Ƶ

Suspects blame technical faults for Baltic Sea cable breaches

Update Suspects blame technical faults for Baltic Sea cable breaches
Above, the oil tanker Eagle S on the sea outside the Porkkalanniemi on Dec. 26, 2024. (Finnish Border Guard/AFP)
Short Url
Updated 25 August 2025

Suspects blame technical faults for Baltic Sea cable breaches

Suspects blame technical faults for Baltic Sea cable breaches
  • NATO allies with forces stationed around the Baltic Sea went on high alert after the December 25 incident
  • Prosecutors say the Eagle S tanker deliberately dragged its 11,000kg anchor along the seabed

HELSINKI: The captain of an oil tanker and two officers accused of severing five undersea power and telecoms cables in the Baltic Sea last December, blamed technical faults for the damage as their trial began in Helsinki on Monday.

NATO allies with forces stationed around the Baltic Sea went on high alert after the December 25 incident, one of a string of suspicious cable and gas pipeline outages in the region since Russia invaded Ukraine in February 2022.

Prosecutors say the Eagle S tanker deliberately dragged its 11,000 kg (24,250 lb) anchor along the seabed to sever the Estlink 2 power cable linking Finland and Estonia and four Internet cables as the vessel sailed from a Russian port via the Gulf of Finland.

Finnish security forces intercepted the Cook Islands-registered ship and boarded it from helicopters after ordering it to move into Finnish territorial waters.

The tanker’s Georgian captain, Davit Vadatchkoria, and its Georgian first and Indian second officers pleaded not guilty, saying the vessel’s anchor had dropped due to technical faults in the securing of the anchor winch.

State prosecutor Heidi Nummela said that, while investigators did not find proof that the anchor’s fastening had been manipulated, the failure of all three available backstops was at minimum a sign of gross negligence on the crew’s part.

Finnish prosecutors are seeking 2.5 years in prison for aggravated criminal mischief and aggravated interference with telecommunications for the defendants who deny all charges and reject the cable owners’ claims for damages that amount to tens of millions of euros.

They also questioned the court’s jurisdiction in the matter, given the cable cuts occurred in international waters.

“This was a normal marine accident, not any sabotage,” second officer Santosh Kumar Chuarasia told reporters during a break.

He said that the anchor dropped due to bad weather and mechanical malfunction and that he trusted the court to rule in the defendants’ favor.

Vadatchkoria declined comment, while his lawyer Tommi Heinonen told the court the incident was “a marine accident.” On December 25, the Eagle S sailed on for three hours at a reduced speed after severing the first power cable at 12:26 p.m. (1026 GMT), prosecutors told the court.

When contacted by Finnish marine authorities at 3:20 p.m. and asked whether its anchor was up and secured, its crew replied in the affirmative, which was not true, prosecutors said.

Defense lawyers said the defendants had no reason to believe the anchor had sunk to the seabed as the tanker’s mechanical engineer, who is not on trial, had told them the drop in speed was caused by “an engine problem.” Prosecutors said the tanker sailed on and cut four more cables between 6 p.m. and 7 p.m. that day, which they said showed clear criminal intent.

Last week, a Ukrainian was arrested over the 2022 attacks on the Nord Stream gas pipelines in the Baltic Sea.

Both Moscow and the West have described the explosions, which largely severed Russian gas supplies to Europe, as sabotage.


EU urges US to reconsider ban on Palestinian officials attending UN assembly

EU urges US to reconsider ban on Palestinian officials attending UN assembly
Updated 55 min ago

EU urges US to reconsider ban on Palestinian officials attending UN assembly

EU urges US to reconsider ban on Palestinian officials attending UN assembly
  • Kallas said she had asked EU governments to submit proposals for new sanctions against Russia

COPENHAGEN: European Union foreign ministers have urged the United States to reconsider its decision not to allow Palestinian officials to take part in the UN General Assembly in New York, EU foreign policy chief Kaja Kallas said on Saturday.

