Ƶ

EU and Britain boost aid for Sudan at London conference

EU and Britain boost aid for Sudan at London conference
Britain's Foreign Secretary David Lammy delivers opening remarks during the London Sudan conference on Tuesday. (AP)
Short Url
Updated 15 April 2025

EU and Britain boost aid for Sudan at London conference

EU and Britain boost aid for Sudan at London conference
  • UK’s foreign minister David Lammy tells Sudan conference in London of a 'lack of political will' to end the conflict
  • Germany, France, EU and African Union co-host event but warring sides did not attend

LONDON: Britain and European Union countries led international calls Tuesday for “an immediate and permanent ceasefire” to end the devastating war in Sudan, as nations pledged more than 800 million euros in fresh humanitarian aid.
The international community also “stressed the necessity of preventing any partition of Sudan,” a statement at the end of a London conference said, as the conflict entered its third year.
The war erupted on April 15, 2023 in a bitter power struggle between rival generals leading Sudan’s regular army and the paramilitary Rapid Support Forces (RSF).
Neither of the strongmen, whose forces have been both accused of atrocities, were present for the London talks which gathered ministers from some 15 countries, and high-level representatives from international bodies such as the United Nations.
More than 13 million people have been uprooted and tens of thousands killed in what the United Nations describes as the world’s worst hunger and displacement crises.
“We simply cannot look away,” the UK’s foreign minister David Lammy said as he opened the talks.
“We have got to persuade the warring parties to protect civilians, to let aid in and across the country, and to put peace first,” he said.
Various peace efforts have so far failed to lead to a ceasefire.
But Lammy said it was “morally wrong” to give up on Sudan “when we see so many civilians beheaded, infants as young as one subjected to sexual violence, more people facing famine than anywhere else in the world.”
The continued fighting has fueled fears the tensions will spill over Sudan’s borders and stir further instability in the impoverished Horn of Africa region.
And the final statement “underscored that the non-interference by outside actors remains paramount.”
It also “rejected any plans, including any announcement of parallel governments, that risk the unity, sovereignty, and territorial integrity of Sudan.”
“There can be no military solution in Sudan, only an immediate, unconditional secession of hostilities,” warned the African Union’s commissioner for political affairs, Bankole Adeoye earlier in the day, urging inclusive peace talks.
A UN-backed assessment has concluded that famine is now blighting parts of the country.
Britain’s foreign ministry said more than 30 million people were in desperate need, and 12 million women and girls were in danger of gender-based violence.
Lammy unveiled 120 million pounds (140 million euros) in new aid for Sudan, with the EU pledging more than 522 million euros ($591 million) to address the crisis, and Germany putting up some 125 million euros.
France also announced an extra 50 million euros in humanitarian aid this year.
“How can we forget the world’s largest humanitarian crisis?” asked German Foreign Minister Annalena Baerbock.
During a visit to a refugee camp, she said she heard “horrific reports of women and children being raped” and of people dying of hunger.
Germany and France as well as the European Union and the 55-member African Union co-hosted the conference with the British government in London. The United States and Ƶ were also said to be attending.
Sudan’s government has protested that it was not invited, soliciting a rebuke from Khartoum.
But the German foreign ministry said both the Sudanese army and the RSF militia were unwilling to come to the table.
Sudan has accused the United Arab Emirates of supporting the paramilitary forces with arms shipments. Those fighters and the Gulf state deny the charges.
In a statement Tuesday, the UAE issued “an urgent call for peace” and accused both sides of “committing atrocities.” It said a senior foreign ministry official would attend the London conference.
French Foreign Minister Jean-Noel Barrot stressed “the unity of Sudan must be preserved” and there could be no unilateral government imposed on civilians.
The conflict pits the regular army of Sudan’s de facto leader Abdel Fattah Al-Burhan against the RSF led by his former deputy Mohamed Hamdan Dagalo after relations between the two men soured following a 2021 coup.
That coup ousted a fragile transitional government put in place following the 2019 overthrow of longtime leader Omar Al-Bashir.
The RSF are rooted in Darfur and control much of its territory, as well as parts of Sudan’s south.
The army reclaimed the capital Khartoum last month, and holds sway in the east and north, leaving Africa’s third-largest country divided in two.


Israeli forces disperse rally in Hebron to release bodies of individuals held since 1967

Israeli forces disperse rally in Hebron to release bodies of individuals held since 1967
Updated 9 sec ago

Israeli forces disperse rally in Hebron to release bodies of individuals held since 1967

Israeli forces disperse rally in Hebron to release bodies of individuals held since 1967
  • Among the bodies are 67 children, 85 prisoners and 10 women
  • Last week, Israeli forces suppressed a similar rally in Ramallah, injuring 58 Palestinians with live ammunition

LONDON: Hundreds of Palestinians rallied in the city of Hebron in the southern occupied West Bank to demand the release of the bodies of slain individuals before being dispersed by Israeli forces on Sunday.

