Ƶ

France discussing ‘unjustified’ arrest of citizen in Mali

France discussing ‘unjustified’ arrest of citizen in Mali
Leader of Mali's ruling junta Lt. Col. Assimi Goita, center, attends an independence day military parade in Bamako, Mali. (AP)
Short Url
Updated 17 August 2025

France discussing ‘unjustified’ arrest of citizen in Mali

France discussing ‘unjustified’ arrest of citizen in Mali
  • Mali authorities said Thursday that the French national had been arrested on suspicion of working for the French intelligence services, and accused “foreign states” of trying to destabilize the country

PARIS: France’s foreign ministry said Saturday that it was in talks with Mali over the arrest of a Frenchman accused of working with intelligence services to “destabilize” the country, calling the claims “unjustified.”
“Discussions are underway to clear up any misunderstanding” and obtain the “immediate release” of the French embassy employee in Bamako, the ministry said.
Mali authorities said Thursday that the French national had been arrested on suspicion of working for the French intelligence services, and accused “foreign states” of trying to destabilize the country.
The West African country’s ruling junta, which came to power after back-to-back coups in 2020 and 2021, also said that dozens of soldiers had been detained for allegedly seeking to overthrow the government.
France’s foreign ministry said the arrested employee was covered by the Vienna convention on consular relations, meaning he should be released.
Impoverished Mali has been gripped by a security crisis since 2012, fueled notably by violence from groups affiliated with Al-Qaeda and the Islamic State jihadist group, as well as local criminal gangs.
The junta, led by President Assimi Goita, has turned away from Western partners, notably former colonial power France, to align itself politically and militarily with Russia in the name of national sovereignty.


UK still intends to recognize Palestinian state, Foreign Secretary David Lammy to tell MPs

UK still intends to recognize Palestinian state, Foreign Secretary David Lammy to tell MPs
Updated 59 min 27 sec ago

UK still intends to recognize Palestinian state, Foreign Secretary David Lammy to tell MPs

UK still intends to recognize Palestinian state, Foreign Secretary David Lammy to tell MPs
  • PM Keir Starmer said move would be made before UN General Assembly

LONDON: The UK remains on course to recognize a Palestinian state in September, Foreign Secretary David Lammy will tell MPs on Monday, .

Lammy is expected to confirm in a House of Commons statement that officials will carry out a formal assessment in the coming days as to whether Israel has complied with the conditions set out by Prime Minister Keir Starmer.

One UK official told the newspaper: “We will assess all the factors relevant to recognition. But, as things stand, we’re on a pathway to recognition.”

Starmer said that the UK would recognize Palestine before the UN General Assembly, which begins on Sept. 9, unless Israel took “substantive steps” to end the war in Gaza, agreed to a ceasefire, and committed not to annex parts of the West Bank.

Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu’s government has instead hardened its stance, with signs of moving in the opposite direction.

Reuters reported on Sunday that Israel was considering annexation in the West Bank if the UK, France and other countries proceed with recognizing Palestine.

Israeli officials said the issue was discussed at Netanyahu’s Cabinet meeting on Sunday, but gave no indication of where or when annexation could take place.

The British Foreign Office has just over a week to complete its formal assessment of Israel’s position.

Senior officials have said that the timing of Britain’s recognition is being driven more by diplomatic concerns to act in concert with France than by the assessment itself.

Lammy also warned on Sunday that the worsening humanitarian crisis in Gaza, where UN-backed experts have declared a famine in parts of the enclave, was a “man-made catastrophe” caused by Israel’s refusal to allow in sufficient aid.

“The humanitarian situation in Gaza remains catastrophic, with famine in Gaza City and women and girls bearing the brunt of the suffering,” Lammy said in a statement.

“The UK is doing all we can to improve the situation but we remain crystal clear: For aid to have impact, Israel must ensure it is allowed in and delivered safely and securely to civilians in desperate need.”

The government on Sunday announced an additional £3 million ($4.05 million) to provide midwives and emergency medical supplies for new mothers in Gaza. But it stressed that the support would only reach those in need if Israel permitted greater humanitarian access.

“This funding can only have maximum impact if the government of Israel allows it,” Lammy said.

“Israel must ensure protection of civilians including healthcare staff and health infrastructure, and enable the delivery of lifesaving medicines, medical equipment and healthcare supplies into Gaza.”

The long road to Palestinian statehood
An Arab News Deep Dive
Enter
keywords

French PM says ‘fate of France’ at stake in confidence vote

France’s Prime Minister Francois Bayrou speaks with journalists during a live televised interview broadcast with news channels.
France’s Prime Minister Francois Bayrou speaks with journalists during a live televised interview broadcast with news channels.
Updated 55 min 22 sec ago

French PM says ‘fate of France’ at stake in confidence vote

France’s Prime Minister Francois Bayrou speaks with journalists during a live televised interview broadcast with news channels.

