Ƶ

Karim Benzema confident Al-Ittihad will hit even greater heights as 2025-26 Roshn Saudi League season gets underway

Karim Benzema is confidnt will hit greater heights in 2025-26 after winning the Saudi Pro Leagie last season. (SPL)
Karim Benzema is confidnt will hit greater heights in 2025-26 after winning the Saudi Pro Leagie last season. (SPL)
Short Url
Updated 28 sec ago

Karim Benzema confident Al-Ittihad will hit even greater heights as 2025-26 Roshn Saudi League season gets underway

Karim Benzema confident Al-Ittihad will hit even greater heights as 2025-26 Roshn Saudi League season gets underway
  • Superstar striker backs his side to collect more trophies following an exceptional 2024-25 campaign
  • RSL and King’s Cup champions begin their title defense away to Al-Okhdood on Saturday

JEDDAH: Karim Benzema is calling on Al-Ittihad to “achieve even more” as the Roshn Saudi League champions begin their title defense when the 2025-26 season gets underway this week.

Al-Ittihad were the dominant domestic team last season, winning the RSL trophy by eight points to reclaim the title they last won in 2023, before claiming a historic double by defeating Al-Qadsiah in the Kings Cup final with a 3-1 victory.

Benzema scored twice in that final to conclude a phenomenal second season in Saudi football. The French forward scored 25 goals across both competitions, including 21 goals and a further nine assists in the RSL. In addition to the team trophies, Benzema picked up the ultimate individual accolade by being named the Saudi Pro League’s Player of the Season.

Reflecting on the success of last season, Benzema said: “I’m very happy finally to have won the league and the cup, which were very important. For me the most important thing is collective trophies. Then, to win an individual award, as I always say, it’s thanks to all my teammates at the club. So, thank you to them, and thank you to the fans as well.

“I said before that one way or another, I was going to win in Ƶ. Thanks also to the people who put their trust in me. We won trophies all together. I’m someone who doesn’t give up until I achieve my goals. It was a lot of hard work, so I’m super happy and I hope it continues.”

The former Ballon d’Or winner also reserved special praise for Al-Ittihad’s supporters.

“We’re lucky to have the best supporters in Saudi,” he said. “Whether at home or away, they’re there. They sing, they push us forward. We always need what’s called the ‘12th man,’ the support of the fans. There’s a real connection with the supporters, and we thank them for the trophies by giving everything on the pitch. It’s really important for us to have fans like ours, and I hope we can continue this way.”

Benzema and his Al-Ittihad teammates take plenty of “confidence” from last season’s success into the new campaign. However, the club captain is aware that winning the double again will be a challenge ahead of their season-opener away to Al-Okhdood on Saturday.

The RSL is the most competitive it has ever been, with clubs across the Kingdom recruiting top talent to strengthen their squads, while Al-Ittihad will also have to balance domestic duties with a return to the AFC Champions League Elite.

Asked how Al-Ittihad can reach new heights, Benzema said: “You just have to look at what we did last year, take everything we did — all the moments that helped us win those trophies — and achieve even more this year. Because the opponents will be tougher. Teams have strengthened. Now, every team wants to beat Al-Ittihad. We need confidence and ambition.

“We can’t always predict the future. But what I can say is that we’ll fight until the end and we’ll do everything to win more trophies, which are the most important thing in football. And above all, to bring joy to everyone.”

Benzema, a five-times UEFA Champions League winner with Real Madrid, was one of the headline names to spearhead this new era for Saudi football when he swapped the Spanish capital for Jeddah in 2023.

In the two years since, the RSL has solidified its status as the leading league in Asia. The Saudi league made a notable impact on the global stage when Al-Hilal reached the FIFA Club World Cup quarterfinals this summer, which included a statement win over English Premier League giants Manchester City.

Benzema has seen the remarkable progress first-hand and expects a bright future for the sport in the Kingdom.

“The level of football in Saudi is rising every year,” he said. “There are very good Saudi players, and I think with hard work, and with the arrival of European players and European coaches, Saudi football can rise even higher.”


