Ƶ

Pakistan, US step up investment talks, move toward joint counterterrorism plan

Pakistan, US step up investment talks, move toward joint counterterrorism plan
Pakistan’s Federal Interior Minister Mohsin Naqvi meets US Coordinator for Counterterrorism Gregory LoGerfo (left) in Islamabad on August 15, 2025. (PID)
Short Url
Updated 15 August 2025

Pakistan, US step up investment talks, move toward joint counterterrorism plan

Pakistan, US step up investment talks, move toward joint counterterrorism plan
  • Finance minister says new US tariff deal will unlock investment in mines, minerals, IT and energy sectors
  • Interior minister hails US move to blacklist Baloch separatist groups, eyes joint counterterrorism strategy

KARACHI: Senior Pakistani and US officials on Friday discussed next steps in economic investment and the development of a joint counterterrorism strategy in meetings aimed at deepening economic and defense ties between the two countries.

Pakistan’s commerce ministry said earlier this week it had finalized a strategy to implement a recently negotiated tariff deal with the United States that Islamabad hopes will unlock US investment.

Announced last month, the agreement set a reduced tariff rate of 19 percent on Pakistani imports — the lowest in the region — and is expected to revive bilateral trade while opening the way for US firms to participate in various Pakistani economic sectors.

In talks with US Chargé d’Affaires Natalie Baker in Islamabad, Finance Minister Muhammad Aurangzeb said Pakistan’s economy had “turned a corner” after a prolonged downturn, a shift recognized by three major international rating agencies.

“The Minister emphasized that the [trade] agreement would usher in a new era of economic collaboration — particularly in energy, mines and minerals, IT, cryptocurrency and other sectors — while expanding market access, attracting investment and fostering cooperation in areas of mutual interest,” the finance ministry said in a statement released after the meeting.

“He expressed hope that the deal would lead to increased US investment in Pakistan’s infrastructure, development projects and digital and mining sectors, which were ready for tangible action and progress,” it added.

Aurangzeb thanked Washington for its continued economic and development support and recalled recent meetings in the US with senior officials to finalize the trade deal.

In a video message after last month’s announcement, he had noted Pakistan’s goal was always to move “beyond the immediate trade imperative,” calling the US-Pakistan pact “a real win-win situation” for both nations.

Pakistan, he added, had “come a long way” in its overall strategic partnership with the US.

COUNTERTERRORISM PLAN

Separately, Interior Minister Mohsin Naqvi met US Coordinator for Counterterrorism Gregory LoGerfo in Islamabad to discuss closer cooperation to fight militant violence, and to work jointly on border security and anti-narcotics efforts.

Pakistan and the US have shared a defense relationship dating back to the Cold War era, collaborating over decades on regional stability and counterinsurgency in Afghanistan.

The latest talks between Naqvi and LoGerfo came days after Washington designated the separatist Baloch Liberation Army (BLA) and its Majeed Brigade faction as “terrorist” organizations.

Both have carried out coordinated attacks in Balochistan targeting security personnel, civilians and foreign nationals working on major development projects.

“Naqvi added that counterterrorism dialogue will help in creating a joint strategy,” the interior ministry said in a statement. “He termed the US decision to designate the banned BLA and banned Majeed Brigade as Foreign terrorist organizations a commendable step, expressing hope that Pakistan-US cooperation will yield positive results in eliminating terrorism.”

Naqvi also noted that bilateral ties had improved since President Donald Trump took office, citing transparency, mutual trust and cooperation as the hallmarks of the relationship and called it an opportune time to strengthen engagement in all areas.


