Ƶ

’We’ll send him back’: Bayern confirm collapse of Jackson deal

’We’ll send him back’: Bayern confirm collapse of Jackson deal
Bayern Munich on Saturday evening confirmed that a proposed loan deal for Chelsea striker Nicolas Jackson had collapsed after the English club called off the deal. (X/@FabrizioRomano)
Short Url
Updated 2 min 3 sec ago

’We’ll send him back’: Bayern confirm collapse of Jackson deal

’We’ll send him back’: Bayern confirm collapse of Jackson deal
  • Jackson arrived in Munich on Saturday set to sign a season-long loan
  • Bayern sporting director Max Eberl confirmed to reporters the deal was off

AUGSBURG, Germany: Bayern Munich on Saturday evening confirmed that a proposed loan deal for Chelsea striker Nicolas Jackson had collapsed after the English club called off the deal.

Jackson arrived in Munich on Saturday set to sign a season-long loan with the German champions, who had an option to buy the player.

But an injury to Chelsea forward Liam Delap in Saturday’s 2-0 win over Fulham meant the London club recalled the Senegal striker from Germany before he put pen to paper.

Speaking after Saturday’s 3-2 win at Augsburg, Bayern sporting director Max Eberl confirmed to reporters the deal was off.

“Chelsea informed us that they would like the player back after we agreed yesterday.

“The situation now is that the lad is here in Munich, but we are sending him back.”

Jackson’s agent had earlier insisted on social media that his player was not returning to Chelsea.

“We’re not going back. The plane doesn’t go backwards: Munich.”

The German champions were looking for additional support up front for striker Harry Kane, having lost forward Kingsley Coman, Leroy Sane, Thomas Mueller and Mathys Tel in the summer.

Chelsea manager Enzo Maresca suggested he expected Delap to miss six to eight weeks.

“When you have two strikers, it’s enough. When one of them is injured for different weeks, probably it’s not enough,” Marseca said.

The transfer window closes on Monday, September 1.


Saudi-backed Newcastle sign Woltemade in club record deal

Saudi-backed Newcastle sign Woltemade in club record deal
Updated 58 min 12 sec ago

Saudi-backed Newcastle sign Woltemade in club record deal

Saudi-backed Newcastle sign Woltemade in club record deal
  • British media reports the agreement is worth $93.21 million

LONDON: The Saudi-backed Newcastle United have signed German forward Nick Woltemade from Stuttgart in a club-record deal, the Premier League club said on Saturday.

Financial details were not revealed but British media reported that the deal was worth £69 million( $93.21 million).

The 23-year-old’s deal eclipses the £63 million Newcastle paid for Sweden striker Alexander Isak three years ago when he became the club’s most expensive player.

Woltemade came through Werder Bremen’s academy and became their youngest Bundesliga debutant in 2020 at the age of 17. He joined Stuttgart last year and scored 17 goals in 33 appearances across all competitions

With Isak unavailable as he pushes for a move to Liverpool, Woltemade may have to adapt quickly and make an impact.

“We are delighted to get Nick’s signing over the line so quickly. He fits the profile for exactly what we have been looking for to add to our attacking options,” manager Eddie Howe said.

“He’s strong in a lot of areas — he has great technical ability and has proven himself to be a real threat in one of Europe’s top leagues — but he’s also still at an age where he has plenty of room to develop and grow here.”

Capped twice by Germany, the 1.98-meter forward has been called up for the World Cup qualifiers against Slovakia and Northern Ireland in September.

“It’s a big step in my life to leave Germany but everybody has welcomed me so well and it already feels like family,” Woltemade said.

“I have a really good feeling from speaking to the head coach that this is the right place for me to find my best level ... From the first contact, I felt like the club really wanted me and had big plans for me.”


Pakistan beat UAE by 31 runs for second win in T20 tri-series

Pakistan beat UAE by 31 runs for second win in T20 tri-series
Updated 30 August 2025

Pakistan beat UAE by 31 runs for second win in T20 tri-series

Pakistan beat UAE by 31 runs for second win in T20 tri-series
  • Saim Ayub hit 69 and Hasan Nawaz 56 as Pakistan piled up 207 in Sharjah
  • UAE’s Asif Khan blasted 77 but fell in the last over of the 31-run defeat

SHARJAH: Saim Ayub and Hasan Nawaz struck half-centuries as Pakistan thumped the United Arab Emirates by 31 runs in Sharjah on Saturday, making it two wins from two in their T20 tri-series also featuring Afghanistan.