Conference League draw includes two-time finalist Fiorentina and reluctant Crystal Palace

Conference League draw includes two-time finalist Fiorentina and reluctant Crystal Palace
Updated 7 sec ago

Conference League draw includes two-time finalist Fiorentina and reluctant Crystal Palace

Conference League draw includes two-time finalist Fiorentina and reluctant Crystal Palace
Fiorentina’s slate of six opponents through mid-December was completed by Rapid Vienna, AEK Athens, Sigma Olomouc and Lausanne
UEFA aims to confirm the fixture schedule by Sunday

MONACO: Fiorentina’s quest to win the Conference League enters a fourth straight season with opponents including Mainz and Dynamo Kyiv from the draw ceremony on Friday.

The Italian club were top ranked in the 36-team draw after being twice a beaten finalist — against West Ham and Olympiakos in back-to-back years — and losing in the semifinals last season.

Fiorentina’s slate of six opponents through mid-December was completed by Rapid Vienna, AEK Athens, Sigma Olomouc and Lausanne. UEFA aims to confirm the fixture schedule by Sunday.

Crystal Palace make their European debut only reluctantly in the third-tier Conference League after a complex legal fight with UEFA.

The English FA Cup winner were demoted by UEFA from the Europa League for a breach of rules limiting investors having a significant stake in multiple clubs who qualify for the same competition. Lyon, majority owned by American businessman John Textor, stayed in the Europa League instead of Palace.

Palace get home games against Alkmaar, KuPS Kuopio of Finland and AEK Larnaca from Cyprus. Palace will go to Poland to play Dynamo Kyiv and also visit Strasbourg and Ireland’s Shelbourne.

Four clubs from Poland were in the draw, while Dynamo also has been playing games there — in Lublin — while Ukraine is unable to stage European games during the Russian military invasion.

Rapid Vienna will make two trips to Poland to play at Lech Poznan and Rakow Czestochowa.

Shakhtar Donetsk are having a rare season outside the Champions League, and will have trips to Ireland, Malta and Scotland to play Shamrock Rovers, Hamrun Spartans and Aberdeen.

Hamrun Spartans are the first club from Malta to qualify for the main phase of a European competition and also will host Switzerland’s Lausanne and Gibraltar’s Lincoln Red Imps.

Political football

UEFA kept Lincoln separate in the draw from Rayo Vallecano because of political tensions between Gibraltar and Spain. Drita of Kosovo were kept apart from Zrinjski Mostar of Bosnia-Herzegovina.

All the Polish teams, also including Legia Warsaw and Jagiellonia, were kept apart in the draw and cannot play each other until the knockout stage next year.

Format and prize money

Conference League teams play six different opponents and are ranked in a single-standings format.

The top eight teams go directly to the round of 16 in March. Teams placed ninth to 24th advance to the knockout playoffs in February. The bottom 12 teams are eliminated.

The Conference League has 285 million euros ($333 million) in UEFA prize money with each club getting a starting fee of 3.17 million euros ($3.7 million).

Europa League draw sets up rematch of 2 European Cup finals, Maccabi trips to Germany

Europa League draw sets up rematch of 2 European Cup finals, Maccabi trips to Germany
Updated 11 min 35 sec ago

Europa League draw sets up rematch of 2 European Cup finals, Maccabi trips to Germany

Europa League draw sets up rematch of 2 European Cup finals, Maccabi trips to Germany
  • Roma will have two trips to Glasgow to play fierce Glasgow rivals Celtic and Rangers
  • Villa’s slate of opponents includes a trip to Fenerbahce

MONACO: The Europa League draw on Friday set up two rematches of European Cup finals and two games in Germany for Israeli club Maccabi Tel-Aviv.

Feyenoord, the 1970 champion of Europe, will host Celtic in one of their league phase games and Nottingham Forest will have a home game against Swedish side Malmo, which were a semi-professional team in 1979 when they lost the European Cup title match to the English club.

Maccabi Tel-Aviv got away games in Germany against Stuttgart and Freiburg, and also will travel to play Aston Villa — in Birmingham, England — and PAOK in Greece.

Israeli clubs have been playing UEFA-organized games in neutral countries for security reasons during the conflict in Gaza, and Maccabi Tel-Aviv have hosted European games this season in Backa Topola, Serbia.