Pakistan beat UAE by 31 runs for second win in T20 tri-series

Pakistan beat UAE by 31 runs for second win in T20 tri-series
Updated 30 August 2025

Pakistan beat UAE by 31 runs for second win in T20 tri-series

Pakistan beat UAE by 31 runs for second win in T20 tri-series
  • Saim Ayub hit 69 and Hasan Nawaz 56 as Pakistan piled up 207 in Sharjah
  • UAE’s Asif Khan blasted 77 but fell in the last over of the 31-run defeat

SHARJAH: Saim Ayub and Hasan Nawaz struck half-centuries as Pakistan thumped the United Arab Emirates by 31 runs in Sharjah on Saturday, making it two wins from two in their T20 tri-series also featuring Afghanistan.

Opener Ayub smashed a 38-ball 69, with four sixes and seven fours, while Nawaz’s 26-ball 56 included six maximums, lifting Pakistan to 207 all out in exactly 20 overs.

Asif Khan threatened to snatch an unlikely win for UAE with a brilliant 35-ball 77 before falling in the last over.

The UAE managed 176-8 from their 20 overs.

Skipper Muhammad Waseem also hit a breezy 18-ball 33 but was run out in the sixth over.

Earlier, Pakistan’s innings was built around the excellence of Ayub and Nawaz after they won the toss and batted first.

Once Pakistan lost Sahibzada Farhan, Fakhar Zaman and skipper Salman Agha cheaply, it was left to Ayub and Hasan to provide the rescue acts.

Ayub’s fourth T20I half-century came off just 25 balls while Nawaz’s fifty was reached in 24 deliveries with a hat-trick of sixes off spinner Haider Ali.

Nawaz added 57 for the fifth wicket off just 25 balls with Mohammad Nawaz, who added a 15-ball 25.

Faheem Ashraf chipped in with 16 as Pakistan clubbed 64 in the last five overs.

Junaid Siddique and Saghir Khan grabbed three wickets apiece, but were both expensive.

Afghanistan, who lost to Pakistan by 39 runs on Friday, face the UAE in the next match on Monday.


Pakistan secures four-year US extension for seafood exports under marine protection standards

Pakistan secures four-year US extension for seafood exports under marine protection standards
Updated 30 August 2025

Pakistan secures four-year US extension for seafood exports under marine protection standards

Pakistan secures four-year US extension for seafood exports under marine protection standards
  • US agency says Pakistani fisheries meet standards to protect marine mammals during fishing
  • Extension seen boosting seafood earnings, with exports projected near $600 million next year

ISLAMABAD: Pakistan has secured authorization to continue seafood exports to the United States for another four years, its maritime affairs minister said on Saturday, a decision expected to protect a key foreign exchange stream and bolster the country’s standing in the global seafood market.

The approval, granted by the US National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA), classified Pakistani fisheries as “comparable” under the Marine Mammal Protection Act (MMPA). Officials said the recognition signals international acceptance of

Pakistan’s compliance with sustainability standards and comes as the country seeks to expand exports to the US, Europe and the Gulf.

“This classification confirms that Pakistan’s fisheries meet US standards for protecting marine mammals from incidental mortality and serious injury during fishing operations,” Maritime Affairs Minister Muhammad Junaid Anwar Chaudhry said in a statement.

The MMPA requires fisheries exporting to the US to minimize marine mammal bycatch, adopt conservation practices and operate sustainably, measures that also support healthier marine ecosystems.

Pakistan submitted a compliance dossier to NOAA earlier this year, which the minister described as a “critical milestone.”

Pakistani seafood currently earns about $2 per kilogram in the global market. Officials project that with the endorsement of compliance, prices could rise and new markets could open.

In fiscal year 2024–25, Pakistan exported 242,484 metric tons of fish and related products worth $489.2 million. The same volume next year could generate nearly $600 million if higher prices are achieved.

Chaudhry said the extension was vital to safeguard Pakistan’s multi-million-dollar seafood exports to the US while enhancing its reputation for sustainable fisheries management.

He cautioned, however, that continuous strengthening of protective measures for marine mammal populations, as recommended by NOAA, would be necessary to ensure long-term biodiversity and maintain access to the US market.


