Ƶ

South Korea tightens security for opposition leader over suspected plot, Yonhap reports

South Korea tightens security for opposition leader over suspected plot, Yonhap reports
South Korea’s opposition Democratic Party leader, Lee Jae-myung, was stabbed in the neck in January last year by a man who lunged at him with a knife after asking for his autograph. (Reuters)
Short Url
Updated 18 March 2025

South Korea tightens security for opposition leader over suspected plot, Yonhap reports

South Korea tightens security for opposition leader over suspected plot, Yonhap reports
  • Move comes after the Democratic Party had last week urged police to ramp up security for Lee Jae-myung
  • Some main opposition party lawmakers were tipped off about an assassination plot targeting Lee

SEOUL: South Korean police started on Tuesday providing additional security for the leader of the main opposition Democratic Party, after lawmakers had warned of a potential assassination plot targeting Lee Jae-myung, the Yonhap News Agency reported.
The move comes after the party had last week urged police to ramp up security for Lee after some of its lawmakers said they were tipped off about an assassination plot against him.
Police did not immediately respond to a request for comment.
In January last year, Lee was stabbed in the neck by a man who lunged at him with a knife after asking for his autograph.
The man was sentenced to 15 years in prison, according to media reports.
Tensions have been running high in South Korea since President Yoon Suk Yeol briefly imposed martial law last December, triggering the country’s worst political crisis in decades.
His martial law imposition and its fallout have widened deep social rifts between conservatives and liberals and put pressure on institutions.
Yoon faces a criminal trial on charges of insurrection, while the Constitutional Court is also expected to rule in coming days on whether to uphold his impeachment and permanently strip him of his powers.
Police have been preparing for the risk of clashes, with both Yoon’s supporters and his opponents are due to hold large rallies when the court makes its decision.
South Korea’s acting President Choi Sang-mok repeated on Tuesday a call for citizens to accept and respect the court’s ruling.
Hundreds of Yoon supporters stormed a court building in January after his detention was extended, smashing windows and other items, an attack the acting leader called “unimaginable.”


Kremlin: Europe is hindering Trump’s peace efforts on Ukraine

Kremlin: Europe is hindering Trump’s peace efforts on Ukraine
Updated 3 sec ago

Kremlin: Europe is hindering Trump’s peace efforts on Ukraine

Kremlin: Europe is hindering Trump’s peace efforts on Ukraine
  • European powers say that they do not believe Vladimir Putin wants peace in Ukraine
MOSCOW: The Kremlin said that European powers were hindering US President Donald Trump’s efforts to achieve peace in Ukraine and that Russia would continue its operation in Ukraine until Moscow saw real signs that Kyiv was ready for peace.
Kremlin spokesman Dmitry Peskov told Russian state media reporters that the “European party of war” was continuing to hinder US and Russian efforts on Ukraine.
“We are ready to resolve the problem by political and diplomatic means,” Peskov said. “But so far we do not see reciprocity from Kyiv in this. So we shall continue the special military operation.”
Russian President Vladimir Putin ordered tens of thousands of troops to invade Ukraine in February 2022 after eight years of fighting in eastern Ukraine between Russian-backed separatists and Ukrainian troops.
The United States says over 1.2 million people have been killed and injured in the war since 2022. Russia currently controls a little under one fifth of Ukraine.
European powers say that they do not believe Putin wants peace in Ukraine. Putin has repeatedly said he is ready to discuss peace but that Russia will not give up any of the land that it has taken in Ukraine.
Russian Defense Minister Andrei Belousov said on Friday that the Russian army had sped up its rate of advance in Ukraine and was taking control of 600-700 square km (502 square miles) a month compared to 300-400 square km at the start of the year.