Israeli forces fired tear gas canisters to disperse participants at Ibn Rushd Square in Hebron, causing several cases of suffocation, according to the Wafa news agency.

Since Israel occupied the Palestinian territories during the 1967 Middle East War, it has held 726 bodies of Palestinians and Arab citizens in various unidentified cemeteries and locations. Those include the bodies of 67 children, 85 prisoners, and 10 women.

The rally aimed to raise awareness of the issue and urge human rights organizations and the UN to take action to ensure the release of the bodies. Last week, Israeli forces suppressed a similar rally in Ramallah, injuring 58 Palestinians with live ammunition, rubber-coated steel bullets, and tear gas, Wafa reported.


Yemen’s Houthis vow to intensify attacks on Israel after group’s PM killed

An Israeli attack on Thursday killed the Houthis’ prime minister, Ahmed Ghaleb Nasser Al-Rahawi. (File/Reuters)
An Israeli attack on Thursday killed the Houthis’ prime minister, Ahmed Ghaleb Nasser Al-Rahawi. (File/Reuters)
Updated 9 min 31 sec ago

Yemen’s Houthis vow to intensify attacks on Israel after group’s PM killed

An Israeli attack on Thursday killed the Houthis’ prime minister, Ahmed Ghaleb Nasser Al-Rahawi. (File/Reuters)
  • An attack on Thursday killed the Houthis’ prime minister, Ahmed Ghaleb Nasser Al-Rahawi, and other officials

SANAA: The leader of Yemen’s Houthis said on Sunday his group would keep launching attacks against Israel, a day after confirming that an Israeli strike had killed their government’s prime minister.
An attack on Thursday killed the Houthis’ prime minister, Ahmed Ghaleb Nasser Al-Rahawi, and other officials, the Iran-backed group has said.
Israel’s military has confirmed the strike on Sanaa, Yemen’s capital, and that it had killed Rahawi — the most senior official known to have died in a series of attacks during the Gaza war.
In a speech broadcast Sunday on the Houthis’s Al-Masirah TV, group leader Abdul Malik Al-Houthi vowed to continue “targeting Israel with missiles and drones” and to escalate these attacks.
He added that recent Israeli strikes on Houthi-held areas of Yemen would not weaken the group or discourage its fighters.
The Houthis have launched repeated drone and missile attacks on Israel since the Gaza war erupted in October 2023.
Israel has been striking Houthi targets for months in response to the rebels’ attacks, which they say are in support of the Palestinians in Gaza.
A Yemeni security source told AFP on Saturday that Houthi authorities had arrested dozens of people in Sanaa and other areas “on suspicion of collaborating with Israel.”
The Houthis’ leader said in his speech that “the coming days will see additional success... in thwarting the Israeli enemy’s attempts to commit crimes against our dear people or to target official institutions and cities.”


Global religious summit urges swift action to end Gaza conflict

Global leaders urged governments and religious leaders to condemn the war in Gaza and act urgently to stop the massacre. (SPA)
Global leaders urged governments and religious leaders to condemn the war in Gaza and act urgently to stop the massacre. (SPA)
Updated 43 min 32 sec ago

Global religious summit urges swift action to end Gaza conflict

Global leaders urged governments and religious leaders to condemn the war in Gaza and act urgently to stop the massacre. (SPA)
  • Al-Issa announced two initiatives. First is to strengthen the spiritual and moral role of religious leaders worldwide
  • Second is to protect minorities in countries with religious, ethnic, and cultural diversity

RIYADH: Global leaders urged governments and religious leaders to condemn the war in Gaza and act urgently to stop the massacre, pressing the Israeli occupation government to end the crisis. They said the tragedy exposes the failure of international law and accountability.

The statement concluded the second International Summit of Religious Leaders, “The Role of Religious Leaders in Conflict Resolution,” held in Kuala Lumpur by the Malaysian Prime Minister’s Office in cooperation with the Muslim World League, the Saudi Press Agency reported on Sunday.

The summit was inaugurated by Malaysian Prime Minister Anwar Ibrahim and the secretary-general of the MWL, Dr. Mohammed bin Abdulkarim Al-Issa, with 400 prominent religious leaders from around the world in attendance.

In their statement, the religious leaders urged the international community to pressure the Israeli occupation government to comply with international and human rights treaties, end the suffering of the Palestinian people, guarantee their legitimate rights, and establish an independent state in line with relevant international resolutions.

They expressed support for the final document of the high-level international conference on the peaceful settlement of the Palestinian question and the two-state solution, hosted by Ƶ and France at the UN in New York.

