Ƶ

Thousands storm aid warehouse in Gaza as hunger crisis deepens

Update Thousands storm aid warehouse in Gaza as hunger crisis deepens
Displaced Palestinians ferry bags of food aid after storming a World Food Programme warehouse in Deir Al-Balah in the central Gaza Strip on Wednesday. (AFP)
Short Url
Updated 29 May 2025

Thousands storm aid warehouse in Gaza as hunger crisis deepens

Thousands storm aid warehouse in Gaza as hunger crisis deepens
  • The humanitarian situation in Gaza is dire following 18 months of devastating war
  • Food security experts say starvation is looming for one in five people

DEIR EL-BALAH, Palestinian Territories: Thousands of desperate Palestinians stormed a United Nations warehouse in central Gaza on Wednesday, with the World Food Programme reporting two possible deaths in the tumult as Israel and the UN traded blame over the deepening hunger crisis.

The humanitarian situation in Gaza, where aid has finally begun to trickle in after a two-month blockade, is dire following 18 months of devastating war. Food security experts say starvation is looming for one in five people.

AFP footage showed crowds of Palestinians breaking into a WFP warehouse in Deir Al-Balah and taking bags of emergency food supplies as gunshots rang out.

“Hordes of hungry people broke into WFP’s Al-Ghafari warehouse in Deir Al-Balah, Central Gaza, in search of food supplies that were pre-positioned for distribution,” WFP said in a statement on X.

“Initial reports indicate two people died and several were injured in the tragic incident,” WFP said, adding that it was still confirming details.

Israel accused the United Nations Wednesday of seeking to block Gaza aid distribution, as the global body said it was doing its utmost to facilitate distribution of the limited assistance greenlit by Israel’s authorities.

The issue of aid has come sharply into focus amid starvation fears and intense criticism of the Gaza Humanitarian Foundation (GHF), a private US-backed aid group that has bypassed the longstanding UN-led system in the territory.

Israel’s UN ambassador Danny Danon told the Security Council that aid was entering Gaza by truck – under limited authorization by Israel at the Kerem Shalom crossing – and via a “new distribution mechanism developed in coordination with the US and key international partners.”

Danon was referring to the GHF operation, which he accused the UN of “trying to block,” saying it was “using threats, intimidation and retaliation against NGOs that choose to participate in the new humanitarian mechanism.”

The UN said 47 people were injured Tuesday when thousands of Palestinians rushed a GHF site. A Palestinian medical source reported at least one death.

Stephane Dujarric, spokesman for UN Secretary-General Antonio Guterres, reiterated the world body’s opposition to coordinating with GHF.

“We will not participate in operations that do not meet our humanitarian principles,” Dujarric said.

He said the UN was doing all it could to send aid, adding that since last week 800 truckloads were approved by Israel but fewer than 500 made it into Gaza.

As the war entered its 600th day Wednesday, Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu said the offensive had “changed the face of the Middle East.”

He said it had killed tens of thousands of militants including Mohammed Sinwar, Hamas’s presumed Gaza leader and the brother of Yahya – slain mastermind of the October 2023 attacks that sparked the Gaza war.

Israeli media said Sinwar was targeted by strikes in southern Gaza earlier this month. His brother was killed in October 2024.

In Washington, US envoy Steve Witkoff expressed optimism about a possible ceasefire, saying he expected to propose a plan soon.

“I have some very good feelings about getting to a... temporary ceasefire, and a long-term resolution, a peaceful resolution of that conflict,” he said.

But Gazans remained pessimistic.

“Six hundred days have passed and nothing has changed. Death continues, and Israeli bombing does not stop,” said Bassam Daloul, 40.

“Even hoping for a ceasefire feels like a dream and a nightmare.”

Israel stepped up its military offensive earlier this month, while mediators push for a still elusive ceasefire.

In Tel Aviv, hundreds of people called for a ceasefire, lining roads at 6:29 am – the exact time the unprecedented October 7 attack began.

Relatives of hostages held since that attack also gathered in Tel Aviv.

“I want you to know that when Israel blows up deals, it does so on the heads of the hostages,” said Arbel Yehud, who was freed from Gaza captivity in January.

“Their conditions immediately worsen, food diminishes, pressure increases, and bombings and military actions do not save them, they endanger their lives.”

Out of 251 hostages seized during the October 7 attack, 57 remain in Gaza including 34 the Israeli military says are dead.

Some 1,218 people were killed in Hamas’s October 7, 2023, attack, mostly civilians, according to an AFP tally based on official figures.

The health ministry in Hamas-run Gaza said Wednesday at least 3,924 people had been killed in the territory since Israel ended the ceasefire on March 18, taking the war’s overall toll to 54,084, mostly civilians.


