Ƶ

FIFA picks 8 host cities for the 2027 Women’s World Cup in Brazil

FIFA picks 8 host cities for the 2027 Women’s World Cup in Brazil
This combination of file pictures shows (top) Maracana stadium, Mineirao stadium, Neo Quimica Arena (bottom) Arena BRB Mane Garrincha stadium, Beira-Rio stadium and Castelao Arena. The eight cities that will host the 2027 Women's World Cup in Brazil are Sao Paulo, Rio de Janeiro, Brasilia, Belo Horizonte, Porto Alegre, Salvador, Fortaleza y Recife. (AFP)
Short Url
Updated 08 May 2025

FIFA picks 8 host cities for the 2027 Women’s World Cup in Brazil

FIFA picks 8 host cities for the 2027 Women’s World Cup in Brazil
  • Infantino: From stunning beaches to cosmopolitan cities, the world will experience the energy, color and warmth that only Brazil can offer
  • The host city selection process started in August of last year

SAO PAULO: Football’s international governing body has confirmed eight host cities for the 2027 Women’s World Cup to be held in Brazil.

FIFA announced the venues for the month-long tournament on Wednesday but hasn’t decided yet where the opening match and the final will take place.

All eight sites were among the 12 used for the men’s World Cup in 2014: Rio de Janeiro (Maracana Stadium), Sao Paulo (NeoQuimica Arena), Belo Horizonte (Mineirao Stadium), Brasília (Nacional Stadium), Fortaleza (Arena Castelao), Porto Alegre (Beira-Rio Stadium), Recife (Arena Pernambuco), and Salvador (Arena Fonte Nova).

“From stunning beaches to cosmopolitan cities, the world will experience the energy, color and warmth that only Brazil can offer,” FIFA President Gianni Infantino said in a statement.

Some members of Brazil’s soccer confederation have said they want to hold the opening match at Sao Paulo and the final at the 78,000-seat Maracana, as it did in the 2014 World Cup.

Curitiba, Manaus and Natal, all venues for the men’s World Cup, were not included in the women’s tournament bid book. Belem was also left out.

The host city selection process started in August of last year. At the 2014 World Cup, players, fans and coaches criticized the choice of 12 host cities for a tournament that was widely spread across the country.

For this tournament, set for June 24-July 25, 2027, almost all host cities are either on the Brazilian coast or close to it, with the exception of the capital, Brasilia, and Belo Horizonte, two of the nation’s most populous cities.

Brazil will host the women’s tournament for the first time. Brazil is a five-time World Cup champion in men’s football but has never won the women’s global title.


Mourinho leaves Fenerbahce after Champions League failure in latest career blow to the ‘special one’

Mourinho leaves Fenerbahce after Champions League failure in latest career blow to the ‘special one’
Updated 29 August 2025

Mourinho leaves Fenerbahce after Champions League failure in latest career blow to the ‘special one’

Mourinho leaves Fenerbahce after Champions League failure in latest career blow to the ‘special one’
  • His latest short managerial spell leaves the 62-year-old Mourinho’s career at a crossroads
  • Mourinho was considered one of the world’s best coaches

Jose Mourinho’s fall from grace in elite football accelerated Friday when the charismatic Portuguese coach left Turkish club Fenerbahce, two days after failing to get back into the Champions League after a long absence.
His latest short managerial spell – this one lasted barely a year, in a second-tier European league – leaves the 62-year-old Mourinho’s career at a crossroads, with top teams potentially no longer wanting to take a chance on a coach whose best days might be behind him.
Fenerbahce’s elimination at the hands of Benfica in a Champions League qualifying playoff on Wednesday was another blow to the status of Mourinho, who once was considered one of the world’s best coaches and famously had a heated rivalry with Pep Guardiola during their time in Spain with Real Madrid and Barcelona, respectively.
A Champions League winner with Porto and Inter Milan, Mourinho has not coached in the main stage of the marquee competition for six seasons. He won the third-tier Conference League with Roma in 2022 but his time at the Italian club from 2021-24 was pock-marked with squabbles that resurfaced in his brief and chaotic spell in Turkiye.
Turbulent times in Turkiye
There was an incident in April when he grabbed the nose of Galatasaray coach Okan Buruk in the Istanbul derby, earning a three-match ban and a fine.
Indeed, the fiery matches between the two local rivals brought out the worst in Mourinho. Two months earlier, he was handed a four-match ban after making an incendiary comment in the aftermath of a league match against Galatasaray, which announced its intention to start legal proceedings against Mourinho.
Mourinho, who often railed against what he perceived to be poor refereeing in Turkiye, wore the look of a frustrated and unhappy man during his time with Fenerbahce.
Gone was the charm and self-confidence that oozed out of the self-styled “Special One” during the peak years at his first spell at Chelsea from 2004-07, for example.
In October, he even said: “I think the best thing I have to do is when I leave Fenerbahce I go to a club that doesn’t play UEFA competitions. So you find a club in England from the bottom of the table, needs a coach in two years, I am ready to go.”
Who knows, that might be where Mourinho ends up after his departure from Fenerbahce, whose own absence from the Champions League now stretches to 17 seasons.
“We have parted ways with Jose Mourinho,” Fenerbahce posted to its millions of followers in a short statement on its X and Instagram accounts. “We thank him for his efforts for our team and wish him success in his future career.”
There was no immediate statement on the club’s official website.
What next for Mourinho?
Mourinho was once a serial trophy winner, a guarantee of silverware.
Yet that’s now two clubs – Tottenham (from 2019-21) and Fenerbahce – where he hasn’t guided his team to a title. His career trajectory, meanwhile, is heading downwards: from Real Madrid, to Manchester United, to Tottenham, to Roma and then to Fenerbahce.
Coaching the national team of his native Portugal might be one future option for Mourinho, who established a strong reputation for being a pragmatic, tactically astute manager with an uncanny ability to win one-off matches. Those attributes might serve him well in international football.
The days of him leading teams to success in the Champions League or in the top European leagues seem a long way away, however.
Solskjaer also out in Turkiye
It hasn’t been a good couple of days for former Man United managers in Turkiye.
On Thursday, Ole Gunnar Solskjaer, who replaced Mourinho in charge of United in 2018, was fired by Besiktas hours after a loss to Swiss team Lausanne in the Conference League playoffs.
Solskjaer had been in charge since January.