Maccabi Tel-Aviv’s home games are against Dinamo Zagreb, Lyon, Midtjylland and Bologna.

Roma — whose coach Gian Piero Gasperini won the Europa League with Atalanta two season ago — will have two trips to Glasgow to play fierce Glasgow rivals Celtic and Rangers among their eight opponents.

The Europa League uses the same 36-team league format as the Champions League. Teams play eight different opponents during the league phase and are ranked in a single-standings table.

Villa were one of 11 teams in Friday’s draw that played in the Champions League last season, though their coach Unai Emery is a four-time Europa League winner: three times with Sevilla and once with Villarreal.

Villa’s slate of opponents includes a trip to Fenerbahce, which parted ways with coach Jose Mourinho earlier Friday.

Forest are in the second-tier Europa League instead of Crystal Palace, the English FA Cup winner which was demoted by UEFA in a complex case relating to owners having stakes in multiple clubs. Palace will play in the Conference League instead.

Forest and their Portuguese coach Nuno Espirito Santo will play two opponents from Portugal, at home to Porto and away to Braga.

The top eight teams go directly to the round of 16 in March. Teams placed ninth to 24th advance to the knockout playoffs in February. The bottom 12 teams are eliminated.

The 36 Europa League teams will share a prize fund of 565 million euros ($659 million). Each club is guaranteed at least 4.3 million euros ($5 million).


Mourinho leaves Fenerbahce after Champions League failure in latest career blow to the ‘special one’

Mourinho leaves Fenerbahce after Champions League failure in latest career blow to the ‘special one’
Updated 29 August 2025

Mourinho leaves Fenerbahce after Champions League failure in latest career blow to the ‘special one’

Mourinho leaves Fenerbahce after Champions League failure in latest career blow to the ‘special one’
  • His latest short managerial spell leaves the 62-year-old Mourinho’s career at a crossroads
  • Mourinho was considered one of the world’s best coaches

Jose Mourinho’s fall from grace in elite football accelerated Friday when the charismatic Portuguese coach left Turkish club Fenerbahce, two days after failing to get back into the Champions League after a long absence.
His latest short managerial spell – this one lasted barely a year, in a second-tier European league – leaves the 62-year-old Mourinho’s career at a crossroads, with top teams potentially no longer wanting to take a chance on a coach whose best days might be behind him.
Fenerbahce’s elimination at the hands of Benfica in a Champions League qualifying playoff on Wednesday was another blow to the status of Mourinho, who once was considered one of the world’s best coaches and famously had a heated rivalry with Pep Guardiola during their time in Spain with Real Madrid and Barcelona, respectively.
A Champions League winner with Porto and Inter Milan, Mourinho has not coached in the main stage of the marquee competition for six seasons. He won the third-tier Conference League with Roma in 2022 but his time at the Italian club from 2021-24 was pock-marked with squabbles that resurfaced in his brief and chaotic spell in Turkiye.
Turbulent times in Turkiye
There was an incident in April when he grabbed the nose of Galatasaray coach Okan Buruk in the Istanbul derby, earning a three-match ban and a fine.
Indeed, the fiery matches between the two local rivals brought out the worst in Mourinho. Two months earlier, he was handed a four-match ban after making an incendiary comment in the aftermath of a league match against Galatasaray, which announced its intention to start legal proceedings against Mourinho.
Mourinho, who often railed against what he perceived to be poor refereeing in Turkiye, wore the look of a frustrated and unhappy man during his time with Fenerbahce.
Gone was the charm and self-confidence that oozed out of the self-styled “Special One” during the peak years at his first spell at Chelsea from 2004-07, for example.
In October, he even said: “I think the best thing I have to do is when I leave Fenerbahce I go to a club that doesn’t play UEFA competitions. So you find a club in England from the bottom of the table, needs a coach in two years, I am ready to go.”
Who knows, that might be where Mourinho ends up after his departure from Fenerbahce, whose own absence from the Champions League now stretches to 17 seasons.
“We have parted ways with Jose Mourinho,” Fenerbahce posted to its millions of followers in a short statement on its X and Instagram accounts. “We thank him for his efforts for our team and wish him success in his future career.”
There was no immediate statement on the club’s official website.
What next for Mourinho?
Mourinho was once a serial trophy winner, a guarantee of silverware.
Yet that’s now two clubs – Tottenham (from 2019-21) and Fenerbahce – where he hasn’t guided his team to a title. His career trajectory, meanwhile, is heading downwards: from Real Madrid, to Manchester United, to Tottenham, to Roma and then to Fenerbahce.
Coaching the national team of his native Portugal might be one future option for Mourinho, who established a strong reputation for being a pragmatic, tactically astute manager with an uncanny ability to win one-off matches. Those attributes might serve him well in international football.
The days of him leading teams to success in the Champions League or in the top European leagues seem a long way away, however.
Solskjaer also out in Turkiye
It hasn’t been a good couple of days for former Man United managers in Turkiye.
On Thursday, Ole Gunnar Solskjaer, who replaced Mourinho in charge of United in 2018, was fired by Besiktas hours after a loss to Swiss team Lausanne in the Conference League playoffs.
Solskjaer had been in charge since January.


