Ƶ

Trump officials to give first classified briefing to Congress on Iran strikes

Trump officials to give first classified briefing to Congress on Iran strikes
Above, airstrike craters over underground centrifuge halls filled and covered with dirt in Natanz nuclear enrichment facility in central Iran on June 24, 2025. (Maxar Technologies/AFP)
Short Url
Updated 26 June 2025

Trump officials to give first classified briefing to Congress on Iran strikes

Trump officials to give first classified briefing to Congress on Iran strikes
  • The classified briefing comes as the Senate is expected to vote this week on a resolution that would require congressional approval if Trump decides to strike Iran again
  • Democrats, and some Republicans, have said that the White House overstepped its authority when it failed to seek the advice of Congress

WASHINGTON: Senators are set to meet with top national security officials Thursday as many question President Donald Trump’s decision to bomb three Iranian nuclear sites — and whether those strikes were ultimately successful.

The classified briefing, which was originally scheduled for Tuesday and was delayed, also comes as the Senate is expected to vote this week on a resolution that would require congressional approval if Trump decides to strike Iran again. Democrats, and some Republicans, have said that the White House overstepped its authority when it failed to seek the advice of Congress and they want to know more about the intelligence that Trump relied on when he authorized the attacks.

“Senators deserve full transparency, and the administration has a legal obligation to inform Congress precisely about what is happening,” said Senate Democratic Leader Chuck Schumer, who said Tuesday that it was “outrageous” that the Senate and House briefings were postponed. A similar briefing for House members was pushed to Friday.

CIA Director John Ratcliffe, Secretary of State Marco Rubio and Defense Secretary Pete Hegseth are expected to brief the senators on Thursday. Director of National Intelligence Tulsi Gabbard was scheduled to be at the Tuesday briefing, but will not be attending, according to a person familiar with the schedule.

The briefing could be contentious as questions have swirled around Trump’s decision to strike Iran and whether the attacks were successful. A preliminary US intelligence report found this week that Iran’s nuclear program had been set back only a few months, contradicting statements from Trump and Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu about the status of Iran’s nuclear facilities, according to two people familiar with the report. The people were not authorized to address the matter publicly and spoke on condition of anonymity.

On Wednesday, Gabbard and Ratcliffe sent out statements backing Trump’s claims that the facilities were “completely and fully obliterated.” Gabbard posted on social media that “new intelligence confirms what @POTUS has stated numerous times: Iran’s nuclear facilities have been destroyed.”

She said that if the Iranians choose to rebuild the three facilities, it would “likely take years to do.”

Ratcliffe said in a statement from the CIA that Iran’s nuclear program has been “severely damaged” and cited new intelligence “from a historically reliable and accurate source/method that several key Iranian nuclear facilities were destroyed and would have to be rebuilt over the course of years.”

Most Republicans have staunchly defended Trump and hailed the tentative ceasefire he brokered in the Israel-Iran war. House Speaker Mike Johnson even went as far as to question the constitutionality of the War Powers Act, which is intended to give Congress a say in military action.

“The bottom line is the commander in chief is the president, the military reports to the president, and the person empowered to act on the nation’s behalf is the president,” Johnson told reporters.

But some Republicans – including some of Trump’s staunchest supporters – are uncomfortable with the strikes and the potential for US involvement in an extended Middle East conflict.

“I think the speaker needs to review the Constitution,” said Sen. Rand Paul, R-Kentucky “And I think there’s a lot of evidence that our Founding Fathers did not want presidents to unilaterally go to war.”

Paul would not say if he is voting for the resolution by Sen. Tim Kaine, D-Virginia, that would require congressional approval for specific military action in Iran. The resolution is likely to fail as 60 votes would be needed to pass it and Republicans have a 53-47 majority. But Kaine says it’s important to put the Senate on the record.

“You have a debate like this so that the entire American public, whose sons and daughters are in the military and whose lives will be at risk in war, get to see the debate and reach their own conclusion together with the elected officials about whether the mission is worth it or not,” Kaine said.

While he did not seek approval, Trump sent congressional leaders a short letter Monday serving as his official notice of the strikes, two days after the bombs fell.

