minister...will be difficult and may take considerable time,” said Stithorn Thananithichot, a political scientist at Chulalongkorn University.

“It’s not easy for all parties to align their interests,” he said. “Pheu Thai will be at a disadvantage.”


Kabul blames Pakistan for airstrikes that killed 3 people in eastern Afghanistan

Kabul blames Pakistan for airstrikes that killed 3 people in eastern Afghanistan
Updated 29 August 2025

Kabul blames Pakistan for airstrikes that killed 3 people in eastern Afghanistan

Kabul blames Pakistan for airstrikes that killed 3 people in eastern Afghanistan
  • Afghanistan’s foreign ministry says Pakistani airstrikes have killed three civilians and wounded seven others in two eastern provinces of Afghanistan
  • Pakistan’s government and military have not commented on the strikes or the accusation

ISLAMABAD: Airstrikes that Afghanistan’s Taliban government blamed on neighboring Pakistan struck two eastern provinces of the country, killing at least three people, wounding seven others and damaging homes, officials and witnesses said Thursday.
In Kabul, the foreign ministry decried the strikes that took place late Wednesday in Nangarhar and Khost provinces, calling them a “provocative act” by Pakistan and summoning the Pakistani ambassador in Kabul.
The Afghan Defense Ministry also condemned the strikes. “Such barbaric and brutal actions benefit neither sides; rather intensify the distance between the two Muslim nations and fuel hatred. These irresponsible activities will have consequences,” it wrote on the X social media platform.
Neither the Pakistani government nor the military commented on the alleged strikes.
Kabul previously has accused Pakistan of launching airstrikes in Afghanistan against suspected hideouts of the Pakistani Taliban, a militant group banned in Pakistan and blamed for some of that country’s deadliest terrorist attacks.
In Nangarhar’s Shinwari district, members of a family whose house was reduced to rubble sifted through the debris to try to recover what they could.
“They dropped the first big bomb on my house. My house was completely destroyed,” said Shah Sawar, a resident of Nangarhar’s Shinwari district. “First I pulled a child out of the rubble, then I pulled four children and a woman out.”
Nangarhar’s deputy governor, Maulvi Azizullah Mustafa, said the strikes were fired by Pakistani drones. The Afghan foreign ministry said three people were killed and seven wounded in Nangarhar and Khost.
Kabul in December 2024 accused Pakistan of carrying out airstrikes against suspected hideouts of the Pakistani Taliban in Paktika province. Pakistan also did not acknowledge those strikes at the time. Kabul claimed hitting several points inside Pakistan in retaliation.
The latest violence comes a week after top diplomats from Pakistan, China and Afghanistan met in Kabul and pledged closer cooperation against terrorism. It also came three months after Pakistan and Afghanistan upgraded their diplomatic ties to improve bilateral relations.
However, relations between Islamabad and Kabul have remained tense since 2021, when the Afghan Taliban seized power, mainly over Kabul’s alleged support of the Pakistani Taliban, who have stepped up attacks on security forces and civilians in Pakistan in recent years.
Pakistan accuses Afghanistan of harboring the Pakistani Taliban, which is separate but closely allied to the Afghan Taliban. Kabul denies that, saying it does not allow anyone to use its soil against another country.


UK govt says Israeli officials not invited to London arms fair

UK govt says Israeli officials not invited to London arms fair
Updated 29 August 2025

UK govt says Israeli officials not invited to London arms fair

UK govt says Israeli officials not invited to London arms fair
  • Israeli government representatives will not be invited to attend a major London arms fair next month, a UK government spokesperson said Friday, amid worsening diplomatic relations between Britain
  • Israeli defense companies will still be allowed to attend the biennial event. But Israel slammed the move as “discrimination“

LONDON: Israeli government representatives will not be invited to attend a major London arms fair next month, a UK government spokesperson said Friday, amid worsening diplomatic relations between Britain and Israel over the Gaza conflict.
“We can confirm that no Israeli government delegation will be invited to attend DSEI UK 2025” in September, said a defense ministry statement emailed to AFP.
Israeli defense companies will still be allowed to attend the biennial event. But Israel slammed the move as “discrimination.”
Prime Minister Keir Starmer’s government has in recent months suspended arms export licenses to Israel for use in Gaza, suspended free trade talks with Israel and sanctioned two far-right Israeli ministers in protest at Israel’s conduct of the war.
“The Israeli government’s decision to further escalate its military operation in Gaza is wrong,” the UK government statement added.
“There must be a diplomatic solution to end this war now, with an immediate ceasefire, the return of the hostages and a surge in humanitarian aid to the people of Gaza,” it added.
Israel’s defense ministry reacted furiously to the ban.
“These restrictions amount to a deliberate and regrettable act of discrimination against Israel’s representatives,” said a defense ministry statement.
“Accordingly, the Israel ministry of defense will withdraw from the exhibition and will not establish a national pavilion,” it added.
Starmer last month announced that Britain will recognize a Palestinian state in September if Israel does not take steps, including agreeing to a truce in the Gaza war that was sparked by the Hamas attack on Israel in October 2023.
France in June blocked access to the stands of several Israeli arms manufacturers at the Paris Air show for displaying “offensive weapons.”
European Union foreign ministers are to discuss possible new sanctions against Israel and Hamas at a meeting in Copenhagen on Saturday. Sweden and the Netherlands have already called for more action.

The long road to Palestinian statehood
An Arab News Deep Dive
Enter
keywords