Ƶ

Pakistan approves move to finalize deal with UAE on Islamabad airport operations

Pakistan approves move to finalize deal with UAE on Islamabad airport operations
A general view of the newly-built Islamabad International Airport building during a media tour ahead of its official opening, Pakistan April 18, 2018. (Reuters/File)
Short Url
Updated 39 min 4 sec ago

Pakistan approves move to finalize deal with UAE on Islamabad airport operations

Pakistan approves move to finalize deal with UAE on Islamabad airport operations
  • Move comes as Pakistan seeks foreign investment to revive struggling aviation sector
  • Islamabad airport, opened in 2018, has faced criticism over delays and poor facilities

ISLAMABAD: Pakistan’s cabinet committee has approved a move to finalize arrangements with the United Arab Emirates (UAE) for the transfer of operations of Islamabad International Airport, Deputy Prime Minister Ishaq Dar said on Thursday.

The agreement, to be concluded under a government-to-government (G2G) model, comes as Pakistan seeks to privatize or outsource management of several state-run enterprises under conditions agreed with the International Monetary Fund (IMF) as part of a $7 billion bailout approved in September last year. 

The national flag carrier, Pakistan International Airlines (PIA), and state-owned electricity generation and distribution companies, are already on the government’s privatization list, while authorities have been looking for international partners to modernize airports and improve services.

Officials hope foreign partners will bring operational expertise, enhance passenger experience, and restore confidence in the aviation sector.

“Today [Aug. 28] we decided to finalize arrangements with the UAE government through a G2G framework agreement for the transfer of operations of Islamabad International Airport,” Deputy Prime Minister and Foreign Minister Ishaq Dar said in a statement after chairing a meeting of the Cabinet Committee on Inter-Governmental Commercial Transactions.

The Negotiation Committee formed to work out details will be headed by the prime minister’s adviser on privatization and will include representatives from the ministries of defense, finance, law and justice, and privatization, according to the statement.

Islamabad International Airport, inaugurated in 2018 at a cost of over $1 billion, has faced criticism over construction delays, poor facilities, and operational inefficiencies. The airport was built to replace the old Benazir Bhutto International Airport, which had been overwhelmed by passenger traffic.

The handover is part of a broader government drive to secure foreign investment in critical infrastructure. Earlier this year, the government said it was considering offering management contracts for airports in Karachi and Lahore as well, though no final arrangements have been announced.

Pakistan’s aviation sector has been under strain since the 2020 European Union ban on PIA flights following a pilot licensing scandal, while the Civil Aviation Authority has struggled with safety oversight and revenue shortfalls. 

The EU ban has since been lifted. 


Pakistan evacuates 435,000 as monsoon floods kill 20 in Punjab

Pakistan evacuates 435,000 as monsoon floods kill 20 in Punjab
Updated 34 sec ago

Pakistan evacuates 435,000 as monsoon floods kill 20 in Punjab

Pakistan evacuates 435,000 as monsoon floods kill 20 in Punjab
  • 1,769 villages inundated, around 1.45 million people affected in Pakistan’s most populous province
  • Ravi, Chenab and Sutlej rivers in simultaneous high flood for first time in nearly four decades

ISLAMABAD: Twenty people have died in Pakistan’s Punjab this week and more than 435,000 residents have been evacuated as record monsoon floods continue to sweep across the country’s most populous province, a top disaster agency official said on Friday. 

The flood emergency comes at the height of the monsoon season, when rivers in South Asia routinely swell but in recent years have become more destructive due to climate change. Punjab, which accounts for more than half of Pakistan’s 240 million people and is considered the country’s breadbasket, has been among the worst hit this week. Officials said the floods were worsened by both torrential rains and excess water released from upstream dams in India.

According to the Provincial Disaster Management Authority (PDMA), at least 1,769 villages are inundated, affecting some 1.45 million people. Nationwide, Pakistan’s monsoon death toll since June has climbed past 820.