Turki Alalshikh tops Boxing News’ list of the sport’s most powerful figures

Turki Alalshikh tops Boxing News’ list of the sport’s most powerful figures
Updated 29 August 2025

Turki Alalshikh tops Boxing News’ list of the sport’s most powerful figures

Turki Alalshikh tops Boxing News’ list of the sport’s most powerful figures
  • Second successive year that chairman of Ƶ’s General Entertainment Authority has claimed award

RIYADH: Turki Alalshikh, the chairman of Ƶ’s General Entertainment Authority, has claimed the No. 1 spot on Boxing News magazine’s annual ranking of the 50 most powerful and influential figures in the sport.

It is the second successive year that Alalshikh has claimed the accolade after also topping the list last year.

Boxing News, the UK’s oldest boxing publication, highlighted Alalshikh’s selection as part of its annual ranking of the “50 most influential in global boxing.”

The achievement of the Saudi official, who also serves as an adviser at the Royal Court, underscores his growing impact on the international sports stage.

The recognition is also an acknowledgment of the strides that boxing has taken as part of the Kingdom’s Vision 2030 plan to diversify the economy through sports and entertainment.

The Kingdom has increasingly been seen as a global boxing force in recent years and has hosted events which have included Tyson Fury’s heavyweight showdown with Oleksandr Usyk, and Riyadh’s “Day of Reckoning” in 2023.


Pakistan, Afghanistan, UAE to play T20I tri-series from today

Pakistan, Afghanistan, UAE to play T20I tri-series from today
Updated 29 August 2025

Pakistan, Afghanistan, UAE to play T20I tri-series from today

Pakistan, Afghanistan, UAE to play T20I tri-series from today
  • Pakistan, Afghanistan will play tri-series tournament from Aug. 29 to Sept. 7
  • Tournament to help teams prepare for Asian Cricket Council’s T20 Asia Cup

ISLAMABAD: Pakistan, Afghanistan and the United Arab Emirates will participate in a tri-series of Twenty20 international matches, starting today, Friday, to tune up for next month’s Asia Cup followed by the World Cup next year.

The T20I tournament will serve as a launching pad for the teams to prepare for the Asian Cricket Council’s T20 Asia Cup, scheduled to take place in the UAE from September 9 to 28, it added.

India and Sri Lanka will co-host the Twenty20 World Cup in February-March next year.

“The tri-series will feature teams from Pakistan, Afghanistan and the UAE from 29 August to 7 September at the Sharjah Cricket Stadium,” the Pakistan Cricket Board (PCB) said.

The opening match of the tri-series tournament will be played between Afghanistan and Pakistan on August 29.

Each team will play the others twice, giving all sides at least four matches before the top two teams qualify for the final, scheduled on September 7.

Tournament schedule (all matches at Sharjah Cricket Stadium):

29 August — Afghanistan v Pakistan
30 August — UAE v Pakistan
1 September — UAE v Afghanistan
2 September — Pakistan v Afghanistan
4 September — Pakistan v UAE
5 September — Afghanistan v UAE
7 September — Final