Urban flooding hits Lahore and Peshawar as Pakistan reels from fresh monsoon spell

Urban flooding hits Lahore and Peshawar as Pakistan reels from fresh monsoon spell
Updated 30 August 2025

Urban flooding hits Lahore and Peshawar as Pakistan reels from fresh monsoon spell

Urban flooding hits Lahore and Peshawar as Pakistan reels from fresh monsoon spell
  • A child was killed in a roof collapse in Peshawar as emergency service evacuates nearly 300 people
  • Torrential downpour floods Lahore hospital as videos of river inundating housing society circulate

ISLAMABAD: Urban flooding paralyzed parts of Peshawar and Lahore on Saturday as a new spell of monsoon rains battered Pakistan, while the country’s eastern Punjab province continued to grapple with high floods in three raging rivers flowing downstream toward southern Sindh, officials said.

The deluge began in Punjab on Monday after India released water into the Chenab, Ravi and Sutlej rivers, destroying farmlands, sweeping away herds and affecting more than a million people. The three-river situation emerged as Pakistan was still reeling from heavy rains and cloudbursts since late June that have killed about 830 people nationwide. More than half of these fatalities occurred after Aug. 15, when monsoon rains in the north and northwest triggered hill torrents and flash floods that destroyed houses and swept people away.

In Peshawar, officials said heavy overnight rains triggered flooding in low-lying neighborhoods on Friday, prompting large-scale relief operations, with Rescue 1122 saying about 300 people were evacuated with the help of 280 personnel, rubber boats, water rescue vans and ambulances.

“‎A comprehensive relief operation is underway across rain-impacted areas of the city,” the emergency service spokesperson Bilal Ahmad Faizi said, adding that efforts were concentrated in Nasir Bagh Road, Warsak Road and Budhni.

Khyber Pakhtunkhwa Chief Minister Ali Amin Gandapur ordered senior officials of the district administration, PDMA and Rescue 1122 to remain in affected areas until operations end.

“Arrangements should be made to provide food and temporary shelter for residents of households affected by urban flooding,” a statement released by his office quoted him as saying.

The chief minister directed the district administration and rescue agencies to remain on constant alert in view of further urban flooding.

The statement also mentioned that one child was killed in Peshawar when the roof of a house collapsed, while three others were injured and taken to hospital.

LAHORE INUNDATED

Meanwhile in Lahore, torrential rains flooded major roads in places like Johar Town, Wapda Town and Canal Road, causing traffic paralysis and widespread power outages.

Local media showed water inundating wards and emergency units at Jinnah Hospital, while images of the Ravi River overflowing into a private housing society continued to circulate on social media.

The Pakistani authorities had already warned of urban flooding in Lahore and other urban centers in the region a day earlier.

Some of the residents of the private housing scheme inundated by the river told AFP they were caught off guard.

“We don’t know, water entered our home suddenly, we had no idea,” Rizwana, a housewife who did not share her second name, said. “There were announcements to leave the house. But where do we go? We live in a rented house.”

She said she had stayed back while the neighborhood became empty.

Another resident, Sikandar Mughal, said he initially stayed behind when neighbors evacuated, hoping the water would recede.

“But when the water level reached the garage of my house, I kickstarted my motorcycle and ran for my life,” he added. “I did not even get a chance to get my clothes or helmet.”

Pakistani authorities say the monsoon season is expected to continue until Sept. 10 after which they plan to assess the damages and formulate a comprehensive strategy to deal with such environmental catastrophes amid the country’s rapidly growing climate vulnerabilities.


