Ƶ

Israel pounds Gaza City suburbs, Netanyahu to convene security cabinet

Israel pounds Gaza City suburbs, Netanyahu to convene security cabinet
Israel’s military campaign in Gaza has killed more than 63,000 people, mostly civilians, according to Gaza health officials. (AP)
Short Url
Updated 4 sec ago

Israel pounds Gaza City suburbs, Netanyahu to convene security cabinet

Israel pounds Gaza City suburbs, Netanyahu to convene security cabinet
  • Security cabinet will discuss the next stages of the planned offensive to seize Gaza City

CAIRO/JERUSALEM: Israeli forces pounded the suburbs of Gaza City overnight from the air and ground, destroying homes and driving more families out of the area as Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu’s security cabinet was set on Sunday to discuss a plan to seize the city.
Local health authorities said Israeli gunfire and strikes killed at least 18 people on Sunday, including 13 who tried to get food from near an aid site in the central Gaza Strip, and at least two in a house in Gaza City.
The Israeli military spokesperson’s office said they were reviewing the reports.
Residents of Sheikh Radwan, one of the largest neighborhoods of Gaza City, said the territory had been under Israeli tank shelling and airstrikes throughout Saturday and on Sunday, forcing families to seek shelter in the western parts of the city.
The Israeli military has gradually escalated its operations around Gaza City over the past three weeks, and on Friday it ended temporary pauses in the area that had allowed for aid deliveries, designating it a “dangerous combat zone.”
“They are crawling into the heart of the city where hundreds of thousands are sheltering, from the east, north, and south, while bombing those areas from the air and ground to scare people to leave,” said Rezik Salah, a father of two, from Sheikh Radwan.
An Israeli official said Netanyahu’s security cabinet will convene on Sunday evening to discuss the next stages of the planned offensive to seize Gaza City, which he has described as Hamas’ last bastion.
A full-scale offensive is not expected to start for weeks. Israel says it wants to evacuate the civilian population before moving more ground forces in. On Saturday, Red Cross head Mirjana Spoljaric said an evacuation from the city would provoke a massive population displacement that no other area in the Gaza Strip is equipped to absorb, amid severe shortages of food, shelter, and medical supplies.
“People who have relatives in the south left to stay with them. Others including myself didn’t find a space as Deir Al-Balah and Mawasi are overcrowded,” said Ghada, a mother of five from the city’s Sabra neighborhood. Around half of the enclave’s more than 2 million people are presently in Gaza City. Several thousand were estimated to have left the city for central and southern areas of the enclave, according to local sources.
Israel’s military has warned its political leaders that the offensive is endangering hostages still being held by Hamas in Gaza. Protests in Israel calling for an end to the war and the release of the hostages have intensified in the past few weeks.
Large crowds demonstrated in Tel Aviv on Saturday evening, and hostages’ families protested outside the homes of ministers on Sunday morning.
The war began with a Hamas-led attack on southern Israel on October 7, 2023, in which around 1,200 people were killed, mostly civilians, and 251 taken hostage. Twenty of the remaining 48 hostages are believed to still be alive.
Israel’s military campaign in Gaza has killed more than 63,000 people, mostly civilians, according to Gaza health officials, and it has plunged the enclave into a humanitarian crisis and left much of it in ruins.


Israel claims it killed Hamas’ spokesman Abu Obeida

Israel claims it killed Hamas’ spokesman Abu Obeida
Updated 31 August 2025

Israel claims it killed Hamas’ spokesman Abu Obeida

Israel claims it killed Hamas’ spokesman Abu Obeida
  • A Palestinian source told Al Arabiya on Sunday that the strike hit an apartment where Abu Obeida was staying
  • There was no Hamas comment on Israeli claims about killing Abu Obeida so far

