Ƶ

Harvard files legal challenge over Trump’s ban on foreign students. Overseas, admitted students wait

Harvard files legal challenge over Trump’s ban on foreign students. Overseas, admitted students wait
Harvard’s court challenge a day later attacked Trump’s legal justification for the action. (Reuters/File)
Short Url
Updated 06 June 2025

Harvard files legal challenge over Trump’s ban on foreign students. Overseas, admitted students wait

Harvard files legal challenge over Trump’s ban on foreign students. Overseas, admitted students wait

Winning admission to Harvard University fulfilled a longtime goal for Yonas Nuguse, a student in Ethiopia who endured a war in the country’s Tigray region, Internet and phone shutdowns, and the COVID-19 pandemic — all of which made it impossible to finish high school on time.
Now, it’s unclear if he will make it this fall to the Ivy League campus in Cambridge, Massachusetts. He and other admitted students around the world are anxiously tracking the school’s feud with the Trump administration, which is seeking to keep it from enrolling international students.
On Thursday, Harvard challenged President Donald Trump’s latest move to bar foreign students from entering the US to attend the college, calling it illegal retaliation for Harvard’s rejection of White House demands. In an amended lawsuit filed Thursday, Harvard said the president was attempting an end-run around a previous court order. Last month, a federal judge blocked the Department of Homeland Security from revoking Harvard’s certification to host foreign students.
Admission to Harvard, then months of uncertainty
Increasingly, the nation’s oldest and best-known university has attracted some of the brightest minds from around the world, with international students accounting for one-quarter of its enrollment. As Harvard’s fight with the administration plays out, foreign students can only wait to find out if they’ll be able to attend the school at all. Some are weighing other options.
For Nuguse, 21, the war in Ethiopia forced schools to close in many parts of the province. After schooling resumed, he then took a gap year to study and save money to pay for his TOEFL English proficiency test in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia’s capital.
“The war affected me a great deal and when I found out the news that I was accepted to Harvard, I was ecstatic. I knew it was a proud moment for my family, teachers, mentors and friends, who were instrumental in my achievement,” he said.
The following months have been filled with uncertainty. On Wednesday, Trump signed a directive seeking to block US entry for Harvard’s international students, which would block thousands who are scheduled to come to the campus in Cambridge, Massachusetts, for summer and fall terms.
Harvard’s court challenge a day later attacked Trump’s legal justification for the action — a federal law allowing him to block a “class of aliens” deemed detrimental to the nation’s interests. Targeting only those who are coming to the US to study at Harvard doesn’t qualify as a “class of aliens,” Harvard said in its filing.
“The President’s actions thus are not undertaken to protect the ‘interests of the United States,’ but instead to pursue a government vendetta against Harvard,” the university wrote.
In the meantime, Harvard is making contingency plans so students and visiting scholars can continue their work at the university, President Alan Garber said in a message to the campus and alumni.
“Each of us is part of a truly global university community,” Garber said Thursday. “We know that the benefits of bringing talented people together from around the world are unique and irreplaceable.”
Crackdown on international students affects interest in the US
The standoff with Harvard comes as the administration has been tightening scrutiny of student visas nationwide. Thousands of students around the country abruptly lost permission to be in the US this spring before the administration reversed itself, and Secretary of State Marco Rubio announced last week the US would “aggressively revoke” visas for students from China.
While many admitted students say they’re waiting to find out if they can come to the US, prospective students still in high school are starting to look elsewhere, said Mike Henniger, CEO of Illume Student Advisory Services.
“It is one blow after another,” said Henniger, who works with colleges in the US, Canada and Europe to recruit international students. “At this point, international student interest in the US has basically dropped to nil.”
The future of Harvard’s roughly 7,000 international students has been hanging in the balance since the Department of Homeland Security first moved to block its foreign enrollment on May 22.
For many, the twists and turns have been exhausting. Jing, a 23-year-old master’s student, is currently completing an internship in China this summer, and unsure if he can reenter the US for the fall semester.
“It is tiring, we all feel numb now. Trump just makes big news headlines once every few days since he got back to the White House,” said Jing, who agreed to speak under his family name out of concern about retaliation from the Trump administration.
Jing said he is going to watch and see what happens for now, in case the move against international students is a negotiating tactic that does not stick.
The possibility that Trump could block foreign enrollment at other colleges only raises the uncertainty for students planning to pursue their education overseas, said Craig Riggs, who has been working in international education for about 30 years and is the editor of ICEF Monitor. He said he urges families to consult carefully with advisers and not to overreact to the day’s headlines.
“The rules under which students would make this huge decision to devote years of their lives and quite a bit of money to studying at Harvard have been shown to change quite quickly,” Riggs said.
An aspiring economist, Nuguse was the only student accepted to Harvard this year from Kalamino Special High School, which caters to gifted students from underprivileged backgrounds from across Tigray.
After receiving acceptances also to Columbia University and Amherst College, Nuguse chose Harvard, which he had long dreamed of attending. He said he hopes it will work out to attend Harvard.
Nuguse was granted a visa to study at Harvard, and he worries it might be too late to reverse his decision and attend another university anyway. He received an email from Harvard last week, telling him to proceed with his registration and highlighting a judge’s order in Harvard’s favor in the dispute over foreign enrollment.
“I hope the situation is temporary and I can enroll on time to go on and realize my dream far from reality in Ethiopia,” he said.