The letter said that the strike was taken “to advance vital United States national interests, and in collective self-defense of our ally, Israel, by eliminating Iran’s nuclear program.”


Refugee group challenges Greece's asylum freeze

Refugee group challenges Greece's asylum freeze
Updated 26 August 2025

Refugee group challenges Greece's asylum freeze

Refugee group challenges Greece's asylum freeze
  • More than 10,000 people arrived in Greece from north Africa since the start of the year — more than double the number for the whole of last year, the UNHCR said

ATHENS: The Greek Council for Refugees on Tuesday questioned the legal basis of the government’s suspension of asylum claims to stem a surge in arrivals of irregular migrants.
Hundreds of migrants who have crossed the Mediterranean from north Africa have been detained since the freeze was introduced last month.
Organizations, including the UNHCR UN refugee agency, the Council of Europe and 109 non-profit groups claim the policy flouts international law.
But the government maintains it has helped to reduce migrant numbers.
Four Sudanese nationals detained in Athens are facing deportation but a court in the capital on Monday issued a provisional order to block their return, the refugees council said on Tuesday.
The European Court of Human Rights on August 14 also ordered Greece not to deport the men.
More than 10,000 people arrived in Greece from north Africa since the start of the year — more than double the number for the whole of last year, the UNHCR said.
Some 27 percent of the arrivals were from Sudan, which is stricken by civil war, while 47 percent came from Egypt.
“The clear message that the country will no longer give asylum for the next three months, and that immigrants will be detained, appears to have had an effect,” Migration Minister Thanos Plevris said on August 7.
Prime Minister Kyriakos Mitsotakis says his onservative government has been tightening immigration rules since it came to power in 2019.
Greece has been accused of illegally forcing the return of refugees or asylum seekers to Turkiye but the government has rejected the complaints.
Greece’s proximity to north Africa and the Middle East has long made it central to perilous migration routes to Europe for people escaping conflict, persecution and poverty.
 

 


India’s Election Commission under fire from opposition

India’s Election Commission under fire from opposition
Updated 26 August 2025

India’s Election Commission under fire from opposition

India’s Election Commission under fire from opposition
  • Gandhi, 55, said his party lost dozens of seats in the 2024 parliamentary elections because of vote rigging
  • Over 100,000 “fake” votes were cast in the constituency, he said, courtesy of duplicate voters

NEW DELHI: The Election Commission of India, long regarded as the impartial guardian of the world’s largest democracy, is facing unprecedented scrutiny over its credibility and independence.
Opposition leaders and critics have alleged that large-scale rigging of elections is impacting the overall results of the vote.
The ECI has denied all charges, the first against it in India’s history.
Heading the charge is the leader of the opposition in New Delhi’s parliament, Rahul Gandhi of the Congress party, who previously alleged that India’s electronic voting machines are flawed.
Now Gandhi has accused the ECI of refusing to share digital voter records, detailing what he said was a list of errors after his supporters spent weeks combing through vast piles of registration lists by hand.

Gandhi, 55, said his party lost dozens of seats in the 2024 parliamentary elections because of vote rigging.
The largest democratic exercise in human history across the country of 1.4 billion people was staggered over six weeks.
Gandhi claimed that the ECI manipulated voter rolls to favor Prime Minister Narendra Modi’s Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP).
Modi, 74, won a historic third term last year but fell short of a majority.
The alleged rigging involved a string of tactics, according to Gandhi.
He said some people voted multiple times, citing bulk registrations from one dwelling and seemingly bogus addresses.
In a presentation to reporters on August 7, Gandhi pointed to a parliamentary constituency his party narrowly lost as an “open and shut” example of the alleged irregularities.
Over 100,000 “fake” votes were cast in the constituency, he said, courtesy of duplicate voters.
His Congress party lost the seat by just over 30,000 votes.
“Our demand from the ECI is clear — be transparent and release digital voter rolls so that people and parties can audit them,” Gandhi said.