Speaking after a meeting of the ministers in the Danish capital Copenhagen, Kallas also said she had asked EU governments to submit proposals next week for another package of sanctions against Russia over its war in Ukraine.


China’s support for multilateralism is vital, says UN’s Guterres

China’s support for multilateralism is vital, says UN’s Guterres
Updated 30 August 2025

China’s support for multilateralism is vital, says UN’s Guterres

China’s support for multilateralism is vital, says UN’s Guterres
  • Xi in turn said China would always be a “reliable partner” to the UN
  • “In this moment in which multilateralism is under fire, the support of China...is an extremely important element to preserve,” Guterres said

TIANJIN, China: China’s role in upholding multilateralism is fundamental, United Nations Secretary-General Antonio Guterres told Chinese president Xi Jinping on the sidelines of a security forum meeting on Saturday.

Xi in turn said China would always be a “reliable partner” to the UN and continue to provide “stability and certainty.”

Guterres is in China’s northern port city of Tianjin for a meeting of the Shanghai Cooperation Organization, where Russian President Vladimir Putin and leaders from Central Asia, Southeast Asia, South Asia and the Middle East will gather with Xi in a powerful show of Global South solidarity.

“In this moment in which multilateralism is under fire, the support of China...is an extremely important element to preserve,” he said, according to a media pool report.

“We see new forms of policy that are sometimes difficult to understand, that sometimes look more like a show than the serious diplomatic efforts and in which business and politics seem sometimes also mixed,” Guterres said.

“The role of the People’s Republic of China as a fundamental pillar of the multilateral system is extremely important and we are extremely appreciative and grateful for that,” he added.

Xi promised China’s support.

“China is willing to deepen cooperation with the United Nations, supports its central role in international affairs, and jointly shoulder its responsibilities in maintaining world peace and promoting development and prosperity,” Xi told Guterres.


Ukrainian former parliamentary speaker Parubiy shot dead in Lviv

Ukrainian former parliamentary speaker Parubiy shot dead in Lviv
Updated 30 August 2025

Ukrainian former parliamentary speaker Parubiy shot dead in Lviv

Ukrainian former parliamentary speaker Parubiy shot dead in Lviv
  • The Prosecutor General’s office said a gunman had fired several shots at Parubiy, killing him on the spot
  • Officials gave no immediate indication whether the murder had any direct link to Russia’s war in Ukraine

KYIV: Ukrainian former parliamentary speaker Andriy Parubiy was shot dead in the western city of Lviv on Saturday and a search was under way for the killer.

The Prosecutor General’s office said a gunman had fired several shots at Parubiy, killing him on the spot. The attacker fled and a manhunt was launched, it said.

Parubiy, 54, was a member of parliament, had been parliamentary speaker from April 2016 to August 2019, and was one of the leaders of protests in 2013-14 calling for closer ties with the European Union.

He was also secretary of Ukraine’s National Security and Defense Council from February to August 2014, a period when fighting began in eastern Ukraine and Russia annexed the Crimea peninsula.

Officials gave no immediate indication whether the murder had any direct link to Russia’s war in Ukraine.

“Minister of Internal Affairs Ihor Klymenko and Prosecutor General Ruslan Kravchenko have just reported on the first known circumstances of a horrific murder in Lviv. Andriy Parubiy has been killed,” President Volodymyr Zelensky wrote on X.

He sent his condolence to Parubiy’s family and loved ones, and added: “All necessary forces and means are engaged in the investigation and search for the killer.”

National police said the shooting in Lviv was reported at around noon (0900 GMT). Lviv Mayor Andriy Sadovyi said finding the killer and establishing the circumstances of the attack was of outmost importance.

“This is a matter of security in a country at war, where, as we can see, there are no completely safe places,” he wrote on Telegram.