Firefighter becomes fourth fatality in Portugal wildfires

Firefighter becomes fourth fatality in Portugal wildfires
Updated 14 sec ago

Firefighter becomes fourth fatality in Portugal wildfires

Firefighter becomes fourth fatality in Portugal wildfires

LISBON: A firefighter killed in Portugal while battling a wildfire has become the fourth fatality in the emergency the country has faced this summer, the presidency said on Saturday.
The office of President Marcelo Rebelo de Sousa sent condolences to the family of the fireman “who tragically lost his life after directly combating the forest fires in Sabugal municipality,” in the northeast of the country.


Pope meets with Chagos refugees and delivers message about rights of the weak against the powerful

Pope meets with Chagos refugees and delivers message about rights of the weak against the powerful
Updated 44 min 27 sec ago

Pope meets with Chagos refugees and delivers message about rights of the weak against the powerful

Pope meets with Chagos refugees and delivers message about rights of the weak against the powerful
  • Pope Leo XIV has strongly affirmed the rights of the weakest against the ambitions of the powerful
  • He delivered the message during an audience Saturday with refugees from Chagos

ROME: Pope Leo XIV strongly affirmed the rights of the weakest against the ambitions of the powerful during an audience Saturday with refugees from Chagos, a contested Indian Ocean archipelago that is home to a strategic US-UK military base.
History’s first American pope insisted on the right of the Chagossian people to return to their homes and hailed a recent UK-Mauritius treaty over the archipelago’s future as symbolically important on the international stage.
Leo met with a delegation of refugees from Chagos, some 2,000 of whom who were evicted from their homes by Britain in the 1960s and 1970s so the US could build a naval and bomber base on the largest of the islands, Diego Garcia.
Displaced islanders fought for years in UK courts for the right to go home. In May, Britain and Mauritius signed a treaty to hand sovereignty over the islands to Mauritius while still ensuring the future of the base.
Leo told the refugees he was “delighted” that the treaty had been reached, saying it represented a “significant victory” in their long battle to “repair a grave injustice. He praised in particular the role of the Chagossian women in peacefully asserting their rights to go home.
“The renewed prospect of your return to your native archipelago is an encouraging sign and a powerful symbol on the international stage: all peoples, even the smallest and weakest, must be respected by the powerful in their identity and rights, in particular the right to live on their land; and no one can force them into exile,” Leo said in French.
He said he hoped that Mauritian authorities will commit to ensuring their return, and pledged the help of the local Catholic Church.
Under the agreement, the UK will pay Mauritius an average of 101 million pounds ($136 million) a year to lease back the base for at least 99 years. It establishes a trust fund to benefit the Chagossians and says “Mauritius is free to implement a program of resettlement” on the islands other than Diego Garcia. But it does not require the residents to be resettled, and some displaced islanders fear it will be even harder to return to their place of birth after Mauritius takes control.
Mauritius had long contested Britain’s claim to the archipelago, and the United Nations and its top court had urged Britain to return the Chagos to Mauritius, around 2,100 kilometers (1,250 miles) southwest of the islands.
In a non-binding 2019 opinion, the International Court of Justice ruled that the UK had unlawfully carved up Mauritius when it agreed to end colonial rule in the late 1960s.
Pope Francis visited Mauritius in 2019 and met with a group of Chagossians in the Vatican in 2023. Francis told reporters en route home from Mauritius in 2019 that Britain should obey the UN and return the islands to Mauritius.