Speaking to reporters on Friday morning, PDMA Director General Irfan Ali Kathia said water levels in Lahore, the provincial capital, had steadied and begun to recede after reaching levels unseen since 1988.

“By the grace of Allah, all destruction was avoided due to timely response and public cooperation,” he said, adding that rescue calls in the city had now tapered off.

Kathia said a powerful surge of around 217,000 cusecs — cubic feet per second, the standard unit used to measure river discharge — was moving downstream on the Ravi River. At Balloki Barrage, flows have already reached close to 147,000 cusecs and are still rising, with the tributary Nala Deg expected to add another 10,000–20,000 cusecs.

To protect populations, authorities have prepared a controlled breach at Rewas Bridge near Jhang, which would divert water away from the city at the cost of inundating farmland and smaller settlements. At Chiniot Bridge, flows have reached around 830,000 cusecs, with further increases possible.

It is also the first time in nearly four decades that the Ravi, Sutlej and Chenab rivers have all been in simultaneous high flood, forcing rescue workers to intensify operations across multiple districts. The combined population of Jhang and Chiniot, now under direct threat, is about 4.6 million people.

Kathia said 365 relief camps have been established in public buildings, though only 4,000–4,500 people had moved in so far. Authorities have also evacuated 301,174 animals and ordered uninterrupted fodder and wheat supplies. Families of those killed are being compensated with Rs1 million ($3,570) each.

Punjab Chief Secretary Zahid Akhtar Zaman said tent villages had been established, mobile “Clinics on Wheels” dispatched, and medical camps stocked with essential drugs, including anti-snakebite vaccines. Schools in flood-hit districts may be closed for a week, while the livestock department has been tasked with supplying feed and vaccines for animals.

“All relief and rescue demands are being met on the instructions of the chief minister,” Zaman said.

Flows on the Sutlej River remain elevated, with 261,000 cusecs at Ganda Singh Wala for the fourth straight day, raising levels downstream in Okara, Pakpattan and Bahawalnagar to between 100,000–150,000 cusecs. 

Kathia said the surges are expected to enter Sindh’s river system in the coming days and authorities there have been placed on alert.

Pakistan’s National Disaster Management Authority (NDMA) has already warned that rising water levels in Chenab, Ravi and Sutlej rivers were carrying exceptionally high flows and likely to course downstream into Sindh.

The Indus River passes through most of Sindh’s districts, leaving them vulnerable to floods when upstream rivers swell. 

Pakistan’s 2022 monsoon floods, the worst in its history, submerged a third of the country, killed more than 1,700 people and displaced 33 million. Sindh bore the brunt of the calamity with 1,093 deaths, 1.8 million homes destroyed and the loss of 4.4 million acres of crops. 

Over a decade earlier in 2011, more than 430 people were killed as over 17 districts were flooded with water. A year before that in 2010, large areas of Pakistan and Sindh were inundated by “super-floods,” resulting in the displacement of millions.


Pakistan plans to lay three new submarine Internet cables this year

Pakistan plans to lay three new submarine Internet cables this year
Updated 1 min 28 sec ago

Pakistan plans to lay three new submarine Internet cables this year

Pakistan plans to lay three new submarine Internet cables this year
  • Project aims to boost speed, reliability and support rollout of 5G technology
  • Pakistan’s 150 million Internet users face regular outages and shutdowns

ISLAMABAD: Pakistan will lay three new submarine Internet cables this year in a bid to transform digital connectivity, expand bandwidth capacity and support the rollout of 5G services, state broadcaster Radio Pakistan reported this week. 

Officials say the addition of new submarine cables will expand bandwidth, improve reliability and strengthen Pakistan’s ability to integrate with global data flows. The government also hopes the upgrade will accelerate the rollout of 5G services and attract investment in digital industries ranging from e-commerce to financial technology.