PARIS: French Prime Minister Francois Bayrou said on Sunday the destiny of France was at stake in a forthcoming confidence vote, which he called to resolve a budget standoff but is expected to lose.
The September 8 vote in parliament will not decide “the fate of the prime minister” but “the fate of France,” Bayrou said, during an interview with four news channels.
The prime minister stunned France on Monday by saying he would request the vote in a divided parliament, as he tries to garner enough support for his minority government’s plan to slash spending — even as opposition parties say they will not back him.
“I think that the days ahead are crucial,” the 74-year-old prime minister said in the interview with franceinfo, LCI, BFMTV and Cnews.
“If you think that I can give up the battles that I fight, that I am fighting here, that I have been fighting for years and that I will continue to fight in the future, you are mistaken.”
Earlier on Sunday, Socialist leader Olivier Faure said the party’s decision to vote against Bayrou’s government was final.
“The only thing I’m waiting for him to do now is to say goodbye,” Faure said, referring to the prime minister.
Bayrou has said sacrifices must be made to ensure France’s future and bring down the country’s debt.
He said he wanted to save about 44 billion euros ($51 billion) with measures that include reducing the number of holidays and placing a freeze on spending increases.
But the measures have proved deeply unpopular, with seven out of 10 French people saying they want Bayrou to lose the confidence vote, according to a recent poll.
Bayrou’s gamble has raised fears that France risks a new period of political and financial instability.
Speaking earlier Sunday, Justice Minister Gerald Darmanin called on political forces to find a compromise, saying he was concerned that the legacy of the Fifth Republic’s founding father Charles De Gaulle was at risk.
“General De Gaulle’s institutions are at stake if we fall back into the instability of the Fourth Republic, where governments came and went, where the authority of the state was not guaranteed, where the administration had no leader,” Darmanin said in a speech.


Japan firmly condemns Hamas, emphasizes the urgent need for its disarmament

Japan firmly condemns Hamas, emphasizes the urgent need for its disarmament
Updated 31 August 2025

Japan firmly condemns Hamas, emphasizes the urgent need for its disarmament

Japan firmly condemns Hamas, emphasizes the urgent need for its disarmament

TOKYO: Japan has strongly condemned the “terror attacks” carried out by Hamas against Israel approximately two years ago and has called for the disarmament of Hamas.

This condemnation was expressed during a meeting in Tokyo last week between Japanese State Minister FUJII Hisayuki and Amir Ohana, the Speaker of the Israeli Knesset.

Ohana and the father of an Israeli individual held by Hamas, were invited to Tokyo by the Japanese government. During a press conference, they both expressed appreciation for the “help and support that Japan is providing to Israel.”

According to the Foreign Ministry in Tokyo, Fujii expressed concern over what he described as “the deteriorating humanitarian situation in Gaza.” He urged Israel to make greater efforts to achieve a ceasefire as soon as possible and to improve the humanitarian conditions.

Fujii also stated that Japan’s ongoing support for realizing a two-state solution requires confidence-building measures and negotiations between the involved parties.

In response, Speaker Ohana explained Israel’s position, but the ministry did not provide any further details.


India commits to improving ties with China as Modi meets Xi

India commits to improving ties with China as Modi meets Xi
Updated 31 August 2025

India commits to improving ties with China as Modi meets Xi

India commits to improving ties with China as Modi meets Xi
  • It is the Indian prime minister’s first visit to China since the 2018 SCO summit in Wuhan
  • India-China relations became tense after deadly clashes along their Himalayan border in 2020

NEW DELHI: India is committed to improving ties with China, Prime Minister Narendra Modi said during a meeting with Chinese President Xi Jinping on Sunday, as the world’s two most populous nations pursue a warming in relations in the wake of shared tensions with the US.

Modi flew to China to attend a meeting of the Shanghai Cooperation Organization in Tianjin, along with Russian President Vladimir Putin and other leaders from South and Central Asia.

It is the Indian prime minister’s first visit to China since the SCO summit in Wuhan in 2018, as relations were later strained for years following deadly clashes along their Himalayan border.

Talks over the disputed border resumed earlier this month, with Beijing top diplomat Wang Yi’s visit to New Delhi.

“An atmosphere of peace and stability has been created after the disengagement on the border. Agreements have been reached between our special representatives regarding border management,” Modi said in his opening remarks during his meeting with Xi, a video of which he shared on social media.

“The interests of 2.8 billion people of both the countries are linked to our cooperation. This will also pave the way for the welfare of the entire humanity. We are committed to taking our relations forward on the basis of mutual trust, respect and sensitivity.”

The nuclear-armed neighbors were locked in a standoff triggered by deadly clashes along their Himalayan border, known as the Line of Actual Control, in 2020.

Tens of thousands of troops, tanks, and artillery have since been deployed on both sides of the LAC, with both countries building new roads, bunkers, and airstrips in the high-altitude area.

India restricted Chinese investments, banned dozens of Chinese apps, and scrutinized trade ties, as it deepened relations with Beijing’s rivals — the US, Japan, and Australia.

But US President Donald Trump’s trade war, in which, in early August, he hiked the total duty on Indian exports over New Delhi’s purchases of Russian oil, has created an opening for the two Asian giants to seek to mend their ties.