Bosnia’s Serb statelet calls referendum on verdict against leader

Bosnia’s Serb statelet calls referendum on verdict against leader
Updated 48 min 33 sec ago

Bosnia’s Serb statelet calls referendum on verdict against leader

Bosnia’s Serb statelet calls referendum on verdict against leader
  • Bosnia’s Serb statelet, whose President Milorad Dodik is defying a ban on him holding office, will stage a referendum on October 25 on the federal court verdict against him

SARAJEVO: Bosnia’s Serb statelet, whose President Milorad Dodik is defying a ban on him holding office, will stage a referendum on October 25 on the federal court verdict against him.
Lawmakers in the Republika Srpska’s (RS) regional parliament late Friday voted for the referendum as the political crisis around Dodik worsened, with his prime minister resigning on Monday, triggering a government reshuffle.
Dodik, 66, was convicted in February by a Bosnian federal court of undermining the fragile functioning of the Balkan country by flouting decisions by the international envoy enforcing a peace deal that ended Bosnia’s 1992-1995 war.
Dodik avoided a one-year prison sentence by paying a 19,000-euro ($22,000) fine, but an appeals court upheld a ruling that he be removed from the RS presidency and banned from political office for six years.
The regional leader, who has been in his post for seven years, has vowed to block elections in the Republika Srpska and to hold a series of referendums.
The one voted for late Friday was the first of those.
The question to appear on the October ballot, Bosnian Serb lawmakers decided, was: “Do you accept the decisions of the unelected foreigner (international envoy Christian Schmidt) and the unconstitutional verdict of the Bosnia-Herzegovina Court against the President of the RS, as well as the decision of the Bosnian Electoral Commission to revoke the mandate of the President of the RS, Milorad Dodik?“
Of the 65 lawmakers present in the RS parliament, 50 voted in favor. Opposition lawmakers in the chamber refused to cast a vote.
“I won’t get in your way... but you’re walking on a minefield,” warned one opposition member of parliament, Nebojsa Vukanovic, a fierce critic of Dodik.
Dodik has said he expects the Serbian population of the Republika Srpska to massively vote “no” to the referendum question. He has also threatened to hold a later referendum on independence for the Serbian entity.
The nationalist Bosnian Serb leader has been in power since 2006. He blames Schmidt, a former German minister who has been the international envoy for Bosnia since 2021, for his ordered ouster.
The RS parliament late Friday also adopted a number of “conclusions,” including one rejecting Schmidt’s authority, another demanding that Dodik continue as the statelet’s president, and one rejecting elections to choose a successor to him.
With the federal ban on Dodik holding office, Bosnia’s electoral commission is expected to call early elections for the RS presidency, which must be held within 90 days.
The outgoing RS prime minister, Radovan Viskovic, did not explain why he was resigning, in a Monday press conference held in the regional capital, Banja Luka.
He stated only that a new government would be formed, and that “I leave my successor a stable Republika Srpska.”
Viskovic was accused along with Dodik of undermining Bosnia’s constitutional order after the RS parliament voted to bar federal police and the judiciary from operating in the Serb entity.
Both have also been sanctioned by the United States for threatening the 1995 Dayton Peace Agreement and undermining Bosnia and Herzegovina’s sovereignty.
Bosnia has been split between Serbian and Bosnian-Croat political units since the end of the 1990s war, in which tens of thousands died. The country is held together by weak central institutions.