TRIBUTES POUR IN

Tributes poured in from colleagues in parliament and the government, praising Parubiy’s contribution to Ukraine’s fight for sovereignty and independence as one of the leaders of what became known as the Euromaidan protests in 2013-14.

Former President Petro Poroshenko said on Telegram that the killing of Parubiy, who was a member of the parliamentary committee on national security, defense and intelligence, was “a shot fired at the heart of Ukraine.”

“Andriy was a great man and a true friend. That is why they take revenge, that is what they are afraid of,” he said, lauding Parubiy’s contribution to building out the Ukrainian army.

In a statement on Telegram, Foreign Minister Andrii Sybiha described Parubiy as “a patriot and statesman who made an enormous contribution to the defense of Ukraine’s freedom, independence and sovereignty. He was a man who rightfully belongs in the history books.”

Ukrainian law enforcement provided no information on the killer’s identity or motives.

Ukrainian Prime Minister Yulia Svyrydenko called for a prompt investigation of the murder, calling it “a profound loss” for the country.

“You always remained a patriot of Ukraine and made a great contribution to the formation of our state,” she wrote on X.


India’s Modi arrives in Tianjin ahead of summit hosted by China

India’s Modi arrives in Tianjin ahead of summit hosted by China
Updated 30 August 2025

India’s Modi arrives in Tianjin ahead of summit hosted by China

India’s Modi arrives in Tianjin ahead of summit hosted by China
  • The Shanghai Cooperation Organization gathering will be held in the northern port city on Sunday and Monday
  • Narendra Modi’s visit – his first to China since 2018 – comes straight after a trip to Japan

TIANJIN, China: Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi touched down in the Chinese city of Tianjin on Saturday evening, Indian TV networks showed, a day before a summit that will be attended by leaders from more than 20 countries.
The Shanghai Cooperation Organization gathering will be held in the northern port city on Sunday and Monday, days before a massive military parade in nearby Beijing to mark 80 years since the end of World War II.
North Korea’s Kim Jong Un will be among some 26 world leaders slated to attend the parade, though Modi was not on a list of attendees for the parade published by Chinese state media on Thursday.
Modi’s visit – his first to China since 2018 – comes straight after a trip to Japan, which pledged to invest $68 billion in India.
China and IndiA, the world’s two most populous nations, are intense rivals competing for influence across South Asia and fought a deadly border clash in 2020.
A thaw began last October when Modi met with Chinese President Xi Jinping for the first time in five years at a summit in Russia.
The SCO comprises China, India, Russia, Pakistan, Iran, Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan, Tajikistan, Uzbekistan and Belarus. Another 16 countries are affiliated as observers or “dialogue partners.”
Xi began welcoming leaders including Cambodian Prime Minister Hun Manet and Egyptian Premier Moustafa Madbouly on Saturday.
Russian President Vladimir Putin is also due to arrive in Tianjin ahead of the summit.
China and Russia have used the SCO – sometimes touted as a counter to the Western-dominated NATO military alliance – to deepen ties with Central Asian states.
Other leaders including Iranian and Turkish presidents Masoud Pezeshkian and Recep Tayyip Erdogan will also attend the bloc’s largest meeting since its founding in 2001.
Multiple bilateral meetings are expected to be held on the sidelines of the summit.
The Kremlin said on Friday that Putin will discuss the Ukraine conflict with Erdogan on Monday.
Turkiye has hosted three rounds of peace talks between Russia and Ukraine this year that have failed to break the deadlock over how to end the conflict, triggered when Moscow launched its invasion of its pro-European neighbor in February 2022.
Putin will also meet with his Iranian counterpart Pezeshkian to discuss Tehran’s nuclear program on Monday, a meeting that comes as Iran faces fresh Western pressure.
Britain, France and Germany, known as the E3, triggered a “snapback” mechanism on Thursday to reinstate UN sanctions on Iran for failing to comply with commitments made in a 2015 deal over its nuclear program.
Russia’s foreign ministry warned that the reimposition of sanctions against Iran risked “irreparable consequences.”
Tehran and Moscow have been bolstering political, military and economic ties over the past decade as Russia drifted away from the West.
Relations between them grew even closer after Russia launched its offensive against Ukraine.