Syria will not take part in meetings with Kurdish-led SDF in Paris, state TV says

Syria will not take part in meetings with Kurdish-led SDF in Paris, state TV says
Updated 59 min 42 sec ago

Syria will not take part in meetings with Kurdish-led SDF in Paris, state TV says

Syria will not take part in meetings with Kurdish-led SDF in Paris, state TV says
  • The source cited an earlier forum arranged by the US-backed SDF that it said was a violation of an accord between the government and the group

Syria will not take part in planned meetings with Kurdish-led Syrian Democratic Forces (SDF) in Paris, Syria’s state news agency SANA quoted a government source as saying on Saturday.
The source cited an earlier forum arranged by the US-backed SDF that it said was a violation of an accord between the government and the group.
The source was quoted as saying that Damascus would not be involved in negotiations with any side that aims to “revive the era of the former regime.”


Sudan volunteers help families give Khartoum war dead proper burials

Sudan volunteers help families give Khartoum war dead proper burials
Updated 09 August 2025

Sudan volunteers help families give Khartoum war dead proper burials

Sudan volunteers help families give Khartoum war dead proper burials
  • Teams of workers in dust-streaked white hazmat suits comb vacant lots, looking for the spots where survivors say they buried their loved ones
  • Each body is disinfected, wrapped and labelled by Red Crescent volunteers before being transported to Al-Andalus cemetery

KHARTOUM: In Sudan’s war-scarred capital Khartoum, Red Crescent volunteers have begun the grisly task of exhuming the dead from makeshift plots where they were buried during the fighting so their families can give them a proper funeral.

Teams of workers in dust-streaked white hazmat suits comb vacant lots, looking for the spots where survivors say they buried their loved ones.

Mechanical diggers peel back layers of earth under the watchful eye of Hisham Zein Al-Abdeen, head of the city’s forensic medicine department.

“We’re finding graves everywhere – in front of homes, inside schools and mosques,” he said, surveying the scene.

“Every day we discover new ones.”

Here, in the southern neighborhood of Al-Azhari, families buried their loved ones wherever they could, as fighting raged between the regular army and the paramilitary Rapid Support Forces (RSF).

When war broke out in April 2023, the RSF quickly swept through Khartoum, occupying entire districts as residents fled air and artillery bombardments and street fighting.

In March, the army and its allies recaptured the capital in a fierce offensive.

It is only now, after the front lines of the conflict moved elsewhere, that bereaved families can give their loved ones a proper burial.

“My daughter was only 12,” said Jawaher Adam, standing by a shallow makeshift grave, tears streaming down her face.

“I had only sent her out to buy shoes when she died. We couldn’t take her to the cemetery. We buried her in the neighborhood,” she said.

Months on, Adam has come to witness her daughter’s reburial – this time, she says, with dignity.

Each body is disinfected, wrapped and labelled by Red Crescent volunteers before being transported to Al-Andalus cemetery, 10 kilometers (six miles) away.

“It’s painful,” said Adam, “but to honor the dead is to give them a proper burial.”

Many of the war’s deadliest battlegrounds have been densely populated residential districts, often without access to hospitals to care for the wounded or count the dead.

That has made it nearly impossible to establish a firm death toll for the war.

Former US envoy Tom Perriello has said that some estimates suggest up to 150,000 people were killed in the conflict’s first year alone.

In the capital, more than 61,000 people died during the first 14 months of war – a 50 percent increase on the pre-war death rate – according to the London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine.

Of those deaths, 26,000 were attributed to violence.

At first glance, the vacant lot in Al-Azhari where Red Crescent volunteers are digging seems to be full of litter – pieces of wood, bricks, an old signpost.

Look more closely, however, and it becomes clear they have been placed in straight lines, each one marking a makeshift grave.

Volunteers exhumed 317 graves in that one lot, Zein Al-Abdeen said.

Similar mass graves have been uncovered across the capital, he said, with 2,000 bodies reburied so far.

But his team estimates there could be 10,000 bodies buried in makeshift graves across the city.

At the exhumation site, grieving mothers watch on silently, their hands clasped tightly to their chest.

They, like Adam, are among the lucky few who know where their loved ones are buried. Many do not.

At least 8,000 people were reported missing in Sudan last year, in what the International Committee of the Red Cross says is only “the tip of the iceberg.”

For now, authorities label unclaimed bodies, and keep their details on file.

With the bodies now exhumed, the community can have some degree of closure, and the vacant lot can be repurposed.

“Originally, this site was designated as a school,” said Youssef Mohamed Al-Amin, executive director of Jebel Awliya district.

“We’re moving the bodies so it can serve its original purpose.”

The United Nations estimates that up to two million people may return to Khartoum state by the end of the year – but much depends on whether security and basic services can be restored.

Before the war, greater Khartoum was home to nine million people, according to the UN Development Programme, but the conflict has displaced at least 3.5 million.

For now, much of the capital remains without power or running water, as hospitals and schools lie in ruins.