Sexual harassment rampant in Rohingya camps: study

Sexual harassment rampant in Rohingya camps: study
Updated 13 min 50 sec ago

Sexual harassment rampant in Rohingya camps: study

Sexual harassment rampant in Rohingya camps: study
  • Cox’s Bazar is home to around a million Rohingyas, fleeing a brutal military crackdown in Myanmar’s Rakhine state

DHAKA: Sexual harassment remains the most pressing concern for Rohingya women and adolescents living in squalid refugee camps in Bangladesh’s Cox’s Bazar, according to a study released Sunday.
Cox’s Bazar is home to around a million largely Muslim Rohingya minority, fleeing a brutal military crackdown in Myanmar’s Rakhine state.
ActionAid – one of the largest non-profits operating in the camps since the influx in 2017 – conducted 66 in-depth interviews, revealing dire challenges faced by women and adolescents.
“Sexual harassment is the biggest concern,” said Tamazer Ahmed, policy, research and advocacy manager at ActionAid.
“Early marriage and polygamy have become normalized, and 93 percent of interviewees remained outside the scope of legal assistance.”
The participants said the violence was meted out not only by men known to their families but also members of the Armed Police Battalion (APBN) – a security force deployed by the Bangladesh government.
Ahmed said women in the camps described a shift in the nature of threats over the years, from lack of basic amenities in the early days to more systemic abuses now.
“Now, Rohingya women and adolescents often fall victim to molestation, rape, trafficking, poverty, educational exclusion, and even death,” Ahmed said.
Girls aged between 6 and 15 were particularly vulnerable, with most incidents of sexual harassment occurring near latrines and bathing points.
They were also vulnerable at distribution centers, hospitals, schools and madrassas, border zones and even within relatives’ homes.
“Patriarchy runs deep in the Rohingya community,” said Farah Kabir, executive director at ActionAid.
“But the views of the Rohingya women, mostly aged 16 to 30 years, were central to the research.”
The women surveyed urged authorities to improve lighting in public areas, replace APBN officers with army personnel, engage men in prevention efforts, and expand access to education and livelihoods.
Trust in law enforcement and religious leaders remained low, with many women saying they had almost nowhere to turn when facing abuse.
Kausar Sikdar, commanding officer of APBN, however said they were not aware of any such allegations against the force.
Bangladesh has recorded a surge of refugees from Myanmar since early 2024, with 150,000 more Rohingya arriving.


Pope Leo XIV denounces ‘pandemic of arms’ as he prays for victims of Minnesota school shooting

Pope Leo XIV denounces ‘pandemic of arms’ as he prays for victims of Minnesota school shooting
Updated 34 min 7 sec ago

Pope Leo XIV denounces ‘pandemic of arms’ as he prays for victims of Minnesota school shooting

Pope Leo XIV denounces ‘pandemic of arms’ as he prays for victims of Minnesota school shooting
  • The shooting occurred at the Church of Annunciation in Minneapolis, killing two children and injuring 20 others
  • The shooter fired 116 rifle rounds through the church’s stained-glass windows before dying by suicide

VATICAN CITY: Pope Leo XIV on Sunday denounced the “pandemic of arms, large and small,” as he prayed publicly for the victims of the shooting during a Catholic school Mass in the United States.
History’s first US pope spoke in English as he appealed for an end to the “logic of weapons” and for a culture of fraternity to prevail, during his Sunday noon blessing from his studio overlooking St. Peter’s Square.
“Our prayers for the victims of the tragic shooting during a school Mass in the American state of Minnesota,” said the Chicago-born Leo. “We hold in our prayers the countless children killed and injured every day around the world. Let us plead God to stop the pandemic of arms, large and small, which infects our world.”
Two children were killed and 20 people were injured during the shooting attack at the Church of Annunciation in Minneapolis, as hundreds of students from the nearby Annunciation Catholic School and others gathered for a Mass. The shooter fired 116 rifle rounds through the church’s stained-glass windows, and later died by suicide.
In the immediate aftermath of the shooting, Leo had refrained from any political commentary about guns, sending a telegram of condolence that focused exclusively on the spiritual. He said he was saddened by the “terrible tragedy” and sent his “heartfelt condolences and the assurance of spiritual closeness to all those affected.”