Ivan Toney gives Al-Ahli opening-day win against newly promoted Neom

Ivan Toney gives Al-Ahli opening-day win against newly promoted Neom
Updated 29 August 2025

Ivan Toney gives Al-Ahli opening-day win against newly promoted Neom

Ivan Toney gives Al-Ahli opening-day win against newly promoted Neom
  • England striker’s first-half goal is enough to give the reigning Asian champions all 3 points in a hard-fought victory
  • In the day’s other games, Ettifaq defeat Al-Kholood 2-1, while Damac grab a goal deep into injury time to rescue a point in a 1-1 draw with Al-Hazm

Ivan Toney was the hero as Al-Ahli kicked off the new Saudi Pro League season on Thursday with a hard-fought 1-0 home win over newly promoted Neom. The England striker’s first-half goal was enough to give the reigning Asian champions all three points.

It was a tough introduction to the top flight for Neom, as the hosts enjoyed the better of the first half. More 50,000 fans seemed to shout as one for a penalty in the ninth minute when Ali Majrashi went down in the area under a challenge from Mohammed Al-Dossari, but the referee was having none of it and waved play on.

The home fans did not have to wait too much longer for the opener, however, as Toney delivered a fine goal midway through the first half. Enzo Millot, making his league debut after a move from Stuttgart, slid through a majestic pass from deep that split the visiting defense and gave the former Brentford forward the chance to fire a low shot home from just inside the area.

Eight minutes before the break, there was more good work from the French midfielder when he found Riyad Mahrez in the area, but the Algerian sent his shot wide. Soon after, Toney had a goal-bound shot blocked by Ahmed Hegazi.

Neom looked livelier after the restart and Alexandre Lacazette was able to break into the area, only for his low shot to be saved by Edouard Mendy. The former Chelsea goalkeeper was in action again soon after, getting down well to save a dangerous effort on the turn by Abdulmalik Al-Oyayari.

The visitors continued to pile on the pressure in hopes of a share of the points. Lacazette did have the ball in the net in the 90th minute, but it was ruled out for offside and Al-Ahli hung on for the win.

There were two other games on opening day. Ettifaq defeated Al-Kholood 2-1, with Mohau Nkota and Gini Wijnaldum the scorers for the victors, while John Buckley got the visitors’ goal.

Earlier, the first game of the season ended in a 1-1 draw between Damac and Al-Hazm. Fabio Martins fired home from the spot to give the visitors the lead shortly before the hour mark, but they were denied the three points when Moroccan Jamal Harkass grabbed the equalizer with 98 minutes on the clock.


Arsenal forward Havertz has ‘minor’ surgery on knee injury

Arsenal forward Havertz has ‘minor’ surgery on knee injury
Updated 28 August 2025

Arsenal forward Havertz has ‘minor’ surgery on knee injury

Arsenal forward Havertz has ‘minor’ surgery on knee injury
  • Arsenal did not provide a timeline for Havertz’s return
  • Havertz missed several months last season with a hamstring injury

LONDON: Arsenal forward Kai Havertz underwent a “minor” knee operation on Thursday after being injured in the season-opening game at Manchester United, the London club said.

Arsenal did not provide a timeline for Havertz’s return, but said “he will shortly begin his recovery and rehabilitation program, with everyone fully focused on supporting Kai to ensure he is back to full fitness as soon as possible.”