Foreign ministers of five countries condemn Israeli plan to seize Gaza City

Foreign ministers of five countries condemn Israeli plan to seize Gaza City
Updated 09 August 2025

Foreign ministers of five countries condemn Israeli plan to seize Gaza City

Foreign ministers of five countries condemn Israeli plan to seize Gaza City
  • Israel’s security cabinet has approved a plan to seize control of Gaza City, escalating military operations in the devastated Palestinian territory

GAZA: The foreign ministers of Australia, Germany, Italy, New Zealand, and the United Kingdom on Friday strongly condemned the Israeli Security Cabinet’s decision to launch a new large-scale military operation in Gaza.
“The plans that the Government of Israel has announced risk violating international humanitarian law,” the ministers said in a joint statement.
Israel’s security cabinet has approved a plan to seize control of Gaza City, escalating military operations in the devastated Palestinian territory. The move drew renewed criticism at home and abroad on Friday, as concerns mounted over the nearly two-year-old war. 

 


Turkiye hails US-brokered Armenia-Azerbaijan deal

Turkiye hails US-brokered Armenia-Azerbaijan deal
Updated 09 August 2025

Turkiye hails US-brokered Armenia-Azerbaijan deal

Turkiye hails US-brokered Armenia-Azerbaijan deal
  • “At a time when international conflicts and crises are intensifying, this step constitutes a highly significant development for the promotion of regional peace and stability

ISTANBUL: Turkiye hailed an agreement between Armenia and Azerbaijan as progress toward a “lasting peace” on Friday after US President Donald Trump declared the foes had committed to permanently end hostilities.
“We welcome the progress achieved toward establishing a lasting peace between Azerbaijan and Armenia, and the commitment recorded in Washington today in this regard,” Turkiye’s foreign ministry said, in a statement.
“At a time when international conflicts and crises are intensifying, this step constitutes a highly significant development for the promotion of regional peace and stability. We commend the contributions of the US administration in this process.”

 


Hunger and disease spreading in war-torn Sudan, WHO says

Hunger and disease spreading in war-torn Sudan, WHO says
Updated 08 August 2025

Hunger and disease spreading in war-torn Sudan, WHO says

Hunger and disease spreading in war-torn Sudan, WHO says
  • 770,000 children under 5 years old are expected to suffer from severe acute malnutrition this year

LONDON: Hunger and disease are spreading in war-torn Sudan, with famine already present in several areas, 25 million people acutely food insecure, and nearly 100,000 cholera cases recorded since last July, the World Health Organization said on Friday.

Sudan’s conflict between the army and rival Rapid Support Forces has displaced millions and split the country into rival zones of control, with the RSF still deeply embedded in western Sudan, and funding cuts are hampering humanitarian aid.
“Relentless violence has pushed Sudan’s health system to the edge, adding to a crisis marked by hunger, illness, and despair,” WHO Senior Emergency Officer Ilham Nour said in a statement.

BACKGROUND

Cholera has hit a camp for Darfur refugees in neighboring eastern Chad, the UN refugee agency said on Friday.

“Exacerbating the disease burden is hunger,” she said, adding that about 770,000 children under 5 years old are expected to suffer from severe acute malnutrition this year.
Cholera has also hit a camp for Darfur refugees in eastern Chad, the UN refugee agency said on Friday.
The World Health Organization said nearly 100,000 cholera cases had been reported in Sudan since July last year.
An outbreak in the Dougui refugee settlement has so far resulted in 264 cases and 12 deaths, said Patrice Ahouansou, UNHCR’s situation coordinator in the region, leading the agency to suspend the relocation of refugees from the border with Sudan to prevent new cases.
“Without urgent action, including enhancing access to medical treatment, to clean water, to sanitation, to hygiene, and most importantly, relocation from the border, many more lives are on the line,” Ahouansou told a briefing in Geneva.
Oral cholera vaccination campaigns had been conducted in several states, including the capital Khartoum, he told a press conference with the Geneva UN correspondents’ association ACANU.
“While we are seeing a declining trend in numbers, there are gaps in disease surveillance, and progress is fragile,” he said.
“Recent floods, affecting large parts of the country, are expected to worsen hunger and fuel more outbreaks of cholera, malaria, dengue, and other diseases.”
Cholera is an acute intestinal infection that spreads through food and water contaminated with bacteria, often from feces. It causes severe diarrhea, vomiting, and muscle cramps.
Cholera can kill within hours when not attended to, though it can be treated with simple oral rehydration and antibiotics for more severe cases.
There has been a global increase in cholera cases and their geographical spread since 2021.
“In Sudan, unrelenting violence has led to widespread hunger, disease, and suffering,” said WHO chief Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus.
“Cholera has swept across Sudan, with all states reporting outbreaks. Nearly 100,000 cases have been reported since July last year.”
As for hunger, Tedros said there were reports from El-Fasher, the besieged capital of North Darfur state, that people were eating animal feed to survive.
“In the first six months of this year, nutrition centers supported by WHO have treated more than 17,000 severely malnourished children with medical complications. But many more are beyond reach,” Tedros warned.

The UN health agency’s efforts were being hindered by limited access and a lack of funding, he added, with the WHO having received less than a third of the money it had appealed for to provide urgent health assistance in Sudan.
The WHO director-general said that as long as the violence continues in Sudan, “we can expect to see more hunger, more displacement and more disease.”