Opener Ayub smashed a 38-ball 69, with four sixes and seven fours, while Nawaz’s 26-ball 56 included six maximums, lifting Pakistan to 207 all out in exactly 20 overs.

Asif Khan threatened to snatch an unlikely win for UAE with a brilliant 35-ball 77 before falling in the last over.

The UAE managed 176-8 from their 20 overs.

Skipper Muhammad Waseem also hit a breezy 18-ball 33 but was run out in the sixth over.

Earlier, Pakistan’s innings was built around the excellence of Ayub and Nawaz after they won the toss and batted first.

Once Pakistan lost Sahibzada Farhan, Fakhar Zaman and skipper Salman Agha cheaply, it was left to Ayub and Hasan to provide the rescue acts.

Ayub’s fourth T20I half-century came off just 25 balls while Nawaz’s fifty was reached in 24 deliveries with a hat-trick of sixes off spinner Haider Ali.

Nawaz added 57 for the fifth wicket off just 25 balls with Mohammad Nawaz, who added a 15-ball 25.

Faheem Ashraf chipped in with 16 as Pakistan clubbed 64 in the last five overs.

Junaid Siddique and Saghir Khan grabbed three wickets apiece, but were both expensive.

Afghanistan, who lost to Pakistan by 39 runs on Friday, face the UAE in the next match on Monday.


Pakistan beat UAE to notch second win in T20 tri-series

Pakistan beat UAE to notch second win in T20 tri-series
Updated 30 August 2025

Pakistan beat UAE to notch second win in T20 tri-series

Pakistan beat UAE to notch second win in T20 tri-series
  • Opener Ayub smashed a 38-ball 69, with four sixes and seven fours
  • The UAE managed 176-8 from their 20 overs

SHARJAH: Saim Ayub and Hasan Nawaz struck half-centuries as Pakistan thumped the United Arab Emirates by 31 runs in Sharjah on Saturday, making it two wins from two in their T20 tri-series also featuring Afghanistan.

Opener Ayub smashed a 38-ball 69, with four sixes and seven fours, while Nawaz’s 26-ball 56 included six maximums, lifting Pakistan to 207 all out in exactly 20 overs.

Asif Khan threatened to snatch an unlikely win for UAE with a brilliant 35-ball 77 before falling in the last over.

The UAE managed 176-8 from their 20 overs.

Skipper Muhammad Waseem also hit a breezy 18-ball 33 but was run out in the sixth over.

Earlier, Pakistan’s innings was built around the excellence of Ayub and Nawaz after they won the toss and batted first.

Once Pakistan lost Sahibzada Farhan, Fakhar Zaman and skipper Salman Agha cheaply, it was left to Ayub and Hasan to provide the rescue acts.

Ayub’s fourth T20I half-century came off just 25 balls while Nawaz’s fifty was reached in 24 deliveries with a hat-trick of sixes off spinner Haider Ali.

Nawaz added 57 for the fifth wicket off just 25 balls with Mohammad Nawaz, who added a 15-ball 25.

Faheem Ashraf chipped in with 16 as Pakistan clubbed 64 in the last five overs.

Junaid Siddique and Saghir Khan grabbed three wickets apiece, but were both expensive.

Afghanistan, who lost to Pakistan by 39 runs on Friday, face the UAE in the next match on Monday.


Bayern concede twice again but hold on for 3-2 win at Augsburg

Bayern concede twice again but hold on for 3-2 win at Augsburg
Updated 30 August 2025

Bayern concede twice again but hold on for 3-2 win at Augsburg

Bayern concede twice again but hold on for 3-2 win at Augsburg
  • Bayern have now earned two wins from two league matches with nine goals scored
  • Augsburg were not done and pulled a goal back in the 53rd through Kristijan Jakic

AUGSBURG, Germany: Bayern Munich almost imploded in their 3-2 Bundesliga victory at Augsburg on Saturday, conceding two goals for the second consecutive match after going 3-0 up soon after the break.

Bayern’s back line looked vulnerable, just as it had in Wednesday’s German Cup first-round win over third-tier Wehen Wiesbaden in which they conceded two goals and needed a stoppage-time winner to advance.