RIYADH: Israeli media claimed an airstrike has killed the spokesman of Hamas’ armed wing, Abu Obeida.
Israeli reports said Saturday’s strike targeted a key Hamas operative, with some senior Israeli officials claiming it was Abu Obeida. 
A Palestinian source told on Sunday that the strike, reportedly on Gaza City’s Rimal neighborhood, hit an apartment where Abu Obeida was staying. 
All residents of that apartment were also killed in the strike, the source said. 
The source added that members of Abu Obeida’s family and Hamas’s armed wing, Al-Qassam Brigades, “confirmed his death after examining the body.” 
There was no Hamas comment on Israeli claims about killing Abu Obeida so far. But the Palestinian militant group warned against spreading rumors regarding the killing of its members.
It said the rumors circulated by Israel were part of a “psychological war aimed at destabilizing the internal front.”
Abu Obeida has been a representative for the Qassam Brigades in media. He appeared in recordings published by Hamas’s armed wing by wrapping a red Palestinian keffiyeh around his head to hide his identity.  
He spoke in a concise and eloquent Arabic providing battleground updates since the ongoing Hamas-Israel war erupted in 2023.


Israel army strikes Hezbollah site in south Lebanon

Israel army strikes Hezbollah site in south Lebanon
Updated 31 August 2025

Israel army strikes Hezbollah site in south Lebanon

Israel army strikes Hezbollah site in south Lebanon
  • Iran-backed Hezbollah and Israel engaged in more than a year of hostilities that culminated in two months of open war last year
  • Israel has kept up its strikes on Hezbollah targets in Lebanon despite the truce and has vowed to continue them until the militant group has been disarmed

JERUSALEM: The Israeli army said it carried out a strike on a site run by Hezbollah in southern Lebanon on Sunday.

“A short while ago, the IDF (army) struck military infrastructure, including underground infrastructure, at a Hezbollah site in which military activity was identified, in the area of the Beaufort Ridge in southern Lebanon,” the military said in a statement.

“The existence of the site and the activity within it constitute a violation of the understandings between Israel and Lebanon,” it added.

After the outbreak of the war in Gaza, Iran-backed Hezbollah and Israel engaged in more than a year of hostilities that culminated in two months of open war last year.

Under a November ceasefire that sought to end the violence, Lebanon’s army has been deploying in the south and dismantling Hezbollah’s infrastructure with the support of UN peacekeepers.

Israel, however, has kept up its strikes on Hezbollah targets in Lebanon despite the truce and has vowed to continue them until the militant group has been disarmed.

Under US pressure, Beirut has ordered the Lebanese army to draw up a plan to take away Hezbollah’s weapons by the end of the year, but the group has vowed to resist the effort.


Red Cross warns against evacuation of Gaza City as Israel tightens siege

Red Cross warns against evacuation of Gaza City as Israel tightens siege
Updated 31 August 2025

Red Cross warns against evacuation of Gaza City as Israel tightens siege

Red Cross warns against evacuation of Gaza City as Israel tightens siege
  • Israel is under increasing pressure to end its offensive in Gaza where the great majority of the population has been displaced at least once and the United Nations has declared a famine
  • Gaza’s civil defense spokesman Mahmud Bassal told AFP 66 people had been killed in Israeli bombing since dawn

GAZA STRIP, Palestinian Territories: The Red Cross warned on Saturday that any Israeli attempt to evacuate Gaza City would put residents at risk, as Israel’s military tightened its siege on the area ahead of a planned offensive.
Gaza’s civil defense agency said that since dawn Israeli attacks had killed 66 people in the territory already devastated by nearly 23 months of war.
“It is impossible that a mass evacuation of Gaza City could ever be done in a way that is safe and dignified under the current conditions,” International Committee of the Red Cross President Mirjana Spoljaric said in a statement.
The dire state of shelter, health care and nutrition in Gaza meant evacuation was “not only unfeasible but incomprehensible under the present circumstances.”
Israel is under increasing pressure to end its offensive in Gaza where the great majority of the population has been displaced at least once and the United Nations has declared a famine.
But despite the calls at home and abroad for an end to the war, the Israeli army is readying itself for an operation to seize the Palestinian territory’s largest city and relocate its inhabitants.
On Saturday, at a rally in Tel Aviv demanding the negotiated release of the remaining Israeli hostages held in Gaza, captives’ families warned the impending offensive could imperil their lives.
The Israeli military has declared Gaza City a “dangerous combat zone,” without the daily pauses in fighting that have allowed limited food deliveries elsewhere.
The military did not call for the population to leave immediately, but a day earlier COGAT, the Israeli defense ministry body that oversees civil affairs in the Palestinian territories, said it was making preparations “for moving the population southward for their protection.”

