Ƶ

Israel army confirms shot Palestinian teen in West Bank

Palestinian women help each other as they bend to cross beneath a metal gate for vehicles set up by the Israeli army in the village of Turmus Ayya, north of Ramallah in the occupied West Bank, on June 1, 2025. (AFP)
Palestinian women help each other as they bend to cross beneath a metal gate for vehicles set up by the Israeli army in the village of Turmus Ayya, north of Ramallah in the occupied West Bank, on June 1, 2025. (AFP)
Short Url
Updated 04 June 2025

Israel army confirms shot Palestinian teen in West Bank

Israel army confirms shot Palestinian teen in West Bank
  • A statement from the local municipality also said Faqha died after being shot by Israeli forces

RAMALLAH, Palestinian Territories: Israel’s military confirmed on Tuesday it had “neutralized” a Palestinian who threw rocks in the occupied West Bank, where authorities said the slain victim was 14 years old.
In a statement on Monday, the Palestinian Authority announced “the martyrdom of 14-year-old boy Yousef Fouad F aqha, who was shot by Israeli forces in the town of Sinjil” in the central West Bank.
A statement from the local municipality also said Faqha died after being shot by Israeli forces.
Asked about the incident, the Israeli military told AFP on Tuesday that during an operation around Sinjil a day earlier, its forces had “identified a terrorist who had hurled rocks toward a transportation route and thrown two bottles containing hazardous material toward the forces.”
“Immediately after identifying the threat, the forces opened fire and neutralized the terrorist,” it added.
The military later confirmed to AFP that the target was Faqha.
Sources close to the family said that Israeli authorities were still holding onto the body.
In a similar incident in April, a teenager who held US citizenship was shot dead in the West Bank town of Turmus Ayya, with the Israeli military saying it had killed a “terrorist” who threw rocks at cars.
Sinjil and Turmus Ayya are located next to each other on either side of a main road running through the West Bank.
The Israeli military has recently surrounded Sinjil with a large metal fence that cuts the town off from the road.
Israel has occupied the West Bank since 1967, and violence there has soared since the start of the Gaza war in October 2023.
The West Bank is home to about three million Palestinians, but also some 500,000 Israelis living in settlements that are illegal under international law.
Israeli troops or settlers have killed at least 938 Palestinians — many of them militants, but also scores of civilians — in the West Bank since the start of the Gaza war, according to Palestinian health ministry figures.
At least 35 Israelis, including both soldiers and civilians, have been killed in Palestinian attacks or during Israeli military operations, according to official Israeli figures.


Macron backs Lebanese sovereignty after Israeli drone strike kills 2 soldiers in south

Macron backs Lebanese sovereignty after Israeli drone strike kills 2 soldiers in south
Updated 23 sec ago

Macron backs Lebanese sovereignty after Israeli drone strike kills 2 soldiers in south

Macron backs Lebanese sovereignty after Israeli drone strike kills 2 soldiers in south
  • The plan Macron referred to is understood to involve efforts to disarm non-state actors operating along the southern border, particularly Hezbollah

DUBAI: French President Emmanuel Macron reaffirmed France’s support for Lebanese sovereignty and security on Friday, following a deadly Israeli drone strike that killed two Lebanese soldiers in the southern town of Naqoura earlier on Thursday.

In a statement posted on X, Macron said he had spoken with Lebanon’s President Joseph Aoun and Prime Minister Nawaf Salam to discuss the country’s security situation and the path forward.

The French president praised Lebanon’s efforts to reassert state authority on arms and announced new diplomatic initiatives to support stability and reconstruction.

“I commended the courageous decisions taken by the Lebanese executive to restore the state’s monopoly on the use of force,” Macron said, urging the Lebanese government to adopt a national plan expected to be presented to the Cabinet in the coming days.

He reiterated that any successful stabilization plan must include the “complete withdrawal of Israeli forces from southern Lebanon and an end to all violations of Lebanese sovereignty.

“France has consistently stated its readiness to play a role in the handover of the remaining positions still occupied by Israel,” he said.

The plan Macron referred to is understood to involve efforts to disarm non-state actors operating along the southern border, particularly Hezbollah, and strengthen the presence of the Lebanese Armed Forces in coordination with the UN Interim Force in Lebanon.

UNIFIL’s mandate was renewed unanimously by the UN Security Council this week, a move Macron called an “important signal.”

France, a key contributor to the peacekeeping mission, has played a central role in mediating between Beirut and Tel Aviv.

The Lebanese Armed Forces also began receiving weapons handed over by Palestinian militant groups based in the country’s refugee camps, where an estimated 200,000 Palestinians live stateless.

Macron also announced that his personal envoy, Jean-Yves Le Drian, will return to Lebanon to assist in implementing the plan once it is approved.

The French president said he was committed to convening two high-level international conferences by the end of the year— one to support the Lebanese army and another focused on Lebanon’s broader recovery and reconstruction.

“Lebanon’s security and sovereignty must rest solely in the hands of the Lebanese authorities,” Macron said, calling for a vision of the country where “security is restored, sovereignty affirmed, and prosperity rebuilt.”

France has historically maintained close ties with Lebanon and has taken a leading role in recent years to address the country’s political paralysis, economic collapse, and worsening security environment.