Bayern, who have led the Bundesliga since the third matchday last season, have now earned two wins from two league matches with nine goals scored.

They were in command from the start but had to wait until the 28th minute to take the lead with Serge Gnabry’s powerful header from a Harry Kane cross.

They scored again on the stroke of halftime through Luis Diaz’ second league goal of the season.

Bayern looked to have put the game to bed when France international Michael Olize made it 3-0 three minutes after the restart.

But Augsburg were not done and pulled a goal back in the 53rd through Kristijan Jakic before Mert Komur struck again 14 minutes from time.

Augsburg’s Robin Fellhauer was taken off on a stretcher in stoppage time after clashing with Bayern’s Sacha Boey.


Fernandes lifts Man Utd gloom, Frank suffers first league loss with Spurs

Fernandes lifts Man Utd gloom, Frank suffers first league loss with Spurs
Updated 30 August 2025

Fernandes lifts Man Utd gloom, Frank suffers first league loss with Spurs

Fernandes lifts Man Utd gloom, Frank suffers first league loss with Spurs
  • United were on the brink of another damaging result after promoted Burnley twice came from behind at Old Trafford
  • “I was frustrated like any Man United fan, we had chances to score more goals. But today we were the better team,” Amorim said

LONDON: Bruno Fernandes eased the pressure on Manchester United boss Ruben Amorim as his last-gasp penalty sealed a 3-2 win over Burnley, while Thomas Frank suffered his first Premier League defeat as Tottenham manager to Bournemouth on Saturday.

Just days after a humiliating League Cup second-round loss at fourth-tier Grimsby, United were on the brink of another damaging result after promoted Burnley twice came from behind at Old Trafford.

Amorim had admitted after the Grimsby debacle that he sometimes thinks about quitting and often “hates” his players.

His mood would have been even darker before United captain Fernandes came to the rescue seven minutes into stoppage time.

United’s first win in three league games this season will give Amorim some much-needed respite heading into the international break, although questions will still be asked of the Portuguese coach after his side’s latest erratic display.

Luck was on United’s side when they took the lead in the 26th minute.

Casemiro’s header thumped off the crossbar and hit Burnley captain Josh Cullen on the back, ricocheting over the line before Martin Dubravka could claw it away.

Lyle Foster hauled Burnley level with a 55th-minute finish from Jacob Bruun Larsen’s cross.

Bryan Mbeumo put United back in the lead just 15 seconds later when he slammed in Diogo Dalot’s cutback for his first league goal since his summer move from Brentford.

United’s frailties were punished again as Jaidon Anthony equalized in the 66th minute.

But in the final moments Anthony pulled Amad Diallo, with a lengthy VAR check concluding the foul continued inside the area, conceding a controversial penalty that Fernandes gratefully tucked away to Amorim’s immense relief.

“I was frustrated like any Man United fan, we had chances to score more goals. But today we were the better team,” Amorim said.

Tottenham were beaten 1-0 by Bournemouth to end Frank’s strong start since he arrived from Brentford to replace the sacked Ange Postecoglou in the close-season.

Spurs had won their first two league games under the Dane without conceding a goal, including a 2-0 win at Manchester City last weekend.

But Evanilson struck in the fifth minute with a deflected shot as Bournemouth left north London with their second win this term.

Jack Grealish starred as Everton beat Wolves 3-2 at Molineux.

Beto headed Everton in front from Grealish’s flick after seven minutes before Wolves forward Hwang Hee-chan levelled in the 21st minute.

Iliman Ndiaye restored Everton’s advantage in the 33rd minute, applying the finishing touch to a flowing move involving on-loan Manchester City winger Grealish and Kiernan Dewsbury-Hall.

Dewsbury-Hall bagged Everton’s third, blasting home from Grealish’s pass in the 55th minute before Rodrigo Gomes reduced the deficit in the 79th minute.

Newcastle again badly missed the presence of a striker in their second 0-0 of the season away to Leeds.

New club record signing Nick Woltemade watched on from the stands after joining from Stuttgart on Saturday, which could see the wantaway Alexander Isak get his wish of a move to Liverpool.

Newcastle remain without a win this season.

Sunderland staged an impressive fightback to beat Brentford 2-1 at the Stadium of Light thanks to Wilson Isidor’s stoppage time header.