Gaza’s civil defense spokesman Mahmud Bassal told AFP 66 people had been killed in Israeli bombing since dawn.
The army did not immediately respond to a request for comment on the figure.
Media restrictions in Gaza and difficulties in accessing many areas mean AFP is unable to independently verify the tolls and details provided by the civil defense agency or the Israeli military.
Bassal said 12 people were killed when an Israeli air strike hit “a number of displaced people’s tents” near a mosque in the Al-Nasr area, west of Gaza City.
The army did not immediately respond to a request for comment.
Umm Imad Kaheel, who was nearby at the time, said children were among those killed in the strike, which had “shaken the earth.”
“People were screaming and panicking, everyone running, trying to save the injured and retrieve the martyrs lying on the ground,” the 36-year-old said.
The civil defense agency said 12 people were killed by Israeli fire as they waited near food distribution centers in the north, south and center.
A journalist working for AFP on the northern edge of Gaza City reported he had been ordered to evacuate by the army, adding conditions had become increasingly difficult, with gunfire and explosions nearby.
Abu Mohammed Kishko, a resident of the city’s Zeitoun neighborhood, told AFP the bombardments the previous night had been “insane.”
“It didn’t stop for a second, and we didn’t sleep all night,” the 42-year-old said.

The government’s plans to expand the war have also drawn opposition inside Israel, where many fear they will jeopardize the lives of the remaining hostages.
The Israeli prime minister’s office said on Saturday the remains of the second of two hostages recovered from Gaza this week have been identified as belonging to the student Idan Shtivi.
The Hostages and Missing Families Forum campaign group said the return of Idan Shtivi’s body represented “the closing of a circle and fulfils the State of Israel’s fundamental obligation to its citizens.”
Einav Zangauker, mother of hostage Matan Zangauker, told the Tel Aviv rally that if Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu “chooses to occupy the Gaza Strip instead of the current outline for a deal, it will be the execution of our hostages and dear soldiers.”
Earlier in August, Hamas agreed to a framework for a truce and hostage release deal but Israel has yet to give an official response.
The Israeli army, whose troops have been conducting ground operations in Zeitoun for several days, said two of its soldiers had been wounded by an explosive device “during combat in the northern Gaza Strip.”
It also said it had “struck a key Hamas terrorist in the area of Gaza City” without elaborating on the identity of the target.
Hamas’s October 2023 attack, which triggered the war, resulted in the deaths of 1,219 people, mostly civilians, according to an AFP tally based on Israeli figures.
Of the 251 hostages seized during the attack, 47 are still being held in Gaza, around 20 of whom are believed to be alive.
Israel’s retaliatory offensive has killed at least 63,371 Palestinians, most of them civilians, according to figures from the health ministry in Hamas-run Gaza that the United Nations considers reliable.
 

 


Israel soon will halt or slow aid to northern Gaza as military offensive grows

Israel soon will halt or slow aid to northern Gaza as military offensive grows
Updated 31 August 2025

Israel soon will halt or slow aid to northern Gaza as military offensive grows

Israel soon will halt or slow aid to northern Gaza as military offensive grows
  • In recent days, Israel’s military has increased strikes on the outskirts of Gaza City, where famine was recently documented and declared by global food security experts
  • At least 63,371 Palestinians have died in Gaza during the war, said the ministry, which does not say how many are fighters or civilians but says around half have been women and children