France summons Italian ambassador over challenge to Macron on Ukraine

France summons Italian ambassador over challenge to Macron on Ukraine
Updated 23 August 2025

France summons Italian ambassador over challenge to Macron on Ukraine

France summons Italian ambassador over challenge to Macron on Ukraine
  • “You go there if you want. Put your helmet on, your jacket, your rifle and you go to Ukraine,” he told reporters, referring to Macron

PARIS: France summoned the Italian ambassador after Italy’s deputy prime minister challenged the French president for suggesting that European soldiers be deployed in Ukraine in a post-war settlement, a French diplomatic source said on Saturday.
Asked earlier this week to comment on French President Emmanuel Macron’s appeals to deploy European soldiers in Ukraine after any settlement with Russia, Deputy Prime Minister Matteo Salvini used a Milanese dialect phrase loosely translatable as “get lost.”
“You go there if you want. Put your helmet on, your jacket, your rifle and you go to Ukraine,” he told reporters, referring to Macron.
Salvini, the populist leader of the right-wing League party and also Italy’s transport minister in the nationalist, conservative government led by Giorgia Meloni, has repeatedly criticized Macron, especially over Ukraine.
The Italian ambassador was summoned on Friday, the diplomatic source said, marking the latest in a series of diplomatic clashes between Paris and Rome before and after Meloni took power in 2022.
“The ambassador was reminded that these remarks ran counter to the climate of trust and the historical relationship between our two countries, as well as to recent bilateral developments, which have highlighted strong convergences between the two countries, particularly with regard to unwavering support for Ukraine,” the source said.
Macron, a vocal supporter of Ukraine over its war with Russia, has been working with other world leaders, notably British Prime Minister Keir Starmer, to mobilize support for Ukraine in the event of a ceasefire.


Russia says captured two villages in Ukraine’s Donetsk region

Russia says captured two villages in Ukraine’s Donetsk region
Updated 23 August 2025

Russia says captured two villages in Ukraine’s Donetsk region

Russia says captured two villages in Ukraine’s Donetsk region
  • Russia on Saturday said its forces in east Ukraine had taken two villages in the Donetsk region, upping military pressure on the ground as world leaders struggle to broker an end to the conflict

MOSCOW: Russia on Saturday said its forces in east Ukraine had taken two villages in the Donetsk region, upping military pressure on the ground as world leaders struggle to broker an end to the conflict.
Russian forces are slowly advancing in the embattled eastern region, grinding closer to Kyiv’s key defensive line in costly meter-for-meter battles.
Moscow’s defense ministry said on Telegram that Russian forces captured the villages of Sredneye and Kleban-Byk.
The taking of Kleban-Byk would mark a further advance toward Kostiantynivka — a key fortified town on the road to Kramatorsk, where a major Ukrainian logistics base is located.
On Friday, Russia said its troops had captured three villages in the Donetsk region it claimed to have annexed in September 2022.
The latest Russian advances come as hopes dim for a summit between Russian and Ukrainian presidents — a solution campaigned for by US President Donald Trump as part of his efforts to end the conflict.
Russian Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov said Friday “no meeting” was planned as Trump’s mediation efforts appeared to stall, while Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelensky said Russia was trying to prolong the offensive.
Also Friday, Trump told reporters he would make an “important” decision in two weeks on Ukraine peace efforts, specifying that Moscow could face massive sanctions — or he might “do nothing.”