Pakistan interior minister briefs Saudi envoy on crackdown against ‘begging mafia’ abroad

Pakistan interior minister briefs Saudi envoy on crackdown against ‘begging mafia’ abroad
Updated 30 August 2025

Pakistan interior minister briefs Saudi envoy on crackdown against ‘begging mafia’ abroad

Pakistan interior minister briefs Saudi envoy on crackdown against ‘begging mafia’ abroad
  • Interior minister says Pakistan has adopted a ‘zero-tolerance policy’ toward such individuals
  • Last year, the country added over 4,000 individuals accused of begging abroad to a no-fly list

ISLAMABAD: Pakistan’s Interior Minister Mohsin Naqvi said on Saturday a sweeping crackdown was underway against a “beggar mafia” accused of exploiting visas to solicit money in Ƶ, a practice officials warn is damaging the country’s image and could affect genuine visa-seekers, including religious pilgrims.

The practice has drawn complaints from Riyadh in the past, prompting the administration in Islamabad to direct the Federal Investigation Agency (FIA) to take measures to curb the trend.

Last year, Pakistan said it had added more than 4,000 individuals accused of abusing visas for begging to a no-fly list.

“‎Mohsin Naqvi stated that a comprehensive crackdown is being carried out against the mafia involved in begging in Ƶ,” said a statement released after his meeting with the Saudi envoy, Nawaf bin Said Al-Malki. “A zero-tolerance policy has been adopted against the beggar mafia.”

During his visit to the Saudi embassy in Islamabad, the minister also praised Riyadh’s role in supporting Pakistan, including during the military standoff with India in May.

“Ƶ has always stood firmly by Pakistan both in times of war or peace, and the relations between Pakistan and Ƶ have withstood every test,” he said.

The statement added the Saudi ambassador also described Pakistan as a “brotherly and friendly country,” adding that Riyadh attached great importance to the relationship.

Pakistanis make up the second-largest expatriate community in Ƶ, with more than 2.5 million living and working there.

The Kingdom is the top source of remittances for the South Asian nation, whose struggling economy relies heavily on foreign inflows.


Policeman, three militants killed in attack in northwest Pakistan

Policeman, three militants killed in attack in northwest Pakistan
Updated 30 August 2025

Policeman, three militants killed in attack in northwest Pakistan

Policeman, three militants killed in attack in northwest Pakistan
  • Militants ambushed police vehicle in Kohat district, killing officer and injuring two constables
  • No group has claimed responsibility, though TTP has frequently targeted the police in KP

ISLAMABAD: A policeman and three militants were killed in an attack and subsequent search operation in Pakistan’s restive northwestern Khyber Pakhtunkhwa (KP) province, authorities said on Saturday.

Pakistan has struggled to contain surging militancy in KP since a fragile truce between the Pakistani Taliban — also known as the Tehreek-e-Taliban Pakistan (TTP) — and the state broke down in November 2022.

The latest incident occurred in a settlement in the Kohat district of the province when militants attacked a police vehicle, according to District Police Officer (DPO) Dr. Zahidullah.

“In Darmalak, within the jurisdiction of Lachi Police Station, terrorists attacked a police mobile, resulting in the martyrdom of Assistant Sub-Inspector Ashfaq while two police constables were injured,” he told Arab News.

He added that a heavy contingent of police was deployed in the area, and a joint search operation was launched by the district police, Counter Terrorism Department (CTD) and the elite police force.

“During the search operation in difficult mountainous terrain, three militants were killed in an exchange of fire with police,” he said.

The DPO said the identities of the slain militants were being verified, and the search operation was continuing.

No group has claimed responsibility for the attack. However, TTP militants have frequently targeted security forces, police convoys and check-posts, as well as carried out targeted killings and kidnappings of law enforcement and government officials in recent months.

Last week, the CTD in KP killed nine militants during a counterterrorism operation.

Surging militant attacks in recent years have become a major challenge for Islamabad which has repeatedly blamed Afghanistan for sheltering and supporting militant groups who launch crossborder attacks.

Afghan officials deny the charge, saying Pakistan’s security problems are its internal matter.

Pakistan was recognized as the world’s second-most affected country by militant violence in 2024, with deaths rising 45 percent to 1,081, according to the Global Terrorism Index 2025.