JERUSALEM: Israel will soon halt or slow humanitarian aid into parts of northern Gaza as it expands its military offensive against Hamas, an official said Saturday, a day after Gaza City was declared a combat zone.
The decision was likely to bring more condemnation of Israel’s government as frustration grows in the country and abroad over dire conditions for both Palestinians and remaining hostages in Gaza after nearly 23 months of war.
The official, who spoke on condition of anonymity because they were not authorized to speak to the media, told The Associated Press that Israel will stop airdrops over Gaza City in the coming days and reduce the number of aid trucks arriving as it prepares to evacuate hundreds of thousands of people south.
Israel on Friday ended daytime pauses in fighting to allow aid delivery, describing Gaza City as a Hamas stronghold and alleging that a tunnel network remains in use. The United Nations and partners have said the pauses, airdrops and other recent measures fell far short of the 600 trucks of aid needed daily in Gaza.
“We left because the area became unlivable,” Fadi Al-Daour, displaced from Gaza City, said as vehicles piled high with people and belongings rolled through a shattered landscape. “No one is searching, and there are no journalists to film. There is nothing.”
Remains of another hostage are identified
Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu ‘s office announced that the remains of a hostage that Israel on Friday said had been recovered in Gaza were of Idan Shtivi. He was kidnapped from the Nova music festival in the Hamas-led attack on Oct. 7, 2023, that sparked the war.
Forty-eight hostages now remain in Gaza of the over 250 seized. Israel has believed 20 are still alive.
Their loved ones fear the expanding military offensive will put them in even more danger, and they rallied again Saturday to demand a ceasefire deal to bring everyone home.
“Netanyahu, if another living hostage comes back in a bag, it will not only be the hostages and their families who pay the price. You will bear responsibility for premeditated murder,” Zahiro Shahar Mor, nephew of hostage Avraham Munder, said in Tel Aviv.
A ‘massive population movement’ coming
In recent days, Israel’s military has increased strikes on the outskirts of Gaza City, where famine was recently documented and declared by global food security experts.
By Saturday there had been no airdrops for several days across Gaza, a break from almost daily ones. Israel’s army didn’t respond to a request for comment or say how it would provide aid to Palestinians during another major shift in Gaza’s population of over 2 million people.
“Such an evacuation would trigger a massive population movement that no area in the Gaza Strip can absorb, given the widespread destruction of civilian infrastructure and the extreme shortages of food, water, shelter and medical care,” Mirjana Spoljaric, president of the International Committee of the Red Cross, said in a statement.
It’s impossible that a mass evacuation of Gaza City can be done in a safe and dignified way, she said.
Killed while seeking food
AP video footage showed several large explosions across Gaza overnight. Israel’s military Saturday evening said it had struck a key Hamas member in the area of Gaza City, with no details.
An Israeli strike on a bakery in Gaza City’s Nasr neighborhood killed 12 people including six women and three children, the Shifa Hospital director told the AP, and a strike on the Rimal neighborhood killed seven.
Hamas in a statement called the strike on a residential building in Rimal a “brutal escalation against civilians.”
Israeli gunfire killed four people trying to get aid in central Gaza, according to health officials at Al-Awda Hospital, where the bodies were taken.
Gaza’s Health Ministry said another 10 people died as a result of starvation and malnutrition over the past 24 hours, including three children. It said at least 332 Palestinians have died from malnutrition-related causes during the war, including 124 children.
At least 63,371 Palestinians have died in Gaza during the war, said the ministry, which does not say how many are fighters or civilians but says around half have been women and children. The ministry is part of the Hamas-run government and staffed by medical professionals. The UN and independent experts consider it the most reliable source on war casualties. Israel disputes its figures but has not provided its own.

 


Hamas confirms death of its military leader Mohammed Sinwar

Hamas confirms death of its military leader Mohammed Sinwar
Updated 31 August 2025

Hamas confirms death of its military leader Mohammed Sinwar

Hamas confirms death of its military leader Mohammed Sinwar
  • Mohammad Sinwar was the younger brother of Yahya Sinwar, the Islamist faction’s chief, who co-masterminded the October 7, 2023 attack on Israel, and whom Israel had killed in combat a year later

CAIRO: The Palestinian militant group Hamas confirmed on Saturday the death of its Gaza military chief Mohammad Sinwar, a few months after Israel said it killed him in a strike in May.
Hamas did not provide details on Sinwar's death but published pictures of him along with other group leaders, describing them as "martyrs".
Mohammad Sinwar was the younger brother of Yahya Sinwar, the Islamist faction’s chief, who co-masterminded the October 7, 2023 attack on Israel, and whom Israel had killed in combat a year later.
He was elevated to the top ranks of the group after the death of the brother.
His confirmed death would leave his close associate Izz al-Din Haddad, who currently oversees operations in northern Gaza, in charge of Hamas' armed wing across the whole of the enclave.