New $250 visa fee risks deepening US travel slump

New $250 visa fee risks deepening US travel slump
Updated 30 August 2025

New $250 visa fee risks deepening US travel slump

New $250 visa fee risks deepening US travel slump
  • Fee impacts travelers from non-visa waiver countries like Mexico, India, China
  • Visa fee raises total cost to $442, among highest globally

NEW YORK: A new $250 “visa integrity fee” imposed on travelers to the United States risks piling more pressure on the struggling travel industry, as overseas arrivals continue to fall due to President Donald Trump’s crackdown on immigration and hostility to many foreign countries. Overseas travel to the US fell 3.1 percent year-on-year in July to 19.2 million visitors, according to US government data. It was the fifth month of decline this year, defying expectations that 2025 would see annual inbound visitors finally surpass the pre-pandemic level of 79.4 million. The new visa fee, set to go into effect on October 1, adds an additional hurdle for travelers from non-visa waiver countries like Mexico, Argentina, India, Brazil and China. The extra charge raises the total visa cost to $442, one of the highest visitor fees in the world, according to the US Travel Association, a membership organization.
“Any friction we add to the traveler experience is going to cut travel volumes by some amount,” said Gabe Rizzi, President of Altour, a global travel management company. “As the summer ends this will become a more pressing issue, and we’ll have to factor the fees into travel budgets and documentation.” International visitor spending in the US is projected to fall below $169 billion this year, down from $181 billion in 2024, according to the World Travel & Tourism Council. The visa fee reinforces a bleak perception of the US under Trump, whose immigration policies, cuts to foreign aid and sweeping tariffs have eroded America’s appeal as a destination — even with major events like the 2026 FIFA World Cup and Los Angeles 2028 Olympics on the horizon. The Trump administration on Wednesday proposed government regulation that aims to tighten the duration of visas for students, cultural exchange visitors and members of the media. In early August, the administration said the US could require bonds of up to $15,000 for some tourist and business visas under a pilot program effective August 20 that will last for approximately a year, in an effort to crack down on visitors overstaying their visas. Tourism Economics, an Oxford Economics consultancy, forecast in December 2024 that overseas travel to the US in 2025 would increase more than 10 percent year-over-year. Instead, it is on track to fall 3 percent, said Aran Ryan, director of industry studies at Tourism Economics.
“We see it as a sustained setback, and we anticipate much of it is in place throughout the administration,” Ryan said.

HARDEST HIT
The newest visa fee is likely to hit hardest in Central and South American countries that have been a rare bright spot for US travel this year.
As of May, travel from Mexico to the US was up nearly 14 percent in 2025, according to the National Travel and Tourism Office.
Arrivals from Argentina rose 20 percent and from Brazil 4.6 percent year-to-date. Overall, travel from Central America grew 3 percent and from South America 0.7 percent, compared with a decline of 2.3 percent from Western Europe.
In China, arrivals have remained muted since the pandemic, with July numbers still 53 percent below 2019 levels. The visa fee also threatens travel from India, where visits are down 2.4 percent so far this year, driven by a near 18 percent drop in students.
For some, the rise in fees will be absorbed as just another cost in an already expensive trip to the US
“The US has always been selective about its visitors. If your financial standing isn’t up to par, getting a visa is tough anyway,” said Su Shu, founder of Chinese firm Moment Travel in Chengdu.
As foreign visitors face higher entry fees, US travelers worry about stricter requirements being imposed abroad, said James Kitchen, travel agent and owner of Seas 2 Day & Travel.
“Travelers have expressed concern around reciprocal fees that may be imposed in the coming months,” Kitchen said.