Archbishop criticizes Reform’s Farage over ‘knee-jerk’ UK asylum plans

Archbishop criticizes Reform’s Farage over ‘knee-jerk’ UK asylum plans
Updated 31 August 2025

Archbishop criticizes Reform’s Farage over ‘knee-jerk’ UK asylum plans

Archbishop criticizes Reform’s Farage over ‘knee-jerk’ UK asylum plans
  • Stephen Cottrell’s criticism is the latest in a growing row in Britain over how to deal with the large numbers of asylum seekers

LONDON: The Archbishop of York, Stephen Cottrell, has criticized the leader of Britain’s populist Reform UK party, Nigel Farage, describing his plans for mass deportations of asylum seekers as an “isolationist, short-term, knee-jerk” response.
Cottrell, the Church of England’s second most senior clergyman who is performing some functions of the Archbishop of Canterbury while a new head of the Church is selected, told Sky News that Brexit veteran Farage was “not offering any long-term solution to the big issues which are convulsing our world.”
He said in an pre-recorded interview aired on Sunday that people should “actively resist the kind of isolationist, short-term, knee-jerk ... send them home” policies.
In response, Reform UK’s deputy leader, Richard Tice, said “the role of the Archbishop is not actually to interfere with international migration policy that is determined by the government.”
Cottrell’s criticism is the latest in a growing row in Britain over how to deal with the large numbers of asylum seekers arriving in boats, an issue which has seen weeks of summer protests outside hotels where some of them are housed.
The Labour government says it is tackling a problem left by earlier, Conservative administrations by trying to process asylum claims more quickly and brokering return deals with other nations, but is under growing pressure to act fast.
Reform UK, which has a commanding lead in opinion polls before an election expected to take place in 2029, took the initiative to lead on the issue last week when Farage unveiled his party’s plans to remove asylum seekers by repealing or disapplying treaties used to block forced deportations.
Cottrell said those plans did little to address the main issue of why asylum seekers wanted to travel to Britain, and “so if you think that’s the answer you will discover, in due course, that all you have done is made the problem worse.”


Pakistan’s Punjab faces the biggest floods in its history, affecting 2 million people

Pakistan’s Punjab faces the biggest floods in its history, affecting 2 million people
Updated 31 August 2025

Pakistan’s Punjab faces the biggest floods in its history, affecting 2 million people

Pakistan’s Punjab faces the biggest floods in its history, affecting 2 million people
  • On Sunday, the senior minister for the province, Maryam Aurangzeb, said the flood affected two million people
  • Local authorities are using educational institutions and security facilities as rescue camps. Since June 26, 849 people have been killed and 1,130 injured nationwide in rain-related incidents

LAHORE: Pakistan’s eastern Punjab province is dealing with the biggest flood in its history, a senior official said Sunday, as water levels of rivers rise to all-time highs.
Global warming has worsened monsoon rains this year in Pakistan, one of the countries most vulnerable to climate change. Downpours and cloudbursts have triggered flash floods and landslides across the mountainous north and northwest in recent months.
Residents in eastern Punjab have also experienced abnormal amounts of rain, as well as cross-border flooding after India released water from swollen rivers and overflowing dams into Pakistan’s low-lying regions.
The senior minister for the province, Maryam Aurangzeb, told a press conference on Sunday: “This is the biggest flood in the history of the Punjab. The flood has affected two million people. It’s the first time that the three rivers — Sutlej, Chenab, and Ravi — have carried such high levels of water.”
Local authorities are using educational institutions, police, and security facilities as rescue camps, and evacuating people, including by boat, she said.
“The Foreign Ministry is collecting data regarding India’s deliberate release of water into Pakistan,” added Aurangzeb. There was no immediate comment from India.
India alerted its neighbor to the possibility of cross-border flooding last week, the first public diplomatic contact between the two countries since a crisis brought them close to war in May.
Punjab, home to some 150 million people, is a vital part of the country’s agricultural sector and is Pakistan’s main wheat producer. Ferocious flooding in 2022 wiped out huge swaths of crops in the east and south of the country, leading Prime Minister Shehbaz Sharif to warn that his country faced food shortages.
Figures from Pakistan’s national weather center show that Punjab received 26.5 percent more monsoon rain between July 1 and August 27 compared to the same period last year.
The country’s disaster management authority said 849 people have been killed and 1,130 injured nationwide in rain-related incidents since June 26.
Pakistan’s monsoon season usually runs to the end of September.