Israel declares Gaza’s largest city a combat zone and halts humanitarian pauses

Israel declares Gaza’s largest city a combat zone and halts humanitarian pauses
Updated 31 min 51 sec ago

Israel declares Gaza’s largest city a combat zone and halts humanitarian pauses

Israel declares Gaza’s largest city a combat zone and halts humanitarian pauses
  • The city was among the places that Israel paused fighting last month to allow food and aid supplies to enter
  • Israel’s military did not say whether they had notified residents or aid groups about the plans to resume daytime hostilities

GAZA CITY: Israel’s military on Friday said it was suspending mid-day pauses to allow the delivery of humanitarian aid to Gaza City, calling it a “a dangerous combat zone.”
The city was among the places that Israel paused fighting last month to allow food and aid supplies to enter from 10 a.m. to 8 p.m.
The “tactical pauses” lasted applied to Gaza City, Deir Al-Balah and Muwasi, three places where hundreds of thousands of displaced people are sheltering. The pivot comes as Israel prepares to broaden its offensive, mobilizing tens of thousands of troops to seize Gaza City.
Israel’s military did not say whether they had notified residents or aid groups about the plans to resume daytime hostilities.
Israel has said in the past that Gaza City is a Hamas stronghold, with a network of tunnels that remain in use by militants after several previous large-scale raids. The city also is home to some of the territory’s critical infrastructure and health facilities.
The United Nations said Thursday that the besieged strip could lose half of its hospital bed capacity if Israel invades as planned.


EU’s Kallas says ‘we have 30 days’ to find Iran nuclear solution

EU’s Kallas says ‘we have 30 days’ to find Iran nuclear solution
Updated 24 min 7 sec ago

EU’s Kallas says ‘we have 30 days’ to find Iran nuclear solution

EU’s Kallas says ‘we have 30 days’ to find Iran nuclear solution
  • France, Britain and Germany on Thursday set off a mechanism that could reimpose United Nations sanctions on Iran in 30 days for failing to comply with commitments over its nuclear program

COPENHAGEN: EU foreign policy chief Kaja Kallas said Friday the coming weeks offered an “opportunity” to hammer out a diplomatic solution on Iran’s nuclear program, after European powers triggered a 30-day deadline for sanctions to come back into force.

“We are entering a new phase with this 30 days that is now giving us also the opportunity to really find diplomatic ways to find a solution,” Kallas told journalists.

“We have this 30 days to sort things out,” she added.

France, Britain and Germany on Thursday set off a mechanism that could reimpose United Nations sanctions on Iran in 30 days for failing to comply with commitments over its nuclear program it agreed to a decade ago.

Russia condemned the move to launch a process that could reimpose UN sanctions on Iran over its nuclear program, saying it was absurd to solely blame Tehran for the collapse of the 2015 nuclear accord.

That came after weeks of warnings over Iran’s alleged breaches of the 2015 agreement with world powers to curb its nuclear program. The sanctions were suspended under the deal.

Iran warned that it would “respond appropriately” to the step, which risks ending the most sustained diplomatic push in years for a peaceful solution to the Iranian nuclear crisis.

But the United Nations has also said the next 30 days represents a “window of opportunity” to strike a new deal.

France’s foreign minister Jean-Noel Barrot said that “Iran’s nuclear escalation must not go any further” but emphasized the move “does not signal the end of diplomacy.”


UAE joins global anti-drug campaign, $2.9bn worth of illegal drugs seized

UAE joins global anti-drug campaign, $2.9bn worth of illegal drugs seized
Updated 29 August 2025

UAE joins global anti-drug campaign, $2.9bn worth of illegal drugs seized

UAE joins global anti-drug campaign, $2.9bn worth of illegal drugs seized
  • The operation saw 12,564 suspects arrested around the world

DUBAI: The UAE joined a multi-nation, two-month anti-drug campaign that seized 822 tons of illegal drugs worth $2.9 billion, state news agency WAM reported.

Running from June 10 to Aug. 7, the operation saw 12,564 suspects arrested around the world, WAM reported.

It was the second time members of the International Security Alliance have carried out such an operation targeting international criminal groups.

Other member states of the International Security Alliance taking part in the operation included Bahrain, Morocco, Spain and France.

There were also members of the American Police Organization and the European Union Agency for Law Enforcement Cooperation, as well as personnel from Jordan, involved in the operation.

The cross-border cooperation enabled the gathering of information on new criminal networks, exchange of expertise on drug smuggling methods and the unifying of efforts in combating narcotics, which enhanced joint preparedness and developed proactive mechanisms to counter and control the movement of illegal drugs, WAM reported.

The ISA framework was established in 2017 by the UAE and France to enhance cooperation and build partnerships to address issues of global significance, particularly combating transnational organized crime.


Lebanon says 2 soldiers killed in Israeli drone strike

Lebanon says 2 soldiers killed in Israeli drone strike
Updated 29 August 2025

Lebanon says 2 soldiers killed in Israeli drone strike

Lebanon says 2 soldiers killed in Israeli drone strike
  • The Lebanese army said on Thursday that two military personnel were killed and two wounded when an Israeli drone crashed and then exploded in the Ras Al-Naqoura area of southern Lebanon

BEIRUT: The Lebanese army said on Thursday that two military personnel were killed and two wounded when an Israeli drone crashed and then exploded in the Ras Al-Naqoura area of southern Lebanon.
The Israeli military expressed its regret for the “injury” of the soldiers due to what it said was a “technical malfunction” during a strike in southern Lebanon that it claimed targeted Hezbollah infrastructure.