India’s Ministry of External Affairs quoted Modi as saying during the meeting with Xi that both countries “pursue strategic autonomy, and their relations should not be seen through a third country lens.”

The statement, according to Manoj Kewalramani, chairperson of the Indo-Pacific Research Program and a China studies fellow at the Takshashila Institution, needed to be considered in Beijing’s “strategic cognition,” as well as its vision of Asia’s multipolarity.

“It is high time that Beijing began viewing India for India’s sake, and not via Washington, D.C.-tinted glasses,” he said.

“On the issue of multipolarity, both sides have long agreed that the world should be moving in that direction. The difference between them, however, has been about whether global multipolarity also entails a multipolar Asia. The Indian readout reiterates this objective of Asian multipolarity, whereas the Chinese readout does not do so.”


Bangladeshis lose 5.5 years of life to world’s most polluted air

People move through a dusty road, as air quality reduces ahead of the winter in Dhaka, Bangladesh, Nov. 4, 2024. (File/Reuters)
People move through a dusty road, as air quality reduces ahead of the winter in Dhaka, Bangladesh, Nov. 4, 2024. (File/Reuters)
Updated 31 August 2025

Bangladeshis lose 5.5 years of life to world’s most polluted air

People move through a dusty road, as air quality reduces ahead of the winter in Dhaka, Bangladesh, Nov. 4, 2024. (File/Reuters)
  • Situation worsened since last year, when estimated life expectancy loss was 4.8 years
  • Government seeks to launch action this year to control some sources of pollution

DHAKA: Air pollution shortens the average Bangladeshi’s life by 5.5 years, making it the world’s most affected country, latest data shows, as the government vows to act by the year’s end.

According to last week’s Air Quality Life Index report by the University of Chicago’s Energy Policy Institute, “air pollution is the greatest external threat to life expectancy” in Bangladesh, which is currently “the world’s most polluted country.”

All of Bangladesh’s 166.8 million people live in areas where the yearly average level of fine particulate pollution exceeds both the World Health Organization’s guideline of 5 micrograms per cubic meter of air and the country’s national limit of 35 micrograms. In places like the capital, Dhaka, the concentration was above 76 micrograms.

“The average Bangladeshi resident could live 5.5 years longer if particulate pollution met the World Health Organization (WHO) guideline,” the report says. In Dhaka, the impact of toxic air is particularly severe, slashing the average life expectancy by 6.9 years.

The report also shows that the air quality is quickly worsening despite the government’s attempts to address the problem.

“It’s very concerning for us. I doubt if there are any other countries in the world that witnessed such a grave situation,” said Dr. Ahmad Kamruzzaman Majumder, professor at the Department of Environmental Science at Stamford University in Dhaka.

“Air pollution has reached such a severe level here that no research is needed to identify it, as one can see it with the naked eye.”

Smog is an everyday reality for residents of Bangladeshi cities, as it shrouds them almost every morning. But what is more dangerous is the pollution that the eye cannot see: particulate matter, PM2.5 — tiny airborne particles less than 2.5 micrometers wide that can penetrate deep into the lungs and bloodstream.

PM2.5 levels in Bangladesh have been on a sharp rise since the late 1990s. The only time they dropped was during the coronavirus pandemic in 2022, but that trend did not last.

“In last year’s AQLI report, our average life expectancy was reduced by 4.8 years, and this year it’s reported as 5.5 years,” Majumder said.

“The situation is very alarming. It shows that the state has failed to ensure a safe environment for the protection of its people. Bangladesh didn’t reject this report, which means the Bangladeshi government also agrees with the findings of this report. The state can’t evade the responsibility here.”

As the main sources of pollution, he listed increasing use of fossil fuels and fumes from brick kilns, which burn coal or wood to fire bricks.

“Every year, an additional 100,000 vehicles hit the streets of Dhaka. Many of these vehicles operate without proper fitness checks, contributing significantly to air pollution,” he said.

“Transboundary air pollution from neighboring countries is also affecting us. The lack of proper waste management, including open burning, is also a big factor.”

In response to the latest air pollution report, the government vows to step up its efforts by the year’s end, although the task is not easy, with Dr. Ziaul Huq, director of air quality management at the Department of Environment, admitting that “every source of air pollution” exists in Bangladesh’s environment.

“We are trying to withdraw the vehicles without fitness checks from the streets, but we are yet to see any success in this sector,” he told Arab News.

“Big industries that are responsible for air pollution, we will bring them under constant monitoring. A device will be installed at their factory furnace, and our officials will continuously monitor the emission results centrally. If any deviation is found, we will intervene immediately. This work will begin within the next two months under the ‘Bangladesh Clean Air’ project.”

While not all sources of pollution can be controlled, some, until now, have not been properly addressed.

“In the case of Dhaka, transboundary pollution is responsible for 30 percent to 35 percent of air pollution. This situation is beyond our control. From October to April, 35 percent of air pollution in Dhaka comes from outside the country,” he said.

“Thirty-nine percent of Dhaka’s air pollution is caused by the burning of waste and firewood. We couldn’t address this issue properly. Our efforts are there.”