The ECI has called Gandhi’s accusation “false and misleading.”
India’s chief election commissioner said they would “never” back down from their constitutional duties.
“Politics is being done using the Election Commission... as a tool to target India’s voters,” Gyanesh Kumar told a news conference this month.
“The Election Commission wants to make it clear that it fearlessly stands rock-solid with all voters... without any discrimination and will continue to do so.”
Kumar also said those alleging fraud either need to furnish proof under oath or apologize.
“An affidavit must be submitted or an apology to the nation must be made — there is no third option.”

Gandhi launched a month-long “voter rights” rally in the key battleground state of Bihar on August 17, receiving enthusiastic public response.
The allegations come ahead of elections in Bihar in October or November.
The opposition alleged the ECI had embarked on a “mass disenfranchisement” exercise, after it gave voters in the state just weeks to prove their citizenship, requiring documents that few possess in a registration revamp.
India’s top court stepped in last week, allowing a biometric ID most residents possess to be accepted in Bihar’s voter registration.
The “Special Intensive Revision” (SIR) of voter registration is set to be replicated across India.
Gandhi called the exercise in Bihar the “final conspiracy.”
Activists have reported finding numerous living voters declared dead by election officials, and entire families struck off draft lists.
Voter verification in Bihar is scheduled to be completed by September 25, with the final list released five days later.
“They aim to steal the elections by adding new voters under the guise of SIR and removing existing voters,” Gandhi said.
The ECI has defended the registration revision, saying it is in part to avoid “foreign illegal immigrants” from voting.
Members of Modi’s BJP have long claimed that large numbers of undocumented Muslim migrants from neighboring Bangladesh have fraudulently entered India’s electoral rolls.
Criticism mounted after the ECI replaced Bihar’s machine-readable voter records with scanned image files that do not allow text searches.
Critics said the changes made detecting anomalies more time-consuming and prone to error.
 

 


UN creates artificial intelligence advisory panel

UN creates artificial intelligence advisory panel
Updated 26 August 2025

UN creates artificial intelligence advisory panel

UN creates artificial intelligence advisory panel
  • The resolution foresees what it calls an annual global dialogue among governments and other stake-holders on artificial intelligence governance

UNITED NATIONS, United States: The UN General Assembly on Tuesday created an artificial intelligence advisory body to help countries make decisions about the revolutionary technology.
Member states said they were concerned about the swift development of a life-changing tool they fear could threaten democracy and human rights.
So in September United Nations member states agreed to form an expert-level panel of scientists to facilitate dialogue among governments about AI.
In a resolution approved Tuesday, the General Assembly created what is called the Independent International Scientific Panel on Artificial Intelligence.
Among other activities it will “issue evidence-based scientific assessments synthesizing and analizing existing research related to the opportunities, risks and impacts of artificial intelligence.”
UN Secretary-General Antonio Guterres will now seek people to serve on the 40-member body for a three-year stint.
The resolution also foresees what it calls an annual global dialogue among governments and other stake-holders on artificial intelligence governance.
These parties will discuss international cooperation, share best practices and lessons learned, and talk about AI governance so as to help the world achieve UN global development goals, among other objectives, the text states.
The first of these dialogue sessions will take place in Geneva next year at a world summit on AI.
“The development of artificial intelligence is advancing at a pace and scale that means it affects all states and countries across the globe,” said Costa Rican ambassador Maritza Chan Valverde, who oversaw the discussions leading to the new resolution along with her counterpart from Spain.
“With this resolution, the United Nations reaffirms its central role in guaranteeing that AI will serve humanity,” she added.
 