In his speech, Ibrahim emphasized that all religions aim to promote humanity, stressing the need for unity among faiths against those who reject humanity’s shared values, and calling on religious leaders to defend the essence of humanity.

He warned against conflict-driven theories, such as the “Clash of Civilizations,” noting that the Gaza crisis reflects the international community’s waning commitment to justice and humanity.

Al-Issa also said that global peace is not optional but essential, tied to both human survival and the credibility of the UN Charter. He recalled that on June 26, 1945, the UN’s founding nations pledged to save future generations from war and to live together in peace.

Al-Issa expressed deep concern over global wars and conflicts that threaten world security and societal stability, noting that the extermination and starvation in Gaza set a dangerous precedent for human rights.

He said such events, unprecedented since the founding of the UN Charter, cast doubt on international legitimacy and threaten the cohesion of nations committed to justice under the charter.

He announced two initiatives: to strengthen the spiritual and moral role of religious leaders worldwide; and to protect minorities in countries with religious, ethnic, and cultural diversity.

The summit’s final statement expressed support for two historic MWL documents: the Makkah Declaration and the Charter of Building Bridges between Islamic Schools of Thought, both unanimously approved by Muslim scholars and sponsored by King Salman.

Participants recommended forming a permanent committee with representatives from the Malaysian Prime Minister’s Office and MWL to prepare for the third International Summit of Religious Leaders and develop strategies to address societal challenges from a spiritual perspective.

They also endorsed MWL initiatives to activate the spiritual and moral role of religious leaders in promoting peaceful conflict resolution and to protect minorities in countries with religious, ethnic, and cultural diversity, as outlined by Al-Issa.


Qatari emir, US CENTCOM commander discuss defense

Qatari emir, US CENTCOM commander discuss defense
Updated 58 min 32 sec ago

Qatari emir, US CENTCOM commander discuss defense

Qatari emir, US CENTCOM commander discuss defense
  • The emir of Qatar and Charles Bradford Cooper II addressed prominent regional and international developments

LONDON: Qatari Emir Sheikh Tamim bin Hamad Al-Thani reviewed ties with the US during a reception for Adm. Charles Bradford Cooper II, commander of the US Central Command, at the Amiri Diwan in Doha.

During the meeting on Sunday, they discussed the strategic cooperation between Doha and Washington, as well as ways to enhance military and defense cooperation. They also addressed prominent regional and international developments, according to the Qatar News Agency.

In June, US President Donald Trump nominated Cooper to lead CENTCOM, overseeing the Middle East, including the Red Sea, Afghanistan, and Iraq.

On Friday, Cooper traveled to Bahrain to meet with Crown Prince Salman bin Hamad Al-Khalifa. Both Qatar and Bahrain host US forces: Al-Udeid Air Base is located southwest of Doha, while the US 5th Fleet is based in Manama.


US senators urge Rubio to push for baby formula deliveries to Gaza

US senators urge Rubio to push for baby formula deliveries to Gaza
Updated 31 August 2025

US senators urge Rubio to push for baby formula deliveries to Gaza

US senators urge Rubio to push for baby formula deliveries to Gaza
  • Senior Democrats call for use of ‘full power and authority’ to ‘protect most vulnerable’
  • Letter comes as Israel intensifies operations, refuses to facilitate further aid deliveries

LONDON: Five Democrat senators have written to US Secretary of State Marco Rubio urging him to help get more baby formula into Gaza.

Israel has intensified military operations in the Palestinian enclave, with fears mounting for vulnerable civilians and reports of famine coming from international observers.

The senators called on Rubio to use his “full power and authority” to allow a “massive surge” of baby formula to reach those most at risk, with 119 young children having died in Gaza of hunger-related causes since the start of the war in October 2023, according to local authorities.

The signatories are Ruben Gallego of Arizona, Peter Welch of Vermont, Tim Kaine of Virginia, Mark Kelly of Arizona and Elizabeth Warren of Massachusetts.

“We write to you today with urgency about the grave crisis that infants in Gaze face as a result of severe restrictions on the entry and distribution of humanitarian aid,” they said.

“We appeal to you not only in your capacity as a government official but as a parent,” they added. “No child should face the desperation and suffering we are witnessing in Gaza in real time.”

They said they expect a reply from Rubio by Sept. 8. “This moment demands moral clarity and decisive action,” they added. “We must use our leverage to ensure the most vulnerable are protected.”

The letter comes after more than 100 Democrats in the House of Representatives issued a similar call to Rubio to scale up formula supplies last week.

US public opinion strongly supports the government sending aid to Gaza, with a recent Reuters/Ipsos poll finding around 65 percent of registered voters in favor. 

A Quinnipiac poll for the same period found that 60 percent of voters oppose the war in Gaza, and 77 percent of registered Democrats believe Israel is committing genocide.