Havertz missed several months last season with a hamstring injury, but British media reports said he is expected to only miss a few weeks this time.

Arsenal signed Eberechi Eze from Crystal Palace after Havertz sustained his latest injury against United.


Man United agree to sell Garnacho to Chelsea for £40m

Man United agree to sell Garnacho to Chelsea for £40m
Updated 29 August 2025

Man United agree to sell Garnacho to Chelsea for £40m

Man United agree to sell Garnacho to Chelsea for £40m
  • Garnacho was among five players seeking to exit the club this summer
  • Rashford joined Barcelona on loan last month

LONDON: Manchester United have agreed to sell Argentine winger Alejandro Garnacho to Chelsea for 40 million pounds ($54 million), a source close to United said on Thursday.

The 21-year-old’s sale value would be the fourth largest for a United player after Cristiano Ronaldo, Romelu Lukaku and Angel di Maria.

Garnacho, who played 93 Premier League matches for United, was among five players seeking to exit the club this summer, along with Marcus Rashford, Antony, Tyrell Malacia and Jadon Sancho. Rashford joined Barcelona on loan last month.

Manager Ruben Amorim has left Garnacho out of his squad this season, as United failed to win their first two Premier League games before being knocked out of the League Cup on penalties by fourth-tier Grimsby Town.

Chelsea host Fulham in the Premier League on Friday.


PSG get tough slate of Champions League opponents, as Real Madrid are going to Liverpool and Almaty

PSG get tough slate of Champions League opponents, as Real Madrid are going to Liverpool and Almaty
Updated 28 August 2025

PSG get tough slate of Champions League opponents, as Real Madrid are going to Liverpool and Almaty

PSG get tough slate of Champions League opponents, as Real Madrid are going to Liverpool and Almaty
  • PSG’s easiest opponents, in theory, in the league phase will be Newcastle and Athletic Bilbao
  • Liverpool fans will welcome Trent Alexander-Arnold back to Anfield with Madrid

MONACO: Paris Saint-Germain were handed a tough start to the defense of its Champions League title with games against Bayern Munich and Barcelona, and Thursday’s draw also served up opponents from England and Spain from the pot of lowest-ranked teams.

PSG’s easiest opponents, in theory, in the league phase will be Newcastle and Athletic Bilbao.

Tottenham, the Europa League champion, also will play PSG in a repeat of their Super Cup game two weeks ago. PSG’s eight-game schedule is completed by Bayer Leverkusen, Atalanta and Sporting Lisbon.

Real Madrid also got a challenging draw, including a trip far east to play Kairat Almaty of Kazakhstan — 6,420 kilometers (4,000 miles) from the Spanish capital.

Record 15-time champion Madrid got two English opponents from the pot of highest-ranked teams. Madrid will host Manchester City, which they beat in the knockout playoffs last season, and return to Liverpool after losing 2-0 at Anfield in the league phase last year.

Madrid also will face Juventus in a repeat of their 2017 final win, and two French opponents, Marseille and Monaco — where superstar forward Kylian Mbappe started his career.

Liverpool fans will welcome Trent Alexander-Arnold back to Anfield with Madrid, and have away trips to the vibrant stadiums of Inter Milan, Eintracht Frankfurt, Marseille and Galatasaray.

Bayern Munich will have rematches of two recent finals – at home to Chelsea where the German champion lost the 2012 title game on home turf, and away to PSG, which they beat in the 2020 final. Bayern also will go to Cyprus to face Pafos.

Manchester City will travel north of the Arctic Circle to face Bodo/Glimt of Norway, and host former fan favorite Kevin De Bruyne with his new club Napoli.

This is the second season of the league phase format with 36 teams playing eight different opponents on a weighted schedule through January, and ranked in a single-standings table.

Four newcomers to the main stage of the Champions League are: Bodo/Glimt, Kairat Almaty, Russian-owned Pafos and Belgian champion Union Saint-Gilloise.

Games in Bodo and Almaty shape to be the longest-ever trips for visiting teams, and their home games in January among the coldest in competition history. Bodo play on a heated artificial turf field.

The computerized draw gave each team two opponents drawn from each of the four seeding pots. Teams are seeded based on their ranking over five seasons of results in UEFA competitions.

Retired great Zlatan Ibrahimovic picked each team out of its draw pot and former Ballon d’Or winner Kaka pushed a button to reveal the slate of opponents.

Games start on Sept. 16 and the final league phase matchday is Jan. 28. On that Wednesday evening, all 36 teams play in 18 games kicking off at the same time.

The top eight teams in the final standings advance to the round of 16 in March. Joining them will be winners of eight knockout playoffs, featuring teams ranked ninth to 24th, scheduled in February. The bottom 12 teams are eliminated.