“This initiative will not only boost Internet speed but also ensure reliability, reduce service outages, and unlock broader economic potential,” Federal Minister for Information Technology Shaza Fatima Khawaja was quoted by Radio Pakistan as saying.

The new cables are expected to reduce dependence on older, outage-prone systems such as AAE-1 and SMW-4 and position Pakistan more strongly in global digital networks, according to the broadcaster.

Pakistan has over 150 million Internet subscribers, most of them mobile broadband users, making it one of the largest online markets in the world.

But connectivity remains inconsistent. The country has faced repeated cable faults that disrupt bandwidth nationwide, while limited fiber penetration slows the growth of digital services.

Civil society groups also point out that frequent government-ordered Internet shutdowns, often imposed during protests or security operations, have undermined confidence in the digital economy. Rights activists say such disruptions cost billions of rupees in lost productivity and erode freedom of expression online. 

The government denies it uses Internet shutdowns as a tool or censorship.


Pakistan, Afghanistan, UAE to play T20I tri-series from today

Pakistan, Afghanistan, UAE to play T20I tri-series from today
Updated 33 min 41 sec ago

Pakistan, Afghanistan, UAE to play T20I tri-series from today

Pakistan, Afghanistan, UAE to play T20I tri-series from today
  • Pakistan, Afghanistan will play tri-series tournament from Aug. 29 to Sept. 7
  • Tournament to help teams prepare for Asian Cricket Council’s T20 Asia Cup

ISLAMABAD: Pakistan, Afghanistan and the United Arab Emirates will participate in a tri-series of Twenty20 international matches, starting today, Friday, to tune up for next month’s Asia Cup followed by the World Cup next year.

The T20I tournament will serve as a launching pad for the teams to prepare for the Asian Cricket Council’s T20 Asia Cup, scheduled to take place in the UAE from September 9 to 28, it added.

India and Sri Lanka will co-host the Twenty20 World Cup in February-March next year.

“The tri-series will feature teams from Pakistan, Afghanistan and the UAE from 29 August to 7 September at the Sharjah Cricket Stadium,” the Pakistan Cricket Board (PCB) said.

The opening match of the tri-series tournament will be played between Afghanistan and Pakistan on August 29.

Each team will play the others twice, giving all sides at least four matches before the top two teams qualify for the final, scheduled on September 7.

Tournament schedule (all matches at Sharjah Cricket Stadium):

29 August — Afghanistan v Pakistan
30 August — UAE v Pakistan
1 September — UAE v Afghanistan
2 September — Pakistan v Afghanistan
4 September — Pakistan v UAE
5 September — Afghanistan v UAE
7 September — Final
 


Pakistan finalizing five-year textiles and industrial policies to boost exports — minister

Pakistan finalizing five-year textiles and industrial policies to boost exports — minister
Updated 49 min 34 sec ago

Pakistan finalizing five-year textiles and industrial policies to boost exports — minister

Pakistan finalizing five-year textiles and industrial policies to boost exports — minister
  • Textile sector makes up over half of Pakistan’s exports but faces high costs, outdated infrastructure, policy uncertainty
  • Exporters warn new facilitation scheme amendments could disrupt cotton supply chains, risking delays, supply shocks

ISLAMABAD: Pakistan is finalizing a five-year Textiles and Apparel Policy as well as a National Industrial Policy aimed at making industry regionally competitive, removing trade barriers and ensuring long-term export growth, Commerce Minister Jam Kamal Khan said on Friday.

The textile and apparel sector is Pakistan’s largest export earner, accounting for more than half of the country’s total exports, contributing around 8.5 percent of GDP and employing nearly 40 percent of the industrial labor force. But high energy costs, outdated infrastructure and policy uncertainty have slowed growth and left the country trailing regional peers such as Bangladesh.

“Pakistan must rely on export growth,” Khan said in remarks released by the commerce ministry after a meeting with industry representatives, including the All Pakistan Textile Mills Association (APTMA), where he discussed the new textile policy. 