 


Berlin court convicts Syrian youth over Taylor Swift bomb plot

Exterior view of the Ernst Happel stadium in Vienna on Thursday, Aug.8, 2024. (AP)
Exterior view of the Ernst Happel stadium in Vienna on Thursday, Aug.8, 2024. (AP)
Updated 26 August 2025

Berlin court convicts Syrian youth over Taylor Swift bomb plot

Exterior view of the Ernst Happel stadium in Vienna on Thursday, Aug.8, 2024. (AP)
  • The 16-year-old defendant, named by prosecutors as Mohammad A., was found guilty of “preparing a serious act of violence endangering the state” and “supporting a terrorist act abroad,” the court said in a statement

BERLIN: A Berlin court on Tuesday convicted a Syrian teenager of contributing to a Daesh-inspired plot to attack a Taylor Swift concert in Vienna.
Three dates in the US pop megastar’s record-breaking “Eras” tour were canceled last summer after authorities warned of the plot.
The 16-year-old defendant, named by prosecutors as Mohammad A., was found guilty of “preparing a serious act of violence endangering the state” and “supporting a terrorist act abroad,” the court said in a statement.
He was given an 18-month suspended sentence.
Mohammad A., who was 14 at the time of the foiled attack, had been “radicalized by Daesh propaganda on the Internet,” the court said.
He was found guilty of providing support to another teenager in Austria in plotting the atrocity.
“The defendant sent him a video with instructions on how to build a bomb and put him in contact with an Daesh member,” the court said.
Mohammad A. made a full confession during the trial.
Austrian authorities have detained three suspects over the plot, which was thwarted with the help of US intelligence — all of them teenagers at the time.
The main suspect is an Austrian with North Macedonian roots who has confessed that he “intended to carry out an attack using explosives and knives,” according to Austrian intelligence.
Police first took Mohammad A. into custody last September in the eastern city of Frankfurt an der Oder, where the then 15-year-old went to school.
Swift later wrote on social media that “the reason for the cancelations filled me with a new sense of fear, and a tremendous amount of guilt because so many had planned on coming to those shows.”

 


Macron hits back at Netanyahu antisemitism criticism

President Emmanuel Macron strongly rejected Benjamin Netanyahu’s recent criticism over rising antisemitism in France. (Reuters)
President Emmanuel Macron strongly rejected Benjamin Netanyahu’s recent criticism over rising antisemitism in France. (Reuters)
Updated 26 August 2025

Macron hits back at Netanyahu antisemitism criticism

President Emmanuel Macron strongly rejected Benjamin Netanyahu’s recent criticism over rising antisemitism in France. (Reuters)
  • “Accusations of inaction in the face of a scourge that we are fighting with everything in our power are unacceptable,” Macron wrote to Netanyahu

PARIS: President Emmanuel Macron strongly rejected Benjamin Netanyahu’s recent criticism over rising antisemitism in France and warned the issue should not be “weaponized,” in a letter to the Israeli leader published Tuesday.
Rows have broken out about an increase in antisemitic acts and hate crimes in France as international tensions mount over the conflict in Gaza.
“Accusations of inaction in the face of a scourge that we are fighting with everything in our power are unacceptable and are an offense to France as a whole,” Macron wrote to Netanyahu, in a letter published in several newspapers.
“The fight against antisemitism must not be weaponized and will not fuel any discord between Israel and France.”
Israel has been under mounting pressure to wrap up its campaign in Gaza, where the war has created a humanitarian crisis and devastated much of the territory, and to bring home Israeli hostages held there.
“I solemnly appeal to you to end the desperate race of a murderous and illegal permanent war in Gaza, causing indignity for your country and placing your people in a deadlock,” Macron wrote, in Tuesday’s letter.
In a letter sent in mid-August, Netanyahu had complained that Macron’s promise that France would recognize a Palestinian state was fueling antisemitism.
Macron had announced that France would formally recognize a Palestinian state during a UN meeting in September.
In his letter to Macron, Netanyahu alleged that antisemitism had “surged” in France following the announcement.
“Your call for a Palestinian state pours fuel on this antisemitic fire. It is not diplomacy, it is appeasement,” of the Hamas militants that Israel is fighting in Gaza, the Israeli leader wrote.
A diplomatic row also erupted in recent days between the United States and France when Washington’s ambassador to Paris in a public letter to Macron accused France of a “lack of sufficient action” on antisemitism.
US ambassador Charles Kushner, the father of US President Donald Trump’s son-in-law, was ordered to report to the French foreign ministry on Monday but as Kushner was absent, the US embassy’s charge d’affaires went in his place.
France called Kushner’s allegations “unacceptable.”