“The government is committed to ensure all decisions are taken in consultation with stakeholders. For the first time, the government and industry are aligned in their determination to revive and enhance momentum of increasing exports.”

He added: “We will announce permanent and predictable policies to promote exports.”

Khan said the government would also analyze regional competitors’ policies, citing his recent visit to Dhaka where he observed Bangladesh’s “remarkable success in industrial development and exports of ready-made garments.” 

Bangladesh’s ready-made garment sector now generates about $50 billion annually and accounts for nearly 80 percent of its total exports, a scale Pakistan has struggled to match.

Prime Minister’s Special Assistant on Industries and Production Haroon Akhtar Khan said the new industrial policy would extend beyond a few sectors to cover the broader industrial landscape, including energy, tariffs and taxation, financing and economic zones. 

“The policy will also include facilitation for Greenfield projects, land-lease models under Public-Private Partnership, and a one-window facility for investor facilitation,” he said, adding that the initiative would “inject new vigor into industrial development” under Prime Minister Shehbaz Sharif’s vision.

APTMA representatives urged the government to remove structural inefficiencies and provide a more enabling environment to improve competitiveness in global markets.

Separately this week, the Pakistan Textile Council (PTC) raised concerns over recent amendments to the Export Facilitation Scheme that removed essential raw materials such as cotton, cotton yarn and grey cloth without specifying tariff codes. 

PTC Chairman Fawad Anwar said the ambiguity was causing delays and inconsistent implementation, risking disruption to supply chains. 

“This ambiguity is already causing delays, inconsistent implementation, and risks of disruption in the supply chain, which could harm Pakistan’s largest foreign exchange–earning sector, the textile industry,” he warned.


Two Pakistani security officials killed in overnight attack in Gilgit-Baltistan

Two Pakistani security officials killed in overnight attack in Gilgit-Baltistan
Updated 29 August 2025

Two Pakistani security officials killed in overnight attack in Gilgit-Baltistan

Two Pakistani security officials killed in overnight attack in Gilgit-Baltistan
  • Gunmen opened fire on GB Scouts’ check post in Chilas, killing two and injuring two others
  • Diamer district has seen repeated militant attacks, including December 2023 bus shooting that killed nine

KHAPLU, Pakistan: Gunmen attacked a security check post in Pakistan’s northern Gilgit-Baltistan region overnight, killing two paramilitary officials and injuring two others, police said on Friday.

The violence is the latest in an area where Chinese workers are helping to build a multibillion-dollar dam.

The attackers struck between midnight and 1 a.m. in the Hudor area of Chilas, targeting personnel of the Gilgit-Baltistan (GB) Scouts, a paramilitary force that also provides protection to Chinese engineers and officials at the nearby Diamer-Bhasha Dam site.

“Miscreant elements attacked a security check post of GB Scouts in Hudor area of Chilas. Two security officials were killed and one was injured in the attack,” Abdul Hameed, the district police officer (DPO), told Arab News.

“The attack was carried out between 12 to 1 am. No organization has claimed responsibility so far.”

The GB Scouts shifted the bodies and wounded to a local hospital, Hameed said, adding that a search operation was underway to track the perpetrators.

The Hudor area has witnessed repeated violence. In December 2023, gunmen opened fire on a passenger bus traveling through the Diamer district, killing at least nine people. 

Authorities at the time blamed militant elements operating in the mountainous region, which borders Pakistan’s Khyber Pakhtunkhwa province.

Militant groups have sporadically targeted security forces, infrastructure projects, and civilians in Gilgit-Baltistan, though attacks remain less frequent than in Pakistan’s northwestern tribal belt or southwestern Balochistan. 

The GB region is home to the strategic China-backed Diamer-Bhasha Dam, part of Pakistan’s efforts to expand hydropower and water storage capacity.

No group has yet claimed